Media's Influence on Urban Youths

Everyone loves the fast and fun over the steady. Unless you get all the cool media culture makes to make movies and more about doing better then Fast you wont see anything happen. Volunteering and more will save 2-4 but it wont grab the group.

Society as a whole has been losing its grasp on the concept of delayed gratification for awhile now.

Basically this. I think a lot of this has to do with parenting too. Teach the kids its not about fast money and that is not all to be achieved in life. If you let the media raise your children then I guess they will be wanting to "make love to the woman of their dream in a room full of money out in london while she screams". But if you teach them that hard work pays off and not everyone needs to be a millionaire to be happy then the media won't influence them as much.

But :lol: at the next club banger "Oil futures be dictating your price at the pump" off the album "If my Camry doesn't break this year I might have enough money to re-do my hardwood floors" :smokin

If anyone understands where you're coming from, It's me. 

The children have NO positive role models, single-parent households, influenced by the local pimps and/ or drug dealers and have NO guidance besides negative "guidance" and media's influence to do any and everything (legal or not) to get the "all-might" dollar. 

I have been contemplating ways to reach the youth and trying to build their self-esteem up to where they know they are worth more than only wishing for a life of fast money, drugs and sex. But there are a MULTITUDE of reasons why the youth are the way they are. But we do need to reverse this cycle and steer the youth down the right and psotive pathway, and away from the norm they they have grown too accustomed to.

I came in here to post this. The problem is not necessarily that media/entertainment influences the youth, but it is solely the lack of positive role models or family institutions in these youth's lives. Media is doing what it is supposed to do by definition, entertain. The problem is because these struggling kids have nothing to look up to, they turn to whatever they can. By nature, youth are wired to look to elders for guidance and acceptance. When there is no positive figures in place to do that, they turn to whatever else that is available, which is media.

Now, I do charge the media to be a little more socially and morally responsible, however, I have to keep reminding myself that they are governed by the almighty dollar. When it comes to that, there are no rules. So to get back to my original point, we cannot expect the media to be rearing our youth. That is a task that we (parents, families, role models, etc...) should be doing.

I personally believe young black "youths" (especially females) don't have positive figures on purpose. They know our kids will follow what they see. They know our kids will have limited access to positive influences outside in the outside world, easy way to keep folks dumb. So of course OP.
Or maybe deadbeat *** dads could just be more in their kids lives. "We" have our own channels and don't even put positive **** on there, save for maybe a few TVOne shows nobody watches. Hard to blame the white man when now over 70% of black kids grow up with just their mother.

Or maybe deadbeat *** dads could just be more in their kids lives. "We" have our own channels and don't even put positive **** on there, save for maybe a few TVOne shows nobody watches. Hard to blame the white man when now over 70% of black kids grow up with just their mother.

"We" don't actually own those channels.

...and oftentimes, she ain't even the best candidate to raise a kid. It's just a sad state of affairs...it's a big part of the reason I had to stick around for mine, I refuse to add to the problem.

Parents are horrible nowadays. Especially in my (black) community, adults trying to hold on to their youth by acting like dumb f***s. 13-18 year old dudes making music videos in a house with no shirts on, talkin about they only want top, no p****. And for those saying media has always influenced in this way, STOP IT. It's so damn easy to look at anything you want, anywhere and at anytime. Couldn't do that back in the gap.. 

"We" don't actually own those channels.
Before Bobcat Johnson sold BET to VIacom, they still had trashy ***, stereotypical representations of black people in lieu of a few more positive/educational shows like Teen Summit or the News with Tavis Smiley or Ed Gordon, which gave way for shows like Cita, College Hill, extending 106 and Park to show 30 more minutes of videos, so it's not like that's a new criticism of BET and any number of "Black leaders," to include Spike Lee, haven't also criticized them at some point. Hell, there have been protests on the house of current CEO Deborah Lee.

BET didn't even cover Coretta King's funeral, yet all the "white" news stations did.

