Military recruiters: on campus or otherwise. Your thoughts?

dont give him the time to day. youre making more attention to it then really whats need imo.

im opposed but i dont think thats the way to go.

I don't have anything against them. I'm not interested in joining the military, and never was. But I don't think you can blame a recruiter forsomeone being too lazy, naive or just plain incompetent enough to do the necessary research for such a major life decision. Thats like going to the used-cardealership and getting sweet-talked into buying a 1987 Pinto with 500,000 miles on it for $25,000. Is it the salesman's fault you were 'tricked'into buying the car on the spot? "But he said it was a nice car!". Yes, thats what a good salesman does. I think the same applies here. I don'tagree with the current war or Bush, but this is the US Military recruiting, not the KKK. If they want to try and recruit at a job fair or wherever else in thepublic domain, so be it...

What if you take off that uniform? My wife told me just last week for the anniversary of MLK's assassination, a dignitary went on board her boat and gave some advice in a speech that once you take off your uniform you're nothing more than an average civilian. I guess the main point was whose going to know that you lost friends in Iraq or that you risked your life for America? You would be treated just like any normal civilian. When she told me that, I envisioned what Larenz Tate in the movie Dead Presidents said to the Judge at the end of the movie... I did this and that for this country and you're going to send me to jail?

I don't understand your point..of course they won't recognize you. Am I supposed to recognize a doctor who isn't wearing scrubs or a lab coat? Howdo I know who an engineer is? How does that have anything to do with the perks he gets. And fyi...they carry around a military ID as well. I understand hewouldn't get a lot more things because he's in civvies..but at the same time the majority aren't out there demanding to get upgraded to firstclass.

They come to my high school about twice a month. I see some kids talking to them, but it doesn't do much for me.

I remember in high school some of these recruiters killed me with how they didn't seem understand or take "no thanks" or "thanks, I'mnot interested" actually means I'm not interested.

My dad actually used to be the dean of one of only a hand full of law schools that actually banned military recruiters on their campus. The logic being thatthe military discriminates against gays (who whether right or wrong as still part of the community of society as whole and that law school need to be treatedwith equality) and thusly they discriminated against the military banning them from their campus in all aspects including recruitment. As a result (of theSolomon Amendment) they receive absolutely no federal funding but I don't think they got a whole lot to begin with so the money or lack there of (as its aprivate stand alone law school) was never a big deal.

It's a job they are assigned to do. Does it really affect you if they are there? If your not joining then you have nothing to worry about. I always find itinteresting to hear about people who arent in the military say the recruiters lie and make up stories, mine never lied to me, he told me everything straightup, its only a small number or recruiters who will lie and alter the truth to get people to join, probably with the army being the most notorious for that.

i see a lot of them.

i see it blatantly as hey do you want to offer to kill people to pay for your tuition?
cool.
future murderers of the world.

i mean you can argue but blatantly that's what it is.

also yeah I remember running into a recruiter. I said I'm not interested it's not something I'm into. Dudes like I dont know what its about I onlyknow what the media says.
laugh.gif

Also i love the solid lie of.... you can stay here or there. or just be station in blah blah.
grin.gif
biggest lie they tell.

Originally Posted by frostythepoptart

i see a lot of them.

i see it blatantly as hey do you want to offer to kill people to pay for your tuition?
cool.
future murderers of the world.

i mean you can argue but blatantly that's what it is.

also yeah I remember running into a recruiter. I said I'm not interested it's not something I'm into. Dudes like I dont know what its about I only know what the media says.
laugh.gif

Also i love the solid lie of.... you can stay here or there. or just be station in blah blah.
grin.gif
biggest lie they tell.

Okay.

Yeah, I actually kind of felt bad for the guys, because kids seemed to show such little respect for them. Then they were overly persistent and my compassionmelted away. It does seem wrong that they can target kids that have no idea what to do in life, and convince them that the military would be a good choice. Imean, at 16 years old I don't have a complete life plan, but I'm intelligent enough not to rush into anything. Some of my classmates, on the otherhand...

Back
Top Bottom