middle eastern food appreciation?

I think Lamb Biryani is on hit with onion, garlic, or just plain naan. Ive only ate at the one on Mason and Eddy in San Francisco though. I forget thename..Punjab somethin

Indian food >

Some people just don't try the right Indian food so they think it's nasty.

LOL.

You guys got it right.

Sucks for me, as I'm in a part of the midwest where Middle East food is hard to come by, same with Indian food.

And, yeah, Gyros are Greek, and I get my fix weekly, as a bunch of badass Greeks go to my church, and hook me up raw.

Appreciated
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by tml09

Originally Posted by Hazeleyed Honey

^
I know the first one is knafeh. Is the second one harisseh?My mom just made harisseh the other day. I like knafeh more though, but harisseh is not bad. I am actually not too much into Middle Eastern sweets. I tend to be very picky when it comes to the desserts.
Yup. I can down a whole pan of my mom's hareeseh (esp when it's fresh out the oven dripping with syrup
eek.gif
pimp.gif
) and then a cup of water to wash it down. I swear, I must have tried a bazzillion kinds of harreeseh recipes only none comes close to my moms. It's heavenly
laugh.gif
Needless to say, I'm gonna have to learn it when I get back home. And kanafeh is the most delicious thing to grace this beautiful earth right after hareeseh.

But for lunch/dinner it's usually any of what Praise the XI mentioned, not to mention some mloukhieh and beef/lamb shawarma.
devil.gif

I should try your mom's harisseh then! I agree with Knaffeh. But you have not tried one or eaten the best ones unless you've eaten the ones fromNablus, Palestine. They have this specialized cheese they make it with. Absolutely delicious.

I LOVE mloukieh too. But one of my fave Middle Eastern dishes, definitely Mansaf. Jordanisn dish. It is mainly rice, ground beef/lamb pieces, this specialbread on the bottom, nuts on top, and liquid cooked yogurt poored all over. SO GOOD!
mansaf%5B3%5D.jpg

Anyone know if there's any good middle-eastern restaurants in Oregon? I know it's not exactly the best part of the U.S. to be looking for it, but Idon't want to go all the way back to Qatar to get good Arabic food.

knafeh bi jibn!
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Originally Posted by Praise The X I

My mom cooks Arabic food every single day.
smile.gif

Malubi, Warah, Mahshi, Imjadara, Bamya, Malfoof, You name it. The Middle Eastern Heads will DEF know what the hell I just typed. haha

eek.gif
I'm guessing you're not a native speaker by the way you typed some of those foods? But yes, I love them all.

Originally Posted by Rexanglorum

Did you get that at Zankou or another Armenian spot because those pickled beets are so distinctive.

Thanks to living in a community with lots of people from the Middle East, I have quite few friends from those cultures and because of their cultural demand for hospitality, I have been offered a lot of coffee and tea and various mezas with pita and other small meals whenever I visit them and their mom or aunt or grandmother is at home. I have been influenced so much that when people come over, especially if they are older Middle Eastern people from the neighborhood, I always offer them some tea and snacks. I have also been invited to dinner with them and a couple of parties and as a guest have been offered some of the choicest parts of the lambs they are cooking, including parts of the brain and eyes and them and over other thing odd and end of the lamb can be made good with a bit olive oil.

The food is flavorful and aside from a few fried dishes, it is usually very healthy, mostly vegetarian, often vegan, full of unsaturated fat (olive oil, nuts), high in fiber (the sauces are made from legumes or veggies), it has lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, the dairy produces like feta and labna are full of calcium but low in fat, soups and salads that are delicious but have few calories and even the drinks (coffee and tea) are full of antioxidants. It places with lots of seafood and where religious and/or where cultural mores encourage frequent but moderate wine drinking, it is the perfect diet for longevity.

I also like it because it good for eating in the heat of summer. When it is hot I have a weak appetite and if I was active during the heat of the day, I really have almost no appetite but I can always have some dolmas or pita dipped in lanba and many other Middle Eastern dishes which are cold. The fact that many Middle Easterners are from some of the hottest places on Earth, the menu has plenty of dishes whose ideal temperature is cool and that sort of food is much easier to eat then a steaming hot bowl of soup or a piece of roast pork.

It is appreciated for many reasons.

lol, nice breakdown. Middle Eastern food is some of the tastiest and healthiest food possible. And most people don't even include fish and other seafoodwhen they think of the cuisine, but it's a big part of it.

Granted, there are some dishes that wouldn't be considered the healthiest.... Butter, lard, sugar, etc. are often big ingredients, but I think the massiveamounts of greens make up for it.

And seriously, the rest of the world should be ashamed of what they consider a "salad." It's usually full of tasteless lettuce and offset byunhealthy dressing. Fattoush and tabbouleh %%%! on everyone else's salad. Best %%%! ever.

And seriously, the rest of the world should be ashamed of what they consider a "salad." It's usually full of tasteless lettuce and offset by unhealthy dressing. Fattoush and tabbouleh %%%! on everyone else's salad. Best %%%! ever.
truth!

I make the meanest salad with lemon juice as the dressing.

Being a picky vegetarian, I live off this stuff
laugh.gif

And for the record harisseh > knaffeh
tongue.gif

Originally Posted by SdotCAR619

the only middle eastern food i like is gyros. i tried some indian food at work and it was a damn waste of money
sick.gif
sick.gif
Lets clear some things up...

Gyros is Greek Food.

India is not in the Middle East. Indian food is not the same as Middle-Eastern/Arabic food.

Anyways...chicken shawarma, waraq eineb, molokhia wa roz, bamia wa roz...macarona bashamel, salata Lebnany, hummus...I can go on for days
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

dont forget the kabsa (roasted chicken with rice), faham (chicken b-b-q), and mandi laham (kinda steamed lamb)
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by whywesteppin

knafeh bi jibn!
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Originally Posted by Praise The X I

My mom cooks Arabic food every single day.
smile.gif

Malubi, Warah, Mahshi, Imjadara, Bamya, Malfoof, You name it. The Middle Eastern Heads will DEF know what the hell I just typed. haha

eek.gif
I'm guessing you're not a native speaker by the way you typed some of those foods? But yes, I love them all.
lol it took me forever to realize what malubi was, he just pronounces it like he hears it, for example in my family it maglubi

is that a shawarma plate up there? almost same here, but here it has french fries on the side and kubos (pita bread) now im hungry
roll.gif

Back
Top Bottom