Military recruiters: on campus or otherwise. Your thoughts?

How do you feel seeing military members recruiting young men to the armed service, especially during war time? I see them everywhere: the mall, job fairs, and,most visibly, on college and even high school campuses.

UC Santa Cruz made national headlines when Students Against War protests forcibly evicted a Marines recruiter from campus in 2005, citing moral objection tothe war, and resistence to recruitment at places of higher learning. The FBI listed UCSC as a "credible threat" to national security following theprotest, but the military did not return in 2006 or 2007.

A recruiter is expected to be present at this year's job fair, and students are preparing to rally once again. I'm interested in seeing how otherpeople react to such a highly divisive situation.

I used to see them in high school a lot. One of my good friends was going to join the navy and this air force recruiter would come have lunch with us everyday.SHe literally would sit next to us and ask us if we needed anything. She wanted to bang my boy but he thought she was nasty. So we got her to buy us pizza forthe last two weeks of school.

When I was working the mall there was one that always came in. I just told him I go to Oxford University and I'm on scholarship so the military would do meno good. He just scratched his head and headed for the door.

They just doing there Job, if the military aint for you ignore them and go on with your day.

We need a military so it I find it silly to protest against recruiters. I'm from Berkeley, Ca and I am so tired of "code pink" and their protestin Berkeley.

However, I do not agree with how they can target naive young adults. I had way too many friends who enlisted in the military not really knowing what they aregetting into. I guess if you aren't going to college or have a job after high school it is a good opportunity? I say get another dream. . .

Originally Posted by The Fresh Sole

I used to see them in high school a lot. One of my good friends was going to join the navy and this air force recruiter would come have lunch with us everyday. SHe literally would sit next to us and ask us if we needed anything. She wanted to bang my boy but he thought she was nasty. So we got her to buy us pizza for the last two weeks of school.

Yep, they'll do that. I knew someone else who did the same thing. There was also a recruiter who called literally every morning for my brother. I useto contemplate whether or not I liked military recruiters being on campus and im still not sure how I feel.

Although i would never join the militray and i would also advise my kids against joining, i think the military should be able to recruit at any institution inthe United States or its territories that receive federal funding. The probem is, is that we do need a military and that they have to recruit fromsomewhere. If they arent recruiting from high schools or colleges where else are they going to recruit?

I don't think they should be on HS campuses. They talk a good game and some kids might not be up on it.

I'm from Berkeley, Ca and I am so tired of "code pink" and their protest in Berkeley.

Ugh. I don't think anyone likes those bozos. How stupid.

However, I do not agree with how they can target naive young adults. I had way too many friends who enlisted in the military not really knowing what they are getting into. I guess if you aren't going to college or have a job after high school it is a good opportunity? I say get another dream. .

I don't find the military's manipulative and coercive tactics to recruit ethical. Although the millitary presents a unique opportunity for many to makedecent individuals out of themselves, many more feel pawned, unaware of what they were getting into. This really speaks to the inability of our society topresent more viable career options equitably, whether this points to failures in education, the economy.

Originally Posted by nbirn2103

However, I do not agree with how they can target naive young adults. I had way too many friends who enlisted in the military not really knowing what they are getting into. I guess if you aren't going to college or have a job after high school it is a good opportunity? I say get another dream. . .

i was behind you until you wrote this mess. you saying all of your NAIVE friends joined without knowing what they were getting themselves into? yes, somerecruiters will lie to your dead grandmother's face, and some will knowingly omit things to a recruit to get them to join. but, to assume that all of usonly go after the clueless, no future having, soon to be criminals, is far from the truth.

We need a military so it I find it silly to protest against recruiters. I'm from Berkeley, Ca and I am so tired of "code pink" and their protest in Berkeley.

Yeah, those people need to get a life. What kind of !%!@ is that, tryin to kick the marines out of your city? thats just dumb.

NAVY - Accelerate your Life.

image4.jpg

Im a Sr in Hs.. Anyway... The Marine recruiters are up there daily. Im in ROTC so they come at me, but they know im not interested so they're just cooldudes. A few of my boys have enlisted though (not knocking them at all, just made sure they were doing it for the right reason, whatever it may be.. anythingbesides just for money).. I was thinking about making them think i was interested and get free lunch and stuff...

