MLB Trade Deadline thread - Everybody to LAD; Contreras to COL; Kazmir to ANA; Wagner to BOS.

Originally Posted by Kiddin Like Jason

Meanwhile, a scout offered this about Brett Wallace: "He can hit but he throws like a girl. They acquired a DH - I think he might be Jack Cust Jr. with fewer Ks.
Jugular.
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
Brett Wallace cannot and will not play 3rd...

The bat will play, the glove will not... Maybe at 1st base, but not at 3rd...

I do not trust the A's to handle Wallace properly.

I wish they would find a way to steal away Boston's hitting coach, or even Texas' hitting coach. In Oakland, we ruin hitters.

frown.gif

If Prince Feilder can stick at first, and Kyle Blanks can play LF, I don't see why Brett Wallace can't man first, plus scouts have said despite hissize he is very athletic at 3rd...

If Prince Feilder can stick at first, and Kyle Blanks can play LF, I don't see why Brett Wallace can't man first, plus scouts have said despite his size he is very athletic at 3rd...
Fielder's ability to hit at the Major League level made him stick at first; we still have to see that from Wallace.

As for Blanks, let's give it some time before we anoint him an a capable left fielder.

fro.jpg

Originally Posted by JaysForDays

who wants Dunn/Willingham/Nick Johnson?
nerd.gif

Dunn for Cuddy and Delmon Young...

Make it happen!

A big bat, and clearing space to have Dunn in left, Go-go in center, and Span in right.
pimp.gif

laugh.gif
I've seen places calling that the equivalent of Justin Smoak, Feliz/Perez, and Tommy Hunter/Scott Feldman...

sick.gif

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

laugh.gif
I've seen places calling that the equivalent of Justin Smoak, Feliz/Perez, and Tommy Hunter/Scott Feldman...

sick.gif
What is wrong with the Phillies GM? He is balking on JA Happ? Has he lost his danm mind?
indifferent.gif

laugh.gif
Just the day and age, I think...

Nobody wants to trade young, controllable assets... Drabek and Brown are probably two of the Top 25 prospects in baseball right now according to BA'smid-season report, so...

Best guess, just using Rangers and Phillies as the examples because it's easiest without looking stuff up... The best offer they get will feature one mealticket (Brown, Drabek, Smoak, Feliz), one solid-average rotation arm (Happ, Feldman, Hunter), and one lottery ticket (Wilmer Font, Engel Beltre)

Happ has been the phils best pitcher this season. Even though he's a number 3 pitcher replacing him w/ Doc still leaves hole in the pitching rotation.

Doc
Hamels
Blanton
Moyer
Martinez/Lopez/some minor leaguer

bottom half is
sick.gif

keep happ and have Doc/Hamels/Happ/Blanton
pimp.gif

Taylor is a beast and is Major league ready but is currently blocked by Werth, Victorino, and Ibanez. He's 25 and i would hate to see him rot in theminors
smh.gif
that's why i want to keep Brown because he should be 23 or 24 when oneraul is done.

Well, Brown is also a FAR better prospect than Taylor... Taylor isn't a centerpiece for a Roy Halladay trade... Brown is.

Originally Posted by Th3RealF0lkBlu3s

I wish they would find a way to steal away Boston's hitting coach, or even Texas' hitting coach. In Oakland, we ruin hitters.

frown.gif
Word. The A's know how to develop pitching, not hitting. K. Suzuki is the only dude I can think of that developed alright. But that wasmore in spite of the A's not because of them.

mad.gif

Originally Posted by Smokey1212

Originally Posted by Th3RealF0lkBlu3s

frown.gif
Word. The A's know how to develop pitching, not hitting. K. Suzuki is the only dude I can think of that developed alright. But that was more in spite of the A's not because of them.

mad.gif
What?
laugh.gif

Or maybe the fact that it's a pitchers park.?

With the rest of the of baseball catching on to Billy Beane, 2009 Moneyball is about more about pitching and defense and then OBP, guys.

laugh.gif
I refused to believe franchises are inherently bad at developing hitters or pitchers...

I've heard so many Rangers fans complaining we'll never develop our own pitchers, we've never done it before so it can't happen... The problemhasn't necessarily ever been development. Rangers prospects have gone on to pitch well other places. The problem is they've never had a wealth ofpitching talent on the farm, so they were always chasing established or more "prepared" arms through trade and trading away what young talent theydid have...

