Michael Jordan's Prime

MJ is still considered the greatest basketball player ever. To those of us who had to privilege of watching him in the 80s and 90s, saw him grow from an athletic scoring phenom to a wiser all around Hall of Famer and Champion. 
Throughout his career, which year do you think was his prime and why?  In my opinion, I would have to say the '90-'91 season where he won his 2nd MVP title, first championship ring and first finals MVP. He just seemed invincible that year, sweeping the Pistons in the ECF and taking out the showtime Lakers in 5 during the Finals and of course the famous "switch hand" layup:

Originally Posted by seasoned vet

...the infamous 'switch hand' layup was wack, and i seen it live.

For real doe, no one speaks on it because the media has told us its sooooo epic. Actually, he kinda did it for no reason. He thought another defender was gonna come but they didn't.

...the infamous 'switch hand' layup was wack  
Been saying this for YEARS.  I actually even made a thread about it years ago.  It is THE most overrated play in the history of sports.

Simply the greatest
glasses.gif

compared to the other dunks and lay-ups he's done....  i agree with everyone how that switch hand is overrated. He could have just dunked it with the right hand... Sam Perkins has like a 2" vertical, lol 
laugh.gif
  Now that double triple pump reverse thing he did against NJ 
eek.gif
  Thats way underrated

Anyway back to the topic.... too lazy to google stats now,  but that 72-10 year I thought was his prime.  Didn't seem like he missed a fadeaway that year
laugh.gif
   Had a great balance of athletic ability outside shooting

Originally Posted by dland24

seasoned vet wrote:

...the infamous 'switch hand' layup was wack  
Been saying this for YEARS.  I actually even made a thread about it years ago.  It is THE most overrated play in the history of sports.
Haven seen the clip in awhile but I think it was Sam Perkins who he thought was coming to challenge.
At any rate, totally unnecessary switching hands.

how are people calling the switching of hands unnecessary with some of the stuff these dudes do out here today.

2nd championship ... but jordan during the first 3 peat was unreal ...

late 80s he was ballin' though and it would be hard to argue w/ that not being his prime ...

The switch hand had a lot more to do with telling the Lakers that its his time, and he will do whatever the hell he wants and they won't stop him. It was such an unnecessary yet big statement play.
pimp.gif

Sucks to be young enough to not see Jordan tear it up in the early 90's... but I'd say 91-93 was "prime" but those Jazz days he was still that dude

While nice......they show it all the time and it becomes stale.  However, depending on the angle your watching it from, it is beautiful to watch. 
pimp.gif

I liked 95-96. I just thought in those years he was in great shape but developed that killer jumpshot that he didn't have in the first three peat. Sure, he couldn't do some of the crazy things he did before but I just thought his game was a better balance.

Originally Posted by kdawg

I liked 95-96. I just thought in those years he was in great shape but developed that killer jumpshot that he didn't have in the first three peat. Sure, he couldn't do some of the crazy things he did before but I just thought his game was a better balance.

Agreed. He had a more balanced game, and pretty much a more seasoned competitor. This was definitely his prime.

He had more than one set of "prime" years/periods, imo.

88-90 = Athletic and Physical Prime (MVP and DPOY in the same year 
pimp.gif
)

91-93 = Blends both his athletic/physical prime and his skill/mental game.  He finally started to trust his teammates through the triangle, refined his jumper, and was becoming a great post weapon.

96-98 = Mental and Skill Prime, necessary because his athleticism was waning.

I personally favor 91-93.

91-93 he was just on another level.

MJ was dope... but he would only average 23-25ppg if he played in the NBA today.

Originally Posted by MoonMan818

MJ was dope... but he would only average 23-25ppg if he played in the NBA today.
Of course, Money is 49 years old.  I say, around 12-16 ppg would be more accurate.

^Well ya he's like 50 now
laugh.gif

If it was prime Jordan playing today???? You know how Rondo's bball IQ is off the charts and ppl say "what if he had a jumper" he'd be that smart of a player, with Kobe's current game cerebral perimeter game (who he mimicked after MJ anyways) , with Ginobili like ability to get to the hoop, peppered in with Lebron-esque athleticism
eek.gif
eek.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by CAto312

Of course, Money is 49 years old.  I say, around 12-16 ppg would be more accurate.
If Michael Jordan came out today, he wouldn't be nearly as good as back in the day....

And Money at 49 wouldn''t even be able to get up and down the court
laugh.gif

this guy talking about 12-16ppg

Originally Posted by CAto312

If Michael Jordan came out today, he wouldn't be nearly as good as back in the day....

And Money at 49 wouldn''t even be able to get up and down the court
laugh.gif

this guy talking about 12-16ppg
Tongue in cheek comment in response to yours....

MoonMan you are an imbecile did you forget how he played against the top players of today while he was 40.�Great video but your more than�welcome to skip to the end and witness the respect�from the�players.
�  

Here are other videos to show the heart, dedication, athleticism, and fundamentals he possessed. 

Originally Posted by JD617

eek.gif

But yeah, that was a blatant troll comment. Just leave it alone.

laugh.gif

Sounds like a spice.

Jordan averaged 22 ppg at 40 years old, so I don't see how anyone would think he would only be able to get 23-25ppg in his prime.

Always thought it was very overrated by the media. Great lay-up but it's not even in his top 5 best lay ups. 
Now this right here is incredible

Now to the question. Sadly
tired.gif
, I didn't have the opportunity to watch him tear it up during his first couple years in the league but I did get to watch most of the Bulls domination during the latter half of his career so I can't really speak on the first part of his career. Looking back,I'd say that his prime where he was at his peak in terms of performance and success would probably be '91-'96 imo. I see that he was an absolute MONSTER in his first few years in the league but he hadn't reached the level of success that he did during the 90's.

Back
Top Bottom