BET thinks that playing 1 or 2 thought provoking 30 minute specials with a few experts, Al Sharpton, and Uncle Jesse about hot button topics in the black community (whether Trayvon, voting, or an ironic Stop the Violence themed show) trumps all the other garbage they show and promote.

By the way, Magic Johnson recently launched a new black channel called Aspire that is supposed to be something positive, but I don't know what new shows it has or where to watch it.

Relative to the topic at hand, at 9 o'clock check on Save My Son on Tv One with Dr Tarte. It's about black young men in America and obviously, saving them. We have a sub 50% graduation rate, even lower in some cities and obviously gangs, incarceration, etc. The first episode was about Steve Harvey's Leadership Boot Camp he does at his ranch every summer.

Last edited:
Hmmmm..

Brb ... writing a song about graduating with a masters, getting anice paying gig, all while whipping something nice and getting yambs...

I have a wide circle of friends so I kick it with people from ages 13 to 30+ and I honestly don't think it's as bad as it's portrayed. everyone knows that the media is BS we are all critical of everything on TV and radio. people mock gang bangers and kind of police and guide each other away from that lifestyle. I would say the biggest problem is kids not doing anything with their life and having no clear direction as opposed to doing something negative they are just neutral. a lot of the people I hang with are trying to do their own thing to different levels of success from being featured on CNN and getting a sitcom on ABC, youtube celebrities or kind of just turning their wheels. the college life isn't for everyone and isn't necessarily going to fix all your problems as others have mentioned people are aware of their options some of them kind of "give up" and settle for something like the military or retail management etc that they really don't want but at least their bills are paid. and this is in south central, compton all around LA I don't know what it's like in other hoods I have family in Chicago and they paint a grim picture so maybe it is that bad but out here there's always hope and everybody knows somebody that made it.

I personally believe young black "youths" (especially females) don't have positive figures on purpose.

we have far too mant resources of our own to still be using this excuse.

we have black people with their own gotdamned TV NETWORK. our own ad agencies, TV Studios, etc. but keep thinking its because of some other invisible power....

i believe media is the strongest influence. :smh: :x
they dont know its influencing them ...but it is. it brainwashes you.

....one of the biggest silent problems in the urban community is gender roles. black folks are too busy trying to turn boys into men, and girl into women, when it doesnt work that way. you turn children into responsible ADULTS, they become men/women from that.

Relative to the topic at hand, at 9 o'clock check on Save My Son on Tv One with Dr Tarte. It's about black young men in America and obviously, saving them. We have a sub 50% graduation rate, even lower in some cities and obviously gangs, incarceration, etc. The first episode was about Steve Harvey's Leadership Boot Camp he does at his ranch every summer.

....see, this right here? this is that BS. Steve Harvey is one of the main idiots out there telling women they cant raise boys. its a fallacy.

every one of us grew up with someone who's mama/grandma didnt play, and wouldnt hesitate to snatch a hole in they *** if they got outta line. those kids were raised by women just fine.
every one of us also grew up with someone who lived with they daddy and got away with murder and aint no good to this day.
its a FALLACY, and we need to stop teaching it.

case and point, lets say it was true women couldnt raise boys because they're women. so that means they should have NO PROBLEM raising young girls to be women right? i mean thats the logic behind that BS. but these girls today are just as off the chain as these boys. its obviously alot more to it than just gender.

deadbeat live-in dads are not unicorns, they DO exist. ive seen kids grow up in double parent households or only with their father and end up rotten to the core. the problem is NOT the single parent household.

all it takes to raise a responsible adult is accountability and responsibility. anyone can do this. male, female, it doesnt matter you just have to be consistent.

accountability and responsibility

its simple. but the black community makes it difficult. people like Steve harvey dont make it any better because they are constantly telling mothers what they CANT do, and they soak it right up.

its funny, tell a women they CANT do anything else and you get attitude. but tell a women she cant raise boys and they cant wait to throw the towel in because they cant do it.

its so easy to convince yourself you cant do something when you dont wanna do it in the first place.

im so tired of us using the same tactics to get to kids. theyve been doing it since the 60's. it didnt work for our grandparent, didnt work with out parents, didnt work with us, and it wont work with the next generation. time and time again people think showing kids a positive role model works like ******g magic and *POOF* the kid will instantly do better.

case and point:

Upon arrival, the young men had the opportunity to receive a free haircut and image consulting before sitting down to a Texas steak dinner with a welcome from Harvey. During their stay, they participated in early morning boot camp style exercises, fishing, football, basketball and paintball.

