Morons working in shoe stores

nike god

Banned
I can't stand when I go into a shoe store and the people there don't know what the hell they're talking about.

I was in the mall the other day and I walked into a Champs, and I see this shoe on the wall
17816011_z.jpg

So, I pick it up to check it out and see how badly Nike butchered the retro...obviously it's the wrong color, but I didn't realize that they also tookthe 34 off the pull-tab on the back.
tired.gif

The employee chick says "can I help you with a size?" and I just said, "No thanks, I'm just looking at how Nike messed the retro up"She had a puzzled look and said "Those aren't retros"
I just laughed and explained to her that these are the Charles Barkleys that came out at the beginning of the 93-94 season.
She goes, "No, those aren't Barkleys. They're just Air Max"
At that point, I put the shoe down, and walked out of the store laughing because I couldn't talk to this chick anymore.

An elitist customer,
laugh.gif

In a sense she was right and you were a donkey.

Not everyone will know the history of the shoe, but she did have enough knowledge to tell you that they are Air Maxes. There is no Charles Barkley on the boxand on the shoe description, unlike the CB's which had "Sir Charles" on the sole. This simply launched as another "Sports Culture"shoe from Nike. I guess you have to have a sharp NBA memory to work in a shoe store. I mean the girl is probably 16-18, which means she was born between90-92. Damn her for not seeing these and remembering that Sir Charles rocked these.

You're the one that sparked the dumb comments. You already knew before you went into the store that you probably wouldn't talk to somebody that knowsabout shoes. All you gotta say is I'm just looking and none of this woulda happened. If you're gonna talk about shoes, wait til you run into somebodythat knows their stuff. Showing off your shoe knowledge to a girl who is just looking for a paycheck isn't gonna help in anyway.

I'm not going to lie, if I didn't have Niketalk, I wouldn't have known these were Charles Barkleys..

i keep telling myself, they need to release retro cards and have brochures and displays with the famous names associated with many models. tell people thejordan designer designed these also or something. or that the shoe was a signature model of Charles Barkley.. does that name branding cost Nike money? do kidsthese days care that almost every famous athlete of its time wore this particular model. If they dont know who a Bo jackson is, why not inform them?

these really arent just shoes they are retroing, but life stories. they need to throw in the human element.

tell me why I should buy these 93-94 barkleys that He wore in the nba finals against the bulls on the highest stage in the world. Godforbid they hype their ownproduct up. instead these stores just get crazy amounts of retros monthly that all feel the same after awhile. I know eastbay is repping Andre Agassi'sname on the website for the ATC II Lavas.

like I was saying, would kids buy a shoe if they knew the fab five wore them and created a new culture of basketball? best example would be the max uptempo 2stwo years ago when they came out. Ray Allen wore those back when he was at Uconn doing big things. would they care that a guard from the best team in the nbahad these on 9 someodd years ago?

its all very interesting to me. sadly nike has sold enough with no information present to consumers that they may feel the consumers are smart enough to knowwho wore what or we are all gullible suckers. i am just a huge fan of the history element with sneakers and their designs. tell me a story and tell me WHY imust have these shoes. The story is half the fun in what makes me like and appreciate the shoe. Tinker is the best at that story telling, from his visible airstory from a inside out factory that inspired him, to his air trainer carrying 8 pairs of shoes to a gym story, i feel attached the shoes knowing where theycame from. thats the obvious minority though. if they could take just a small taste of that outward to normal consumers, thatd be huge.

At least she knew they have Max Air.

One thing I learned early, when you go to a shoe store and you're talking about product knowledge, no matter what store or where it is, expect the worst.That way, you'll either have your expecations met, or be pleasantly surprised.

Funny part is when you stormed out, she was probably talking to her coworkers about the J@ck@ss that just left. No offense, but treat those in serviceindustries a little better. Not everyone is as educated as you; but everyone deserves the same respect as you. How would you feel if the "shoes" wereswitched?

dammit, she should have known you were the "Nike God", I mean what the hell was she thinkin' ?!?!!?

Originally Posted by WallyHopp

i keep telling myself, they need to release retro cards and have brochures and displays with the famous names associated with many models. tell people the jordan designer designed these also or something. or that the shoe was a signature model of Charles Barkley.. does that name branding cost Nike money? do kids these days care that almost every famous athlete of its time wore this particular model. If they dont know who a Bo jackson is, why not inform them?

these really arent just shoes they are retroing, but life stories. they need to throw in the human element.

tell me why I should buy these 93-94 barkleys that He wore in the nba finals against the bulls on the highest stage in the world. Godforbid they hype their own product up. instead these stores just get crazy amounts of retros monthly that all feel the same after awhile. I know eastbay is repping Andre Agassi's name on the website for the ATC II Lavas.

like I was saying, would kids buy a shoe if they knew the fab five wore them and created a new culture of basketball? best example would be the max uptempo 2s two years ago when they came out. Ray Allen wore those back when he was at Uconn doing big things. would they care that a guard from the best team in the nba had these on 9 someodd years ago?

its all very interesting to me. sadly nike has sold enough with no information present to consumers that they may feel the consumers are smart enough to know who wore what or we are all gullible suckers. i am just a huge fan of the history element with sneakers and their designs. tell me a story and tell me WHY i must have these shoes. The story is half the fun in what makes me like and appreciate the shoe. Tinker is the best at that story telling, from his visible air story from a inside out factory that inspired him, to his air trainer carrying 8 pairs of shoes to a gym story, i feel attached the shoes knowing where they came from. thats the obvious minority though. if they could take just a small taste of that outward to normal consumers, thatd be huge.

co-motha effin sign.....da retro card on retros OTHER then jordans create a "movement" which in tern creates repeat customers....

da reason why da penny collection is so remembered and so popular is because is logo...

thankfully i had a opposite experience at footlocker about a month ago...i asked for some "jason kidds" from some cute lil puertorican broad at da34 street footlocker and she returned with...

nike-zoom-flight-95-ap-1.jpg

pimp.gif
way to know your products.

