Morehouse commencement speaker to pay off Class of 2019’s student loans

Man, this is incredible....

Billionaire Robert F. Smith, who received an honorary doctorate at Morehouse College’s Sunday morning graduation exercises, had already announced a $1.5 million gift to the school.

But during his remarks in front of the nearly 400 graduating seniors, the technology investor and philanthropist surprised some by announcing that his family was providing a grant to eliminate the student debt of the entire Class of 2019.

Rest of Article in Link

Heard this on 1010 this morning.

I would have died and wasted the charity.

Solid move. Props and much respect on the ultimate graduation gift. Sets those graduates up for a much more smooth entry into the work world without the huge burden of student loan debt hindering them.

This needs much more news attention and publicity though. Such a dope thing to do.

Dudes married to a Playboy model. Living the life I'm sure.

I wonder if he's giving enough to make payments or if it'll be a clean slate. Banks and loan officers can't be happy. They don't want the loans paid off in full. They want that interest.

Just like Oprah giving away cars, I wonder if there is gift tax involved here? As great as a jesture as it is, someone is set to be paid. It can't be simple.

like he said pass it forward
What are they supposed to pass forward? A black unicorn swooped down and wiped out their college debt. A $100k degree from a liberal arts school in a society where your diploma already means less and less to employers. You think they can pass it forward by going out there and getting a great job? Sure, no problem, Mr. Smith.

A billionaire is making a grant to the school. This is a tax deduction, papa.

The one time I want to see some true wokeness on NT and y'all are still falling for this capitalist's wool over the eyes tactics. No wonder Goldman Sachs robbed this country blind.

You wanna pay it forward... vote for someone who will make a college education free. Stop cheerleading for some filthy rich capitalist's strategic business decisions that prey on emotions.

What are they supposed to pass forward? A black unicorn swooped down and wiped out their college debt. A $100k degree from a liberal arts school in a society where your diploma already means less and less to employers. You think they can pass it forward by going out there and getting a great job? Sure, no problem, Mr. Smith.

The one time I want to see some true wokeness on NT and y'all are still falling for this capitalist's wool over the eyes tactics. No wonder Goldman Sachs robbed this country blind.

You wanna pay it forward... vote for someone who will make a college education free. Stop cheerleading for some filthy rich capitalist's strategic business decisions that prey on emotions.

gaddamn :lol:

you not wrong but damn :lol:

i almost feel some kind of way like i should be takin that personal :lol:

This post is hilarious to me in a few ways.

I went to Morehouse and I think I'm doing OK for myself. Shrugs.

I have had this story sent to me at least twelve times today too. Guy was already cool in my book based on what he does for a living, and signing up for the Giving Pledge

Don't be dense, more than one way to "pay it forward".

Back
Top Bottom