Michael Jordan's Prime

I think you guys/media over analyze the lay-up.

With that said, that's a heck of a play. Just for the fact of the spot he took off from, just the athleticism to pull that off on that stage is big time...

With that said, it's shown waaaayyy too much there are a bunch of other plays that stick out to me.

Originally Posted by Rolaholic

Originally Posted by seasoned vet

...the infamous 'switch hand' layup was wack, and i seen it live.

Always thought it was very overrated by the media. Great lay-up but it's not even in his top 5 best lay ups.�
Now this right here is incredible

Now to the question. Sadly
tired.gif
, I didn't have the opportunity to watch him tear it up during his first couple years in the league but I did get to watch most of the Bulls domination during the latter half of his career so I can't really speak on the first part of his career. Looking back,I'd say that his prime where he was at his peak in terms of performance and success would probably be '91-'96 imo. I see that he was an absolute MONSTER in his first few years in the league but he hadn't reached the level of success that he did during the 90's.
I was going to post this
pimp.gif

This >>>>> Switch Hand Layup

Jordan in his prime today would scare everyone minus Kobe and KG.

Especially with the softness of dudes looking for calls, getting touch fouls, and showing the lack of heart. He would be slapping dudes in practice and while he was winning 3-4 straight he would be more hated than Lebron and Kobe combined for his antics.

Today with him being the face of the league the following WOULD happen:

-Would win 3 dunk contest and quit because of lack of competition
-Lead a weak team to the finals, possibly lose but bounce back to win multiple titles dude to the 2k type of trades and drafting going on
-Be in multiple closed door fights with teammates and not a dambs given about the media spotlight, Stern would put him in check since he's the face of the league
-Punk dudes like Lebron, Durant, Kobe, and others for challenging him. Kobe, Durant, Westbrook, and Pierce would be the only ones able to take the verbal onslaught and not back down.
-Scoring title trophy would have his name on it because he would get the calls
-Big 3 would exist but not have that stupid ceremony before doing anything and probably be cheered for to beat Jordan
-Kobe would be loved, simply because of the hate for Jordan. He would be so good and so Barry Bondish towards the media they would do their best to paint an evil picture of him. Average fans would hate him, but those who know the game would love him and the slogan "Be like Mike" will still be sang for a decade.

The switch hand layup may have been overrated by the media and yes it may have been an "unnecessary" move for he could have just easily dunked it, but you have to admit, nobody else had ever done it in the NBA.  He was the master of the circus shot. He made every move look smooth and graceful.  Nobody even compares to how beautiful his form was. 
With that said, here's a couple of videos displaying some of the more rare footage of MJ throughout his career:

(If somebody could embed the videos, that'd be great)

Originally Posted by dland24

Originally Posted by seasoned vet

...the infamous 'switch hand' layup was wack  
Been saying this for YEARS.  I actually even made a thread about it years ago.  It is THE most overrated play in the history of sports.
I'm just bitter because it was against my team. 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by LuckyP90

Originally Posted by JD617

eek.gif

But yeah, that was a blatant troll comment. Just leave it alone.

laugh.gif

Sounds like a spice.

Jordan averaged 22 ppg at 40 years old, so I don't see how anyone would think he would only be able to get 23-25ppg in his prime.

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Ol' ESL sounding boy tryna throw shots.

LOL... I was obviously reaching on the ppg...but he wouldn't be putting up 30+ppg like in the 80s and 90s...

On top of the rule changes, people don't realize that back in the day, players took pride in their defense and relied on little to no help when guarding stars... Can you imagine what we would be saying about Lebron James if he played in the late 80s-90s
30t6p3b.gif
  and I hate the guy.

How come people get so butt-hurt when you don't think that MJ would be nearly as legendary if he played today?

Originally Posted by MoonMan818

91-93 he was just on another level.

MJ was dope... but he would only average 23-25ppg if he played in the NBA today.
Yea ok............