There were a number of workshops that cultivated the principles of manhood and self-determination, such as: You Can Be Me Panel Session; Looking Good and Feeling Healthy; Conversations with Jermaine Dupri; Life Opportunities (Discipline & Motivation); Teen Distracted Driving and a Music 101 and Do-It-Yourself.

HO-LEE-SCHIT!! why didnt EYE think of that? :stoneface:

steak dinners, haircuts, exercises, extra cirricular activities, distracted driving tips, music 101, AND a sitdown with Jermaine Dupri? its the urban communities soulutions solved all in one swipe.

i have a good freind that has a similar program for youth and i asked him how many youth over the years does he think he's reached?

his answer?

maybe 1%

damn bruh? thats it?

thats it.

its time we stopped settling for that 1%. its time we stopped settling for that "as long as i get through to one" attitude. its a losing attitude and we're LOSING by triple digits.

For the past two weeks I've been calling all black kids "urban youths". Now I understand why some white people enjoy subtle racism so much
laugh.gif

It's real simple man. You can't change anybody that doesn't want to be changed consciously fron within. You can give them.steak dinners, fly them to Monaco and have them sit down with the president. It doesn't matter! The moment the dude goes back home and has no sense of self STILL and no definite aim in life he is gonna go back to ************. It's not just black kids that aren't doing ****. I know white kids from Brentwood that aren't doing ****. I know hispanic kids that arent doing ****. In reality there is no ******g excuse, after some point you gotta say, "**** this" and think for yourself. There are kids in Africa,India,eastern Europe,Australia the Pacific islands etc that would KILL just to live in an American hood! The hood is luxurious compared to 3rd world countries. The coldest part about it is there is opportunity EVERYWHERE out here in America ****** up economy or not. This kids out here see all this **** and still don't have the self confidence to reach for nothing while you got kids that are starving to death and have no parents in other countries that smile so hard and appreciate so little like being able to just go to a one room school and have water. Look at Mexicans, they outwork the **** outta us when they come here and they come from extreme poverty to. People are straight up lazy and just want the quickest easiest route that requires the least amount of thinking. This is coming from a dude that got kicked out of four high schools, didn't graduate on time, didn't go to college, lived in the city of los Angeles where there are literally a million traps and my father died when i was young and had no true mentor or constant male attention but guess what? I knew what I wanted to do in this life and I was willing to make the long term sacrifices because I didn't wanna be like everyone around me getting caught up with jail,kids and gang culture. I'll be a multi millionaire before I'm thirty because I challenged myself and have a chief definite aim in life. ***** my own momma tried to kill my dreams and sabotage me at times so I'm sorry ****** is just *****. Problem with black culture is that we identify and glorify "struggle" too much which ultimately leads us down a self inflicted spiral of **** ups. Every body tries to act "hood" or ratchet and the reality is ****** are getting left behind. It's 2012 there is no excuse for this ******** anymore. The internet provides access to whatever information THERE IS! Every human being has the responsibility of at some point taking control of their situation and life. Cats just don't have the drive and everyone wants to be rich because that's the American dream but that isn't realistic or necessary for happiness. The only brain washing is the obsession with materialism amd when you don't have any material that'd all you think about but ****** want to go overboard with it and expect j's, benzes and mansions out the gate. Live fast die young is the motto. There is only so much you can blame on society before you realize that some motha*****as are just flat out stupid and dont really want nothing from life other then sitting on their *** and blaming everything on the boogie man. Don't be that guy. You don't have to join the illuminati, suck someone's **** or sell your soul to the devil to make it. ****** will find any excuse imaginable to why they're broke. Peace

Last edited:
I remember reading a topic on NT a while back about the influence of rap music on the youth. A lot of NTers were pretty adamant that rap was just "entertainment" and did not have any real, tangible effect on the mindset of the youth. I don't agree with this at all (and I listen to rap.) Anyone else's thoughts on this?