Now, they've got the top farm system in baseball, and 15 of their top 20 guys are pitchers... Wonder if it'll just be coincidence or dumb luck if theyfinally develop a couple of very good, top of the rotation arms...
eyes.gif

It's all about depth of talent when developing guys in baseball. You don't have it, you can't develop it... When was the last time the A's wereloaded with very good young hitting prospects?

^^ Has the abundance of pitching prospects (top ones at that) in the Rangers system have anything to do with Nolan Ryan having more of a role in theirdevelopment? Just asking out of curiosity...

Very. little I imagine, think about it, how often you think Nolan is on the farm, you think he flies around from podunk minor legue town to podunk aaa town?Hell no. At most he would see them in spring training...Nolan aint got $@!@ to do with it.

You can't teach talent and the player can only go as as they wan't to go no amount of development will change that...

Plus being good at pitching when you have a cavernous stadium isn't that hard.

• The Angels did indeed make a run at Halladay, offering Jered Weaver(notes) plus the Blue Jays' pick of outfield or infield prospects, including Brandon Wood(notes), but it wasn't enough. Milwaukee's position on trades, as articulated by owner Mark Attanasio is "aggressive but not stupid."

Originally Posted by briannnnn

^^ Has the abundance of pitching prospects (top ones at that) in the Rangers system have anything to do with Nolan Ryan having more of a role in their development? Just asking out of curiosity...
As far as putting all that talent together? I think it has VERY LITTLE to do with Nolan's presence... I mean, he's been here 18 months...The Rangers had Holland, Feliz, Perez, Beavan, Main, Font, and the vast majority of those guys in hand before Nolan was hired or immediately after, before hereally took any kind of hands on approach with the organization... I think a lot of it has to do with the Rangers finally hiring a General Manager (Daniels)that could get through to Tom Hicks that this team genuinely needed a complete overhaul, that building from within and developing your own talent was the wayto go and that's where quite a bit of your cash assets needed to be budgeted... You're finally seeing the Rangers go well over slot value in the draft,they're spending tons of money in the International markets, and they're spending tons of cash on development... That's got very little to do withNolan Ryan, as it was already a plan that was in place and rolling before he got here...

I think you'll see the Rangers begin making better decisions when it comes to which of their prospects they trade and which pitchers they target on thefree agent market and through trade. We won't see Danks for McCarthy, Adrian Gonzalez and Chris Young for Adam Eaton, or Chan Ho Park signing a ridiculouscontract, at least not nearly as often... I think they're more dedicated to developing their guys and seeing things through, barring somebody like a RoyHalladay or Cliff Lee falling into their laps...

Now... Do I think the mentality pitchers on the farm will develop and how they'll be handled throughout the system changed when Nolan and Mike Maddux cameaboard? Yeah, I think it has obviously changed some, but not nearly to the degree you'll see the mainstream media giving him credit for...

The Rangers have a team ERA of 4.20... Top half of the league... Their Home ERA is below 4.00 for the first time in God knows how long... And you'll seeidiot media people talking about it's because Nolan Ryan came in here and took off the kid gloves... That he single handedly changed the mentality of thisstaff and they way they approach games on the mound, and that's why the Rangers are where they are with pitchers...

It's not true. He really didn't change that much. He told guys to be in better shape and he's asked them to go out there with the intention ofworking 7 or 8 innings EVERY NIGHT, not just go get your 6 and get out... But that's not where the improvement is really coming from, I don't think...The defensive improvement made because of moves Jon Daniels made BEFORE Nolan Ryan was in house are more to credit for the insane turnaround this team has madesince last season in terms of run prevention... Pitchers aren't being forced to get extra outs because the Rangers aren't leading the league in errors.They aren't having fairly routine balls get through the infield because Michael Young and some scrub had zero range at SS and 3B... The Rangers infield isnothing to mess with this year, and that's a HUGE reason why they are where they are...

But mainstream media doesn't talk about defense. All-Star games (and Gold Gloves, quite frankly) are given out based on defense. They're earned withbatting averages and home runs, ERA and strikeouts...
laugh.gif
So it's easyto point to the team's ERA, and Nolan Ryan being a Hall of Fame pitcher and draw that conclusion... But it's not true. Don't fall for it.

Nowitness, thanks for the reply. A lot of the media were all making Nolan Ryan out to be some miracle worker for the pitching staff.

Jon Daniels has done a great job with the team.

Back
Top Bottom