I remember one time, they were talking to this pretty decent girl, and I shouted out "she has to stay and make babies!" and then all 3 of them justgave me the ol' stone face lulz

Man, the Marines have some good advertising. After seeing those ads growing up, I was like... damn it would be great being in the military. Then I realizedthat I don't really need to join the armed forces to get ahead in life. Props to the people who join because they want to though...

I have had my fair share of encounters *nh* and everytime i told them that i was already in college to be a teacher they would still feed me that military willaccel your career bs..it's annoyin..

When they ask me if I have ever thought about joining {military branch here} I politely say thanks but no thanks and thank them for their service to ourcountry.

Here's some stuff that I've witnessed firsthand:

I was in the post office the other day and a Marine Nat'l Guardsmen was walking out and a lady said "THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!"

One time I was sitting at a Spring Training Baseball game in AZ. and I was eating a Hot Dog in the stands and we had F-16's from my base do a fly over, and
ONE LADY says to ANOTHER: "Aren't they beautiful?", and the other lady says "I'm just glad they're ours!!"

When I flew home from Tech School I was wearing my uniform so the lady just upgraded me to FIRST CLASS!

I've gotten out of plenty of tickets by flashing the millitary ID!!

When my brother was on his way back home from visiting/ training here in CALI he had his ruck sack and his wife and two kids with him on a tram back to theairport and some Civillian handed him a $100 bill

- They don't come at me anymore
happy.gif
, since my
cc0359e4e8987625eef24e6e002c84478092d45.gif
completely staight and I let them know that from thejump
nerd.gif

- Before they used to lure me into their presentations and I would be like
grin.gif
; trying to get me to take the tst and the whole 9
grin.gif
,nawwwwwwwwwww.

- I'm much more real/blunt, now...on my
alien.gif
status...they fallback...
happy.gif

- Real respect real, and one hustle respects another...but I'm not looking to be on the front line with them
cc0359e4e8987625eef24e6e002c84478092d45.gif
's...
tired.gif

- Don't care about how much money you trying to send me...money ain't a thing......
eek.gif

College, fine. High school, not fine. They're in high schools to manipulate kids who don't know any better into joining.

There aren't many groups that I hate more. They were still calling me during my second year of college. My mom gave them everything; "he'sgay", "he hates the military", "he's in college", etc. Should have just told them I was a terrorist from the start
grin.gif
Even though I'm pretty sure they would try to recruit anybody.

Originally Posted by DUNKINLO

Here's some stuff that I've witnessed firsthand:

I was in the post office the other day and a Marine Nat'l Guardsmen was walking out and a lady said "THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!"

One time I was sitting at a Spring Training Baseball game in AZ. and I was eating a Hot Dog in the stands and we had F-16's from my base do a fly over, and
ONE LADY says to ANOTHER: "Aren't they beautiful?", and the other lady says "I'm just glad they're ours!!"

When I flew home from Tech School I was wearing my uniform so the lady just upgraded me to FIRST CLASS!

I've gotten out of plenty of tickets by flashing the millitary ID!!

When my brother was on his way back home from visiting/ training here in CALI he had his ruck sack and his wife and two kids with him on a tram back to the airport and some Civillian handed him a $100 bill

What if you take off that uniform? My wife told me just last week for the anniversary of MLK's assassination, a dignitary went on board her boat andgave some advice in a speech that once you take off your uniform you're nothing more than an average civilian. I guess the main point was whose going toknow that you lost friends in Iraq or that you risked your life for America? You would be treated just like any normal civilian. When she told me that, Ienvisioned what Larenz Tate in the movie Dead Presidents said to the Judge at the end of the movie... I did this and that for this country and you're goingto send me to jail?
Yeah, those people need to get a life. What kind of !%!@ is that, tryin to kick the marines out of your city? thats just dumb.
Whats even more dumb is how fast the council retracted their statements over recruiters when a few Republicans introduced a bill to rescind over$2 million in hidden earmarks for the city of Berkeley. Money talks doesn't it?

The military does its job in recruting... I never paid those dudes any mind when I was in high school, not even a head nod. But I signed up after 9/11 notbecuz I wanted to fight terrorist. I joined because my first day of college was on 9/11 and it jus happen to be 3 blocks away from groud zero. I signed up andshipped out. Never looked back... 4yrs honorable discharge and $30,000 for school not worth it but I have memories to last 10 lifetimes

Back
Top Bottom