Does anyone believe that media has such a strong influence on the lifestyle choices of urban children in today's society? Almost every song/video/etc is about making money the wrong way. Isn't it about time this changes? Thoughts?
No.

I remember reading a topic on NT a while back about the influence of rap music on the youth. A lot of NTers were pretty adamant that rap was just "entertainment" and did not have any real, tangible effect on the mindset of the youth. I don't agree with this at all (and I listen to rap.) Anyone else's thoughts on this?
rap is just a soundtrack to the lives that people are already living based on the environment they grow up in, their family, and how they are as a person. the rationale in shooting up a block, selling drugs, or robbing someone lies deeper than any rapper talking about that. trust me.

....one of the biggest silent problems in the urban community is gender roles. black folks are too busy trying to turn boys into men, and girl into women, when it doesnt work that way. you turn children into responsible ADULTS, they become men/women from that.

....see, this right here? this is that BS. Steve Harvey is one of the main idiots out there telling women they cant raise boys. its a fallacy.

every one of us grew up with someone who's mama/grandma didnt play, and wouldnt hesitate to snatch a hole in they *** if they got outta line. those kids were raised by women just fine.
every one of us also grew up with someone who lived with they daddy and got away with murder and aint no good to this day.
its a FALLACY, and we need to stop teaching it.

case and point, lets say it was true women couldnt raise boys because they're women. so that means they should have NO PROBLEM raising young girls to be women right? i mean thats the logic behind that BS. but these girls today are just as off the chain as these boys. its obviously alot more to it than just gender.

deadbeat live-in dads are not unicorns, they DO exist. ive seen kids grow up in double parent households or only with their father and end up rotten to the core. the problem is NOT the single parent household.

all it takes to raise a responsible adult is accountability and responsibility. anyone can do this. male, female, it doesnt matter you just have to be consistent.

its simple. but the black community makes it difficult. people like Steve harvey dont make it any better because they are constantly telling mothers what they CANT do, and they soak it right up.

its funny, tell a women they CANT do anything else and you get attitude. but tell a women she cant raise boys and they cant wait to throw the towel in because they cant do it.

its so easy to convince yourself you cant do something when you dont wanna do it in the first place.

im so tired of us using the same tactics to get to kids. theyve been doing it since the 60's. it didnt work for our grandparent, didnt work with out parents, didnt work with us, and it wont work with the next generation. time and time again people think showing kids a positive role model works like ******g magic and *POOF* the kid will instantly do better.

case and point:

Upon arrival, the young men had the opportunity to receive a free haircut and image consulting before sitting down to a Texas steak dinner with a welcome from Harvey. During their stay, they participated in early morning boot camp style exercises, fishing, football, basketball and paintball.

There were a number of workshops that cultivated the principles of manhood and self-determination, such as: You Can Be Me Panel Session; Looking Good and Feeling Healthy; Conversations with Jermaine Dupri; Life Opportunities (Discipline & Motivation); Teen Distracted Driving and a Music 101 and Do-It-Yourself.

HO-LEE-SCHIT!! why didnt EYE think of that? :stoneface:

steak dinners, haircuts, exercises, extra cirricular activities, distracted driving tips, music 101, AND a sitdown with Jermaine Dupri? its the urban communities soulutions solved all in one swipe.

i have a good freind that has a similar program for youth and i asked him how many youth over the years does he think he's reached?

his answer?

maybe 1%

damn bruh? thats it?

thats it.

its time we stopped settling for
that 1%. its time we stopped settling for that "as long as i get through to one" attitude. its a losing attitude and we're LOSING by triple digits.

