MLB 2011 Predictions Vol Phillies vs Red Sox?

I love Justin Morneau, but everything I'm reading is people saying the concussion stuff will linger. I hope not, but if he and Mauer arent 100% the Twins will struggle. Kubel is nice but it's not the M & M boys. Also gotta wonder if we ever see Mauer get to 20-25 hr's again...was 2 years ago a fluke?

Everyone is quick to crown Boston, but I have my doubts. I do think they'll win the East, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's a dog fight, and NY came out on top. Few things to note:

As someone said, Burnett is in line for a bounce back year. Anyone who knows anything about pitching knows it's mental with him, his stuff is still nasty, and that curve is still one of the best in the majors.
Josh Beckett has lost it.
Montero is a blue-chip bat, and will be in the lineup from game 1.
Can Bucholz repeat last year's performance?
Jeter likely won't have as bad a year as he did last year.
Full year of Granderson after Long tinkered with his swing.
Crawford is good, but his impact will be muted by the monster in left, where he's playing everything off the wall instead of putting his best skill to use, his range.

AL East: BoSox
West: Rangers
Central: Tigers
WC: Yanks

NL East: Phils
West: Dodgers
Central: Brewers
WC: Braves

WS: Yanks over Braves (before you post all the
roll.gif
ask yourself how many people predicted Giants over Rangers)

Everyone is quick to crown Boston, but I have my doubts. I do think they'll win the East, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's a dog fight, and NY came out on top. Few things to note:

As someone said, Burnett is in line for a bounce back year. Anyone who knows anything about pitching knows it's mental with him, his stuff is still nasty, and that curve is still one of the best in the majors.
Crawford is good, but his impact will be muted by the monster in left, where he's playing everything off the wall instead of putting his best skill to use, his range.

AL East: BoSox
West: Rangers

NL East: Phils
West: Dodgers
Central: Brewers
WC: Braves

WS: Yanks over Braves (before you post all the
roll.gif
ask yourself how many people predicted Giants over Rangers)

Originally Posted by abovelegit1

Crawford is good, but his impact will be muted by the monster in left, where he's playing everything off the wall instead of putting his best skill to use, his range

Nothing of what you said has any evidential proof that it will actually happen, and in effect help the Yankees or hurt the Sox...You're merely taking the best case scenarios for the Yankees in all these situations.

Originally Posted by abovelegit1

Crawford is good, but his impact will be muted by the monster in left, where he's playing everything off the wall instead of putting his best skill to use, his range

Nothing of what you said has any evidential proof that it will actually happen, and in effect help the Yankees or hurt the Sox...You're merely taking the best case scenarios for the Yankees in all these situations.

Originally Posted by GSDOUBLEU

Giants win the WS and people still dont have them making the playoffs.
laugh.gif

ok

the amount of disrespect is crazy
30t6p3b.gif

anyway

AL East: Red Sox
AL Central: Twins
AL West: Rangers
Wildcard: Yankees

NL East: Braves
NL Central: Reds
NL West: Giants
Wildcard: Rockies

ALDS: Red Sox over Twins 3-0, Yankees over Rangers 3-2
NLDS: Braves over Reds 3-2, Giants over Rockies 3-2

ALCS: Red Sox over Yankees  4-2
pimp.gif

NLCS: Braves over Giants 4-3
frown.gif

WS: Red Sox over Braves 4-1

laugh.gif

ok

30t6p3b.gif

anyway

pimp.gif

frown.gif

^Which is why I have the Sox winning the East. And there is evidential proof for each thing I said, I'm not just throwing %%%* out there.
Burnett still has velocity and strong break on his off speed stuff. Not a stretch to say he'll have a bounce back year.
Beckett has lost it from what I've seen. His mechanics are relatively sound, and his release point is consistent, but he can't throw as hard, and his breaking ball no longer breaks sharply.
Montero is by all accounts, a can't miss hitting prospect.
Bucholz had an amazing season last season, but his BABIP was fluky, and his strand rate (79%) suggests he won't repeat his season.
Jeter played terribly last season, but it was such a drop off from his MVP caliber year in '09 that I'd project his season to be somewhere in between the two extremes. (regression to the mean)
Granderson played substantially better after he came off the DL and Long changed his approach to lefties.
Crawford will be great, but most of his value lies in his defense, and what I said about the green monster taking away from his defensive value is pretty much a given.

^Which is why I have the Sox winning the East. And there is evidential proof for each thing I said, I'm not just throwing %%%* out there.
Burnett still has velocity and strong break on his off speed stuff. Not a stretch to say he'll have a bounce back year.
Beckett has lost it from what I've seen. His mechanics are relatively sound, and his release point is consistent, but he can't throw as hard, and his breaking ball no longer breaks sharply.
Montero is by all accounts, a can't miss hitting prospect.
Bucholz had an amazing season last season, but his BABIP was fluky, and his strand rate (79%) suggests he won't repeat his season.
Jeter played terribly last season, but it was such a drop off from his MVP caliber year in '09 that I'd project his season to be somewhere in between the two extremes. (regression to the mean)
Granderson played substantially better after he came off the DL and Long changed his approach to lefties.
Crawford will be great, but most of his value lies in his defense, and what I said about the green monster taking away from his defensive value is pretty much a given.

