Michael Jordan laced up his 4's like this.

1656d9e6_IMG_1827_.jpeg

Hi there, I was thrilled when I was able to buy the original black/cement 4's in 1989. I've only ever liked the 4's, the black/cement is by far my favorite. I had the original grape 5's, but never loved them. I had the white/cements also. I got the reissue 4's in 2012 from a split combo pack, and have the cool grey's also, and just got the Royalty's which I love, but haven't worn yet (it's winter).

Anyway, I also bought Sports Illustrated when MJ was on it, the Raging Bull cover shows how he laced up his 4's and so I did it the same way. Back then Jordans didn't come already laced up, lacing them up yourself for the first time was one of the best parts. So that's how I do it, and I like the way it looks. Am I the only one?

I was lucky enough to have the original Air Jordan I in white/red/black when they first came out.  I didn't have another Jordan until the white/fire red/black V's with the black tounge, although I would have done anything to get any one of the IV colorways.  I agree that one of the best things is lacing them up your own way for the first time.  I actually take the laces out of the retros and re-lace them how I like them.  Haha.

I know from pictures about what you are saying about how MJ laced up his IV's.  Kind of cool to see how he did it back in the day.  For me the laces are waaaaay to long to do it that way now, because I only like the laces in the first eyelet on the top wing.

Nice, a reply. thanks :smile: I actually had the military blue 4's first, but the winglet / triangle broke so I took them back to the store and they had just got a new shipment of the black / cement, I was sooo lucky to get those, still love them far more than any other AJ....I know what you mean about the laces being too long, I actually tie up my shoes, but seems like most don't, I don't care, I rarely even see anyone else wearing AJ's anyway. I have the laces tucked inside my new Royaltys for now, I've only worn them around the house so far...and hug them when I sit on the couch, feels the same as when I got them new in '89 :smile:

Last edited:
You're pretty observant to notice the way MJ laced his sneakers.

Regarding the "lace yourself period", I was not a fan. Honestly, I always thought it was a royal pain. Never understood why they didn't come laced up.
However, I'm old enough to remember buying Pro Keds and Converse All-Stars and having the shoe salesman always lacing them for me.
Yes, it was the norm back then. A salesman bought out your sneakers from the stockroom and and laced them for you.

Anyway, thanks for posting and sharing some memories.

Last edited:
Here is a question for you.....On the OG IV's, are the wings/eyelets made from the same type of material as the current retros?  I know that my '99 WC 4 Retro are, but the OG's from '89 look like a thicker type of more rigid plastic.  Can't remember back to 1989 when I saw them in person.  Haha.  Just wondering if pics are deceiving.

Also, is it possible for you to post a pic of the wings/eyelets?  I would love to see an up close pic if they are the same or different.

Thanks for the assist NikeRider...I wasn't sure why my pics weren't showing up...

I'm not sure if the wings/eyelets were thicker on the OGs.

I was able to return my military blues because the wing/eyelet cracked, I think it got too cold because I was wearing them outside in winter...I still remember is pretty vividly, but not enough to know for sure if they were thicker back then...

My OG black/cement and white/cements were destroyed but might still be at my parents house, I always meant to keep them, but I'm not sure if they threw them out...The foam around the ankle had dried out and turned to like honeycomb and just crumbled...

Back
Top Bottom