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

91-93 he was just on another level.

MJ was dope... but he would only average 23-25ppg if he played in the NBA today.
Yea ok............
Exactly
laugh.gif

Thanks for the lulz

during his 3rd year he was on all time great track, he scored 37 per game, 8 more than the NEXT DUDE!!!!!
heck his rookie year he finished 6th in MVP voting
most shots jordan ever shot in a season 27......wilt shot more than 27 in a season 7 times
and one more thing i find it comical when people say kobe just needs 2 more pass MJ......kobe needs to worry about passing magic first 

most called jordan GOAT after his 2nd by his 3rd it was a fact.....next 3 were just icing on the cake.......no contest

jordans layup vs nets was sick, when you watch the nets layup look at nets bench
roll.gif

Originally Posted by LuckyP90

Originally Posted by JD617

eek.gif

But yeah, that was a blatant troll comment. Just leave it alone.

laugh.gif

Sounds like a spice.

Jordan averaged 22 ppg at 40 years old, so I don't see how anyone would think he would only be able to get 23-25ppg in his prime.
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Ol' ESL sounding boy tryna throw shots.

LOL... I was obviously reaching on the ppg...but he wouldn't be putting up 30+ppg like in the 80s and 90s...

On top of the rule changes, people don't realize that back in the day, players took pride in their defense and relied on little to no help when guarding stars... Can you imagine what we would be saying about Lebron James if he played in the late 80s-90s
30t6p3b.gif
  and I hate the guy.

How come people get so butt-hurt when you don't think that MJ would be nearly as legendary if he played today?

So you are saying since Bron would have been played one on one he would beast back in the 80's-90's?

I don't think so because hand checking was allowed, he's not getting those touch calls while driving to the rim, and the trash talk would make him curl up like a baby. He can't handle the hate from fans today let alone a league of old school brutes who would talk and give you a hard foul while standing over you taunting.  

On top of that he won't have the luxury of that player being tossed from the game either.  They would still be in his ear.

it wouldnt be fair..mike jordan would shoot 15-20 free throws a game if he played now-a-days...its a different game...

His game was so finesse but lethal. I'd say 84-93 in terms of athleticism and 95-98 in mastering his perimeter shot.

But the game against the Nets where he switched his layup several times was just insane!!!  
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

The switch hand had a lot more to do with telling the Lakers that its his time, and he will do whatever the hell he wants and they won't stop him. It was such an unnecessary yet big statement play.
pimp.gif
This! plus that's not an easy play esp with how he was leaning in the air. Go try it in a regulation game. Basically like said above; it was a "get on my level" arrogant move. Like when he would flip the ball behind his back n hit his wrist at the end of plays 
laugh.gif

It is really hard to say.
Physically MJ made the most insane moves in the late 1980's and early 1990's.
But his clutch and game matured much during the whole 1990's.
MJ's physical skills in terms of jumping power and speed started to fade
after he retired in 1993.
In an interview MJ said that he could not perform the foul line dunk anymore
in 1995. And the dunks during his 2nd 3peat seasons were also being less spectacular.
MJ's fadeaway was perfect since the 1996 season though.
Personally I prefer watching him playing in the early 1990's.
From 1996 to 2003 he mostly scored through his fadeaway jumpers and had less
awesome drives to the basket.

roll.gif

the last thing i came in here to see was slander against the switched handed lay up

i thought MJ's prime began in 91 and continued into 93. that first three peat was special - that 91 team was a fantastic team too

This is a tough question to answer because Jordan brought two types of games when he was playing.

From 84-93 he was more of a power player that depended on his athleticism. But from 95-98/00-02, his game become more refined and relied heavily on his footwork and fundamentals.

With all that being said, I would have to think his best years were 91-93 and 96-98. Although, I'd give the 96-98 Jordan more of a look at. He's game was just much more prettier to look at.

Back
Top Bottom