Originally Posted by LoveOfTheGame916

laugh.gif

ok

30t6p3b.gif

anyway

pimp.gif

frown.gif

This is not even possible. Giants vs Rockies in NLDS? You can't play a team in your division in 1st round. No Phillies?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by LoveOfTheGame916

laugh.gif

ok

30t6p3b.gif

anyway

pimp.gif

frown.gif

This is not even possible. Giants vs Rockies in NLDS? You can't play a team in your division in 1st round. No Phillies?
laugh.gif

AL:
East: Sox
West: Athletics

NL:
East: Phills
Central: Cards
West: Rockies
WC: Marlins

WS: Rockies over Sox

AL:
East: Sox
West: Athletics

NL:
East: Phills
Central: Cards
West: Rockies
WC: Marlins

WS: Rockies over Sox

Originally Posted by DaComeUP

Most people not picking the Reds to make the playoffs again.
The Reds were the luckiest team of last year. I see them dropping off a lot. Cardinals are better than them. The Brewers have better pitching and similar offensive power. And I think even the Cubs are better right now.

Also the Padres and Rays will be coming down a bit too.. Too many players leaving...

And like I said the O's are going to be pesky this year. The lineup is filthy compared to the rest of the league and their pitching just needs to keep them in the games.

Originally Posted by DaComeUP

Most people not picking the Reds to make the playoffs again.
The Reds were the luckiest team of last year. I see them dropping off a lot. Cardinals are better than them. The Brewers have better pitching and similar offensive power. And I think even the Cubs are better right now.

Also the Padres and Rays will be coming down a bit too.. Too many players leaving...

And like I said the O's are going to be pesky this year. The lineup is filthy compared to the rest of the league and their pitching just needs to keep them in the games.

Baseball season, the time when some of the duller knives show their faces.  Can't wait.

AL East: Red Sox, Yankees (WC), Rays, Jays, Orioles.
AL Central: White Sox, Twins, Tigers, Royals, Indians.
AL West: Rangers, Athletics, Angels, Mariners.
NL East: Phillies, Braves, Marlins, Nationals, Mets.
NL Central: Reds, Cardinals(WC), Brewers, Cubs, Pirates, Astros.
NL West: Giants, Rockies, Padres, Dodgers, Diamondbacks.

The league as a whole was pretty tough to pick top to bottom.  I tangled with the Sox and Yanks because as much as the Yanks lost this offseason and the Sox gained, their performance still hinges on a fly ball pitcher in Lackey going back to Anaheim form, Beckett re-discovering his ace form, Lackey/Buchholz pitching as they did last season and Dice-K managing to last more than 5 innings.  Plus, their bullpen issues need to be worked out.  Lineup is still more lefty heavy than normal but I'd still give them the slight edge.  I think the Yanks actually might benefit from going Joba-Soriano-Mo and cutting the game down to 6 innings.  Rays aren't going to fall off as hard as people think and the Jays are better than people give them credit for.  O's pitching and bullpen will be their downfall and if Wieters doesn't hit again this year...

Central will be a 3 team dogfight all year.  I think the White Sox pitching depth gives them the slight edge.  I'll type more later 
laugh.gif

Baseball season, the time when some of the duller knives show their faces.  Can't wait.

AL East: Red Sox, Yankees (WC), Rays, Jays, Orioles.
AL Central: White Sox, Twins, Tigers, Royals, Indians.
AL West: Rangers, Athletics, Angels, Mariners.
NL East: Phillies, Braves, Marlins, Nationals, Mets.
NL Central: Reds, Cardinals(WC), Brewers, Cubs, Pirates, Astros.
NL West: Giants, Rockies, Padres, Dodgers, Diamondbacks.

The league as a whole was pretty tough to pick top to bottom.  I tangled with the Sox and Yanks because as much as the Yanks lost this offseason and the Sox gained, their performance still hinges on a fly ball pitcher in Lackey going back to Anaheim form, Beckett re-discovering his ace form, Lackey/Buchholz pitching as they did last season and Dice-K managing to last more than 5 innings.  Plus, their bullpen issues need to be worked out.  Lineup is still more lefty heavy than normal but I'd still give them the slight edge.  I think the Yanks actually might benefit from going Joba-Soriano-Mo and cutting the game down to 6 innings.  Rays aren't going to fall off as hard as people think and the Jays are better than people give them credit for.  O's pitching and bullpen will be their downfall and if Wieters doesn't hit again this year...

Central will be a 3 team dogfight all year.  I think the White Sox pitching depth gives them the slight edge.  I'll type more later 
laugh.gif

AL Central: White Sox
AL West: A's
AL Wild Card: Rangers

NL East: Phillies
NL Central: Cardinals
NL West Giants
NL Wild Card: Rockies

AL Playoffs:
1st Round: Red Sox over Rangers; White Sox over A's
2nd Round: Red Sox over White Sox