Minimum Wage

also look at the other people also. the dude at the same company making $17 an hour still struggling won't get their raise because the company will have to make up for the raise in minimum wage.

Yeah but if times get hard I understand that you take the job just to keep an income flowing, but you don't take it as a long term thing to raise your family with.... And if u can't get a better job because you are a F'up in life then that's what you get.... We shouldn't raise the wage until you can raise ur family working at mc Donald's....

Sometimes all a person can do for the long run is apply for these type of jobs. All of the people taking these jobs aren't F'ups, a lot of them are folks with degrees.

Raising minimum wage is just a political ploy. If a job was truly worth more (a higher wage), then nobody would accept the position at the lower wage. By mandating a higher wage, legislature is trying to single-handedly manipulate the free market. Raising minimum wage just slides the money scale up (see: inflation); effectively eradicating the middle class entirely. The rich will continue to be rich--and much richer than the "middle class"--but when we allow the floor to come up on us (the middle class), it's going to make America have a totally polar socioeconomic system because the jobs that already $10-16 won't pay you any more--you'll just become a minimum wage worker. 

LMAO @ people saying $10.00 is too high for minimum wage must have never lived in a big city like NY, SF.

Let me sit back and watch as the argument's unfold before my eyes. :pimp:

Sometimes all a person can do for the long run is apply for these type of jobs. All of the people taking these jobs aren't F'ups, a lot of them are folks with degrees.

This/

Soon you will need a college degree to stand behind a cash register.

The Colleges are making a killing and you're not even promised a job anymore.

No matter if you raise minimum wage or not, the cost of living is still going to rise, or stay the same.
it's not going to fall that's for sure

Inflations not going anywhere.

I doubt they'll pay some immigrants $10 an hour though.

Yeah. They might see a dollar more if anything

hopefully this will inspire people to form strong unions and negotiate higher minimum wage nation wide...but one can only dream 

That happened in various industries. The problem is that after you get the base of a decent pay and a few health benefits. The unions keep asking for more which ended up hurting the companies ala Hostess.

Unions are nice but can be problematic economy wise if they go to far

Last edited:
This/

Soon you will need a college degree to stand behind a cash register.

The Colleges are making a killing and you're not even promised a job anymore.

No matter if you raise minimum wage or not, the cost of living is still going to rise, or stay the same.
it's not going to fall that's for sure

Inflations not going anywhere.
I haven't even truly thought about that yet. You pretty much need a masters for your degree to matter in most fields. And the cost of classes is rising like a MF. I'm at a community college, and it costs like $46 a unit for a class. Once I transfer, things are gonna get hectic.

does it though when cost of living goes up because of it and the people making more than minimum wage get put closer to minimum wage?
you can raise minimum wage to $100 and it won't help at all
Is there really any data to compare because whenever I read the arguments for people for it and against it, it just seems like people throw around what little economics they know instead of providing data.

Yeah. They might see a dollar more if anything
That happened in various industries. The problem is that after you get the base of a decent pay and a few health benefits. The unions keep asking for more which ended up hurting the companies ala Hostess.

Unions are nice but can be problematic economy wise if they go to far
Unions could implement a kind of regulatory committee with economic advisers that would be paid a small fee for the performance of the business and income of the people, if both charts are going up, then you know the negotiations are good and things are in order, if the charts indicate down ward trends for either party, the proper adjustments would be made  etc

[QUOTE url="/t/570788/minimum-wage/30#post_18802799"]
does it though when cost of living goes up because of it and the people making more than minimum wage get put closer to minimum wage?

Is there really any data to compare because whenever I read the arguments for people for it and against it, it just seems like people throw around what little economics they know instead of providing data.
[/quote]

what data do you need? If a company has to pay more for wages, than it will increase the price of the products that company makes.

I haven't even truly thought about that yet. You pretty much need a masters for your degree to matter in most fields. And the cost of classes is rising like a MF. I'm at a community college, and it costs like $46 a unit for a class. Once I transfer, things are gonna get hectic.

Well I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but that stuff that my family and i'm pretty sure the rest of you guys
parents have taught you about working hard and going to college means you have a better chance is not so accurate anymore.

Trust when I say your networks are as important if not more than what courses you take in college.
So I suggest you make friends with some well to do caucasians and such cause if the only people you know in life is june bug from the block or just the people in your neighborhood and they ain't got the type of jobs you're looking to get into your pretty much Fudged.

How do they expect unemployment to get better when they do stuff like this?

They might as well raise it. It beats having the government use our tax dollars to make up the difference with tax credits, food stamps, and other benefits to make it seem like a living wage.

Unions could implement a kind of regulatory committee with economic advisers that would be paid a small fee for the performance of the business and income of the people, if both charts are going up, then you know the negotiations are good and things are in order, if the charts indicate down ward trends for either party, the proper adjustments would be made  etc

So if the business does bad then everyone knows pay will be cut. I can see that.

Your base pay + year end bonus(size dependent upon business performance and your contribution)

what data do you need? If a company has to pay more for wages, than it will increase the price of the products that company makes.
I mean I understand that. I just want to know if a minimum wage increase guarantees an overall negative effect. Is it something that's negative in the short run?, long run? Does it benefit at all?

[QUOTE url="/t/570788/minimum-wage/30#post_18802799"]

what data do you need? If a company has to pay more for wages, than it will increase the price of the products that company makes.[/quote]

Not if wages are not the main cost driver for the company.

So if the business does bad then everyone knows pay will be cut. I can see that.

Your base pay + year end bonus(size dependent upon business performance and your contribution)
Exactly, There is no need for animosity between huge corporations and the people, lets prosper together, the people grow, the business grows, win win.

[QUOTE url="/t/570788/minimum-wage/30#post_18802872"]

I mean I understand that. I just want to know if a minimum wage increase guarantees an overall negative effect. Is it something that's negative in the short run?, long run? Does it benefit at all?
[/quote]

No clue about that. I would like to see this also

Back
Top Bottom