Morons working in shoe stores

Originally Posted by acekilla408

not everyone in the world are addicted to shoes like many of us are on this board

This is the best post I've read in this topic......

Most people just buy shoes they don't give a damn, their not freaks like us......
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by Nike God

The employee chick says "can I help you with a size?" and I just said, "No thanks, I'm just looking at how Nike messed the retro up" She had a puzzled look and said

C'mon dude. What do you expect.

Funny thread...but yeah the OP was being overly sensitive to the poor girl.

As some have already said...you have to remember, being a "sneakerhead" or even a mild collector...or even an INFORMED shoe buyer....you have toremember...YOU ARE THE MINORITY. Seriously...for every one of "us" on NT that can name a retro or tell you which shoe Barkely wore or Jordan wonwearing which shoes there are 100-300 just regular consumers out there. I guarantee her day to day sales are moms buying their kids shoes, or a teenager withhis first paycheck looking for the next hot *+%. BOTH SIDES have no clue...and dont care.

this holds true for all things in life...like watches, or cars, or COFFEE! 99% of people dont care, they walk in, want some assistance on basics, and buy andleave. VERY FEW people actually research and go in with knowledge.

So you being informed and knowledgeable only represents a tiny amount of the general population and even less in that girls day to day sales.

Not as bad as the chick at foot locker tellin me The aqua 8's arnt retro because thats an OG color
alien.gif

Originally Posted by KingJerms

Not as bad as the chick at foot locker tellin me The aqua 8's arnt retro because thats an OG color
alien.gif

ehhh...at least she knew they were an og color way

Originally Posted by WallyHopp

i keep telling myself, they need to release retro cards and have brochures and displays with the famous names associated with many models. tell people the jordan designer designed these also or something. or that the shoe was a signature model of Charles Barkley.. does that name branding cost Nike money? do kids these days care that almost every famous athlete of its time wore this particular model. If they dont know who a Bo jackson is, why not inform them?

these really arent just shoes they are retroing, but life stories. they need to throw in the human element.

tell me why I should buy these 93-94 barkleys that He wore in the nba finals against the bulls on the highest stage in the world. Godforbid they hype their own product up. instead these stores just get crazy amounts of retros monthly that all feel the same after awhile. I know eastbay is repping Andre Agassi's name on the website for the ATC II Lavas.

like I was saying, would kids buy a shoe if they knew the fab five wore them and created a new culture of basketball? best example would be the max uptempo 2s two years ago when they came out. Ray Allen wore those back when he was at Uconn doing big things. would they care that a guard from the best team in the nba had these on 9 someodd years ago?

its all very interesting to me. sadly nike has sold enough with no information present to consumers that they may feel the consumers are smart enough to know who wore what or we are all gullible suckers. i am just a huge fan of the history element with sneakers and their designs. tell me a story and tell me WHY i must have these shoes. The story is half the fun in what makes me like and appreciate the shoe. Tinker is the best at that story telling, from his visible air story from a inside out factory that inspired him, to his air trainer carrying 8 pairs of shoes to a gym story, i feel attached the shoes knowing where they came from. thats the obvious minority though. if they could take just a small taste of that outward to normal consumers, thatd be huge.

But the rockets won the championship in 93-94. CB was in the 92-93 NBA Finals.
happy.gif

Originally Posted by true 3 blue

There is no Charles Barkley on the box and on the shoe description,
So? Thats like saying that the Air Zoom Generation is not Lebron's first shoe when indeed it is. There are no Lebron logos, names or description on the shoe.

Bron's LBJ23 Logo is in the middle of the tongue, and it says "LEBRON" on the top of the tongue. And it says "LEBRON" on the insole as well.

Originally Posted by Nike God

My point is this: I expect someone who does a job to know the product or service that he or she is responsible for.
If I am a waiter, I'm expected to know the menu.
If I'm a air conditioning repairman, I'm expected to know how an AC unit works.
If I work in a shoe store I should be expected to know the shoes.

How would you like to walk into a Walgreens, hand the parmacist the prescription for an allergy pill, and get birth control instead?

come on. is that how you really feel? is it that serious? not really. chances are, you spend as much time on here as the rest of us. which whenever i getaccess to a computer, this is where i come. some employees who work at the mall are simply there to have a part time job for some extra spending money, or evenfor future plans. she knew enough about the product to explain to the common customer what the shoe was. another approach is sharing your knowledge with her,telling her when the were originally introduced and who wore them. so in turn she could pass that knowledge on to the next customer who comes in. that'show i try to approach everyone who comes into my store here in saint louis. remember, there's not one person on this board who knows everything about everyshoe. if that were the case, niketalk would most likely be non existent. shoe collecting is a hobby, a pharmacist essentially has your life in their hands. nowwhich is more serious?