Originally Posted by abernja

You're the one that sparked the dumb comments. You already knew before you went into the store that you probably wouldn't talk to somebody that knows about shoes. All you gotta say is I'm just looking and none of this woulda happened. If you're gonna talk about shoes, wait til you run into somebody that knows their stuff. Showing off your shoe knowledge to a girl who is just looking for a paycheck isn't gonna help in anyway.

xTwo

An elitist customer,
laugh.gif
Basically. I bet my man felt real good about himself telling off a shoe store employee about the history of a sneaker she probably don't givea flip about. That right there is the funny part to me. Its ashame you have to try to belittle sneaker workers to get your feel of importance but it probablymade you feel good so I guess its worth it.

Originally Posted by WallyHopp

i keep telling myself, they need to release retro cards and have brochures and displays with the famous names associated with many models. tell people the jordan designer designed these also or something. or that the shoe was a signature model of Charles Barkley.. does that name branding cost Nike money? do kids these days care that almost every famous athlete of its time wore this particular model. If they dont know who a Bo jackson is, why not inform them?

tell me why I should buy these 93-94 barkleys that He wore in the nba finals against the bulls on the highest stage in the world. God forbid they hype their own product up. instead these stores just get crazy amounts of retros monthly that all feel the same after awhile. I know eastbay is repping Andre Agassi's name on the website for the ATC II Lavas.

like I was saying, would kids buy a shoe if they knew the fab five wore them and created a new culture of basketball? best example would be the max uptempo 2s two years ago when they came out. Ray Allen wore those back when he was at Uconn doing big things. would they care that a guard from the best team in the nba had these on 9 some odd years ago?

its all very interesting to me. sadly nike has sold enough with no information present to consumers that they may feel the consumers are smart enough to know who wore what or we are all gullible suckers. i am just a huge fan of the history element with sneakers and their designs. tell me a story and tell me WHY i must have these shoes. The story is half the fun in what makes me like and appreciate the shoe. Tinker is the best at that story telling, from his visible air story from a inside out factory that inspired him, to his air trainer carrying 8 pairs of shoes to a gym story, i feel attached the shoes knowing where they came from. thats the obvious minority though. if they could take just a small taste of that outward to normal consumers, that'd be huge.

pimp.gif

Only sneakerheads can appreciate other sneakerheads. The average employee is just working for the discount to get new "gym shoes" and stuff, wellbesides the paycheck. I was in Finish Line in Water Tower in Chicago last week, picking up my all white AF1s for the upcoming summer, and I was trying on someother shoes as well to see if I wanted to switch things up.....anyway, the sales guy asks me if I want some heel gel cups for my shoes. I'm like forwhat....to stop the creasing? He's shocked....like how did you know about that.....I just said naw bruh, eff that $+%, i just want the shoes.....they aregonna crease regardless. We proceeded to talk about other shoes as he was ringing me up. It's all about how you take it. I realised that dude was asneakerhead of sorts, so i didn't need to bs him on anything. When I get those random employees that know nothing, i just get my shoes and keep it moving.

Yeah theres really no reason to "show off" to these people. I'll admit that I can easily spot a salesperson that doesn't really know theirshoes, and sometimes i may SMH, but then I realize, who gives a eff?
Like swooshdude said, I just get my shoes and keep it moving, no reason to tout your sneaker excellence.

Also, it's things like these that make it so much easier for me to just sit at my computer and buy my shoes, especially when most of these chain storesonly carry that GR #@% that you see everyone wearing, with the exception of House of Hoops.

Anyways, I think you get the point, stop trying to be such a big d swinger in Champs/FootLocker/Finish Line/Footaction.

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

An elitist customer,
laugh.gif

In a sense she was right and you were a donkey.

Not everyone will know the history of the shoe, but she did have enough knowledge to tell you that they are Air Maxes. There is no Charles Barkley on the box and on the shoe description, unlike the CB's which had "Sir Charles" on the sole. This simply launched as another "Sports Culture" shoe from Nike. I guess you have to have a sharp NBA memory to work in a shoe store. I mean the girl is probably 16-18, which means she was born between 90-92. Damn her for not seeing these and remembering that Sir Charles rocked these.

laugh.gif

My friend... No one cares.

People with lives (sneakerheads and non-sneaker heads) only go to shoe stores for 2 reason:

1) To shop for whatever product of interest
2) To flirt with the female staff (which in turn will eventually generate future employee discounts).

But since you took the time out to make a post degrading another human being, I on behalf of the all Internet Ekin's proudly present you with:

1 COOL POINT!

*cool point has a cash value of $0.01 and may not be used in addition to any other redeemable discounts.

But seriously, I agree with what wally stated.

i only hate it when they think they know somethin and are like stuck to there theory - it pisses me off - i was copping lebron iv's when they were $50 - soi go to champs tell i want lebron ivs, the ones for $50 - he was like it aint 50 so i told him to check - he was like naw it says 150 - im like ok ill take, itrings up 50 and im out (w/ the shoe)

^THAT's when it's a problem, when they don't know pricing, discount info., release date info., etc.

All it took was one F+F experience for me to NEVER trust what a salesperson says, always go with the manager. A sales guy told me I couldn't get theXX's on the F+F, then I was like "Ok". Then a manager comes up to me later and I ask him the same thing, and he says "no, go ahead, you canget as many as you want".

i'm feelin your thread. if i go to bestbuy i want the dude to know about electronics. if i go to finish line hire somebody who knows the product.
not necessarily a sneakerhead but dang

Back
Top Bottom