Grossly oversimplifying it. The first "excuse" we will make is well they got no positive role models, nobody who looks like them and comes from the same place who has made it. What better for these at risk youths, than to meet guys who have, and made it in a variety of fields? From their same background? And it's not just the celebrities but Doctor Perry sat down with each of them, they had the Military veterans, educators, and they even bring their parents (mothers) in. 1 of the dudes literally said, "Dang, I've never had an adult male encourage me before," or something to that effect. I don't know the status of him or any of the other kids as of now, but they are certainly better off for having gone. At the least, they learned how to tie a tie, fill out a resume, application, etc. and were challenged and forced to think critically about their actions.

Here is tonight's episode. I don't think this show will last long. We complain about it, but don't watch positive shows enough when they do give us one. http://player.theplatform.com/p/L9TCEC/J0IPZlt_pU0y/select/V3CgUW9HvAOa

Grossly oversimplifying it. The first "excuse" we will make is well they got no positive role models, nobody who looks like them and comes from the same place who has made it. What better for these at risk youths, than to meet guys who have, and made it in a variety of fields? From their same background? And it's not just the celebrities but Doctor Perry sat down with each of them, they had the Military veterans, educators, and they even bring their parents (mothers) in. 1 of the dudes literally said, "Dang, I've never had an adult male encourage me before," or something to that effect. I don't know the status of him or any of the other kids as of now, but they are certainly better off for having gone. At the least, they learned how to tie a tie, fill out a resume, application, etc. and were challenged and forced to think critically about their actions.

im not oversimplifying a damn thing. im speaking from expierience on BOTH sides of the fence. ive been in a program like this back in my HS years. and i worked in a juvenile prison as an adult. so miss me with the oversimplifying accusations.

...."What better for these at risk youths"?

^ ANYTHING other than that. why? because its a TIRED tactic. a tactic thats proven to hardly work.

...sure, its A solution, but not THE solution.

did you even read what i typed? or just skim through? i pointed out that this "they just have to see some examples of positive black men" tactic has been tried on our grandparents, our parents, AND our peers, but things just kept getting worse. obviously some outside the box thinking is needed....something OTHER than the same ole failed tactic producing the same ole results. this 'probelm' with urban youth isnt new at all. it just got worse over the generations.

did you not read how i spoke with someone with a similair program? and how 1% success rate was all recieved from his program. and how that shouldnt be acceptable?

there are certain LIFE SKILLS that these kids need that this program isnt focused on. none of them are.

Really appreciate everyone's opinion. At the end of the day, while media does not seem to have a strong influence on the actions of today's youths, I think it effects all of theme subliminally in some way or another. Just wish there was more role models out there that cared more about getting these kids on the right track, instead of spitting about the illegal things they had to do to get there. But just like **********, everyone has an opinion. 

ive seen kids built up and educated for 9 months. 9 straight months of team building, exercises, extra cirricular activities, discipline, motivation, AND examples of positive role models. only to have them go home on a weekend pass and have mom/dad/brother/sister/aunt/uncle/ or cousin knock all we built down like a Jenga puzzle.

we're talking about getting kids to unlearn GENERATIONS of poor choices and ignorance. the problem is alot more deep and complex than just simply being a matter of positive role models. you wanna talk about oversimplifying something? THATS oversimplifying.

truth be told you cant even begin to think about talking to these youth until you reeducate these parents and grandparents. until then we're just spinning our wheels....settling for that 1 out of 100, while we continue to fall further and further behind.

one thing ive noticed in my professional expierience when dealing with these types of kids is, as much or as many different positive role models you can show them; they still dont view the accomplishments of that person as an attainable goal.

to them that doctor, lawyer, that successful business owner...who looks like them, who comes from where they come from, who grew up with the same roadblocks and still made it? it may as well have been Michael Jordan in their eyes.

^ THATS how out of reach those accomplishments seem to them even AFTER going through these types of urban youth programs.

ironically enough, you'll get more work and effort out of them trying to be Michael Jordan than being that doctor, lawyer, or successful business owner.

Back
Top Bottom