Originally Posted by typecast3

i'm feelin your thread. if i go to bestbuy i want the dude to know about electronics. if i go to finish line hire somebody who knows the product.
not necessarily a sneakerhead but dang

likewise

The employee chick says "can I help you with a size?" and I just said, "No thanks, I'm just looking at how Nike messed the retro up" She had a puzzled look

HAHAHA.

Seriously, what do you expect?

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

An elitist customer,
laugh.gif

In a sense she was right and you were a donkey.

Not everyone will know the history of the shoe, but she did have enough knowledge to tell you that they are Air Maxes. There is no Charles Barkley on the box and on the shoe description, unlike the CB's which had "Sir Charles" on the sole. This simply launched as another "Sports Culture" shoe from Nike. I guess you have to have a sharp NBA memory to work in a shoe store. I mean the girl is probably 16-18, which means she was born between 90-92. Damn her for not seeing these and remembering that Sir Charles rocked these.
Well said. Co-sign, but I would have used another word than donkey...

Originally Posted by BIOKICKZ

I'm not going to lie, if I didn't have Niketalk, I wouldn't have known these were Charles Barkleys..

^cosign, anyway in addition to this thread, for me every salesperson must have a product knowlegde of what he/she is selling...not just the knowledge aboutthe price, sizes available etc..but also the history of that certain shoe...

Originally Posted by Zach13g

I had a footaction employee tell me the P on a pair of Dunkesto's was for Paul Rodriguez.

he's a friend of mine from highschool so I laughed in face.
laugh.gif

I remember another NT'ers story where a finishline employee told him he needed to buy some Gel insoles to go in his Lebron IV's because the insoles in that came with them were no good & had no cushioning.

That was me at Foot Locker on the LBIV. I have no problem with an employee not knowing what every shoe in the lifestyle section means or what cushioning isin the forefoot of a Puma running shoe, but when the manager tells me the highest-priced statement basketball shoe from the largest athletic company in theworld needs a better insole, when the only cushioning in the shoe is in the factory insole, I feel a little like educating someone. Which I did in a verypolite way. To me, the employees should know what they are pushing and if it applies to what I am buying. I can go in to a specialty running store and get myshoe fit to my feet and running style, so if Foot Locker is going to be the "House of Hoops", they should at least know the product. I don't goto Home Depot looking for a saw and get sold a lawn mower.

yo that chick was prob born in 93 or 94.....lol

young people are killing the game

if your 30 plus stand up

I really hate when I go into McDonalds to talk about Japanese coby beef and all I get is blank stares. Those idiots.

34 here. And I love these retros coming now, since my originalss are wore out. All of these people complaining about ruining the search for grails, well, I hadthe "grails" and new shoes look better than ten-twenty year old shoes that hav esat in boxes for years and crumble the first time you wear them. giveme a good quality retro.

Originally Posted by brndlyl

I really hate when I go into McDonalds to talk about Japanese coby beef and all I get is blank stares. Those idiots.
I know right. I came through to bk the other day and tried to order a bottle of perrier and the dude looked flabbergasted.

another thing i hate when going into a hood shoe store or a footlocker is the crappy music playing and the girls singing along with it. then i hit them withyou know that song sucks right. then they hit me with that @%* soulja boy the best rapper right now. then i ask for my jordan 23's she then has no ideawhat those are and says the new team jordans ? i hate going to places like this in general. because dumb people are always there. when i worked at footlocker ialways had wu tang on and i got stone faced.

I've managed at a few shoe stores. All I cared about is that my reps knew the official name that is listed on the box, the price, and the size run. Theydo not need to know who wore it, where it was made, materials etc. Of course, you'll run into the few reps that are more knowledgable. Don't be madat the girl, she was only trying to help.

yeah what a genius, congrats on making people who know the history of shoes look like we are uppety idiots who go around and make shoe store employees feellike crap because we know cletis t. jackson wore these in the 1989 season of the canadian football league, get over yourself and maybe try to educate insteadof humiliate.

Back
Top Bottom