Monta Ellis All-Star Snub Unappreciation Post (Chris Kaman? Really?)

last time i checked this was an individual honor and not a team honor...so you can throw all that team record business out the window because plenty of players have made it from bum teams over the years...thats what the playoffs are for

david lee>>

Ok.  You want to talk overall production and not just scoring?  Well tell me what about overall production makes Brandon Roy an All Star over Monta.....aside from success of team.  You say theres no way that you think all star when you look at Monta's overall production, yet his stats are right there with Roy's.

So please explain.

Fastest-paced offense in the league vs. the slowest. Roy is far more efficient.

Originally Posted by JD617

Fastest-paced offense in the league vs. the slowest. Roy is far more efficient.

So I guess that means you can throw out Nash's, Amare's and the rest of the Suns stats for the past 6 or so years because they ran such a fast paced offense. 

Just saying...this is tough to argue against IMO:
Ellis is almost the perfect prototype of an overrated player: He's a low-efficiency player who plays a lot of minutes on a fast-paced team, so he ends up with gaudy per-game averages even though he's not advancing his team's cause much.

For starters, take the air out of his Golden State-generated stats and you're dealing with a much less impressive résumé. Ellis averages 26.2 points per game, which ranks sixth in the league and at first glance seems very impressive. But once you adjust for his league-leading 41.7 minutes per game and the hyper pace the Warriors play at, his scoring numbers look much more ordinary. On a per-minute basis, he's not even the best scorer on his own team -- that would be Corey Maggette.

Moreover, if you look at pace-adjusted points per minute, Ellis isn't 6th ... or even 16th. He ranks a mere 18th, placing behind former teammates Jamal Crawford and Al Harrington, among others.

Meanwhile, his efficiency numbers are brutal. Ellis ranks in the bottom half of shooting guards in true shooting percentage, but what's worse is that he doesn't create offense for others. Among shooting guards who have played at least 1,000 minutes, only one -- Denver's J.R. Smith -- has a worse pure point rating than Ellis.

I point out Ellis' startlingly poor offensive efficiency because it's of more than merely academic interest. I'm still dreading he'll be chosen as an All-Star sub (if his own knee injury suffered Monday night isn't serious) since about half of the Western Conference team seems to be on the verge of pulling out of the game, and the lure of the scoring average may be too much for the commissioner to resist.

(That said, an equally awful choice would be Houston's Aaron Brooks, and I've heard as much momentum for picking him as for taking Ellis. Baron Davis is still miles better than both of them even while taking every third night off; he's the obvious choice here. Unfortunately, the league may be reluctant to take a second Clipper, meaning the botched Kaman pick will lead to an equally idiotic outcome in the backcourt.)

smh.gif

Originally Posted by dland24

Originally Posted by Im Not You

I think alot of people believe PPG alone puts you in all star contention. Cause there's no way you can look at Monta Ellis' overall production and say "he's an all star"

Ok.  You want to talk overall production and not just scoring?  Well tell me what about overall production makes Brandon Roy an All Star over Monta.....aside from success of team.  You say theres no way that you think all star when you look at Monta's overall production, yet his stats are right there with Roy's.

So please explain.
             Turnovers.

Originally Posted by zube42

I think alot of people believe PPG alone puts you in all star contention. Cause there's no way you can look at Monta Ellis' overall production and say "he's an all star"

So please explain.
             Turnovers.

Ok if thats the direction you want to take this debate.  Monta is averaging 2 more turnovers a game than Roy.  But he is also averaging over a steal more a game than him.  So basically, you are looking at a difference of less than one lost posession a game between Monta and Roy.  For the record, I am not saying Monta deserves it over Roy, just simply stating that INY's idea that Monta is nothing but a scorer is ridiculous.

I'm surprised monta doesn't have more turnovers than he's got playing with the trash alongside him.

Originally Posted by zube42

So please explain.
             Turnovers.
indifferent.gif

How yall slurping on dudes like Durant, who also "just scores" and then go and bash on Monta?

If you wanna talk about turnovers...

Kevin Durant averages 2 minutes per game less than Monta.
Monta averages 4.2 turnovers per game.
Durant averages 3.8 turnovers per game.

& Durant has Westbrook to handle the point. Monta shares PG duties with Curry.

The argument for having record affect someone's eligibility is terrible. David Lee should have been in this year, Monta should have been in this year, Al Jeff should have been in last year (especially with Granger on the East last year), the list goes on and on. There are so many things wrong with how the all star reserves are being picked (like how Josh Smith could get snubbed as a replacement because there are already 2 Hawks all stars...!*$ does that matter after having 4 pistons and 4 lakers one year?). Just go pick the best performing players of the 1st half and leave the politics and records out of it.

Back
Top Bottom