Michael Jackson to lose Neverland Ranch (article)

eek.gif

Michael Jackson's Neverland Ranch is set be sold at auction on March 19.

Jackson received word Monday from Financial Title Company, the trustee, that unless he pays off $24,525,906.61 by that date, a public auction will go forward in Santa Barbara, Calif., in front of the county courthouse.

It's not just the house either. When Neverland is auctioned, it will include everything: all personal property inside, all fixtures and appliances, furniture, and "all merry go round type devices," any rides, games. The auction literally includes every single thing that is or isn't nailed down.

• /projects/pdf/AR-BC320_20080226_114706.pdfClick here to read the notice of sale.

At this point, Jackson may just let the auction proceed. He hasn't been at Neverland since June 30, 2005, when he departed for Bahrain. No one lives there, the animals in the zoo are all gone, the rides are either sold or shut down.

Financially, Jackson remains in no position to cure his dilemma. Even though he refinanced his $300 million loan from Fortress Investments with help from Sony Music, HSBC and Barclays Bank, the Neverland loan was not part of that deal. Fortress would clearly like to get out of the Jackson business altogether now, so selling at auction is their answer.

What if no one comes up with a decent bid? Fortress will likely take possession and list the property with a Santa Barbara real estate broker. Neverland could be marketed as a corporate retreat. Or perhaps a very wealthy new owner will show up and make a fire sale pitch.

But an era is about to end forever: Jackson, who brought this on himself, is about to lose one of his two biggest assets. All that will remain after that will be his song publishing interests, and they are leveraged into the next millennium.

More to come...

End of an era...

Side-note: Just as I'm posting this, the video for "Scream" comes on.
roll.gif

laugh.gif
dude did himself in, coulda made himself into anything... I guess he wanted to be sponsered by pedo bear

62f2687113084137a9df47348d8d480d5d6a37da.bmp

Fortress is right across the street from where I work and I have been involved in a few potential deals with them. Guys I've met there are all extremelyintelligent and great at making money so I am a little surprised they are mixed up in this but I guess it could have been before it was clear MJ was insane orthere is more to this loan than the article states. Interesting nonetheless

Originally Posted by nycknicks105

that insane..how broke is this dude?
how can he be broke when he owns " publishing rights" to songs that are still playing to this day?? he owns like couple hundred mill of sharewith SONY.

how in the world cant he pay that back? man owns the rights to music that still gets played..and is one of the most best selling artists of all time

Originally Posted by PeterJamesThe3rd

Originally Posted by yamakazi18

300 mil loan is insane.

belive it or not... Micheal's money his longer then that...

Not according to this NY Times article:
After listening to Mr. Jackson, Robert S. Wiesenthal, a senior Sony executive, eventually proposed that Sony would help the singer find a bank to lend him more than $300 million to pay off his debts. In exchange, Mr. Jackson would possibly forfeit a portion of his half of the Beatles catalog.

Just last month, Mr. Jackson - still swamped in debt, with his musical career in stasis and his personal life limned by scandal - agreed to that financial overhaul. It is likely to strip him of about half of his remaining stake in the catalog, which he has relied on as a financial lifeline for about a decade. According to executives involved in the restructuring talks, Mr. Jackson used the catalog, as well as copyrights to his own songs, as collateral for roughly $270 million in bank loans he took out to fund a spending spree that includes upkeep for his sprawling California ranch, Neverland, and other exotic luxuries.

Given how precarious Mr. Jackson's financial situation appears to be, it is unclear how long he will be able to retain his remaining stake in his prized music catalog. A reckoning appears near, and Mr. Jackson's ability to hold onto his fortune has proven to be as fleeting as stardom itself.

smh.gif

I'm still in awe that the "King of Pop" is basically broke.

If that was me I'd take the Biggie approach: "I got lawyers watchin' lawyer, so I don't go broke..."

Back
Top Bottom