Mental health and therapy - y'all up on game?

Famb,

Anyone in here go to therapy? Have questions about mental health? Battling with mental health issues?

Let's talk about it, kinfoe.

Im not knocking therapy but i never understood it.

how can someone......who i really dont know.....help me with whats going on in MY head?

To me its just someone to tell your problems to.

I dont see any situation that would warrant me to seeing a therapist.

Always found the best therapy was going to a beach or a woody area.

Managing personal stress is something so many people have trouble with.  Be your own therapist.

Better off talking about your problems on NT and wait for serious NTer to some advice

Saves you money and possibly better advice/help

IDK, not for me.

But I want to lay the pipe down on Krista, Elliot's therapist in Mr. Robot. :evil:

Always wanted to smash a sexy therapist :lol:.

how can someone......who i really dont know.....help me with whats going on in MY head?

Therapy helped me get out of a pretty deep clinical depression I developped during my lung surgery recovery and early onset of my chronic disease. I was prescribed Zoloft as well but personally I feel like the therapy helped the most. I came out of the depression as a much stronger man but I still visit my therapist when there are new developments in my disease or to talk about plans for the future if there is some form of treatment.
I'll expand on the benefits of therapy later

Last edited:

because most people don't even know what's going on in their own head. they need someone to explain it to them.

Therapy helped me get out of a pretty deep clinical depression I developped during my lung surgery recovery and early onset of my chronic disease. I was prescribed Zoloft as well but personally I feel like the therapy helped the most. I came out of the depression as a much stronger man.
I'll expand on the benefits of therapy later

How did it help?

because most people don't even know what's going on in their own head. they need someone to explain it to them.

Interesting

Im just speaking for me personally.

I dont think people who seek therapy are in any ways weaker or that im in any way stronger

People heal their wounds in different ways....im just saying i dont think that method would work for me.

I think its really interesting though...psychiatry. ...mental therapy....things like that.

How did it help?
Interesting
I was strongly against going to see a therapist because I thought I had it all figured out and a therapist would be useless.

Often we think that we've got it all figured out, but a therapist can tell you a lot more about yourself that you might be blind to. And sometimes you need to be confronted with things you're shutting out in order to make progress. A therapist is simply much better equipped to do that than anyone else.

Personally, I don't like talking about my struggle and feelings in real life. I only feel comfortable doing so in a relatively anonymous setting, such as here on NT. My therapist is kind of the middle ground here. At first I was rather uncomfortable but along the way I opened up and that's when I noticed I was really making progress towards getting out of my depression.

The stigma of seeking professional help plays a large role in mental health issues. There's nothing wrong with seeking help, nor does it make anyone weaker for doing so. There's people from all walks of life that see a therapist.

Not seeking help isn't a sign of strength, it's self destructive. If I didn't seek out help I'd probably still be in that depression because my condition has gotten much worse since then.

Last edited:
For me, great therapy is writing long letters...

In your mind, you have a ton of things going, and sometimes you can't quite compartmentalize things...

So thoughts get jumbled and you Hever really get to a solution.

Writing things diwn let's me get everything out and solve problems.

Damn you dudes are harsh. Some people need someone to just talk to.

This.

Yep. And a lot of times, a complete stranger is the best because you'll get an unbiased answer

And all of this.

I'd feel better talking to a professional that's been studying the human thought process for decades.

I'm thankful I haven't had to go through anything significant enough to warrant therapy but this shaming of mental illness is :smh:

I was strongly against going to see a therapist because I thought I had it all figured out and a therapist would be useless.
Often we think that we've got it all figured out, but a therapist can tell you a lot more about yourself that you might be blind to. And sometimes you need to be confronted with things you're shutting out in order to make progress. A therapist is simply much better equipped to do that than anyone else.
Personally, I don't like talking about my struggle and feelings in real life. I only feel comfortable doing so in a relatively anonymous setting, such as here on NT. My therapist is kind of the middle ground here. At first I was rather uncomfortable but along the way I opened up and that's when I noticed I was really making progress towards getting out of my depression.

The stigma of seeking professional help plays a large role in mental health issues. There's nothing wrong with seeking help, nor does it make anyone weaker for doing so. There's people from all walks of life that see a therapist.
Not seeking help isn't a sign of strength, it's self destructive. If I didn't seek out help I'd probably still be in that depression because my condition has gotten much worse since then.

Well said.

I've been to multiple therapists and:

Last edited:
Yea, I go every thursday. The sessions have gotten less intense over time but I still appreciate the objective insight.

Simply being able to verbalize your issues can promote improvement

Back
Top Bottom