Most Overrated "Legend" In Music.

BIG is definitely first in mind. Two great albums but that's it, just two.

Lauryn Hill....she's not even a legend but everyone calls her a legend because of one album she released over a decade ago

Jay Z. I bought every album and I'm a fan but he's not what people say he is. Son has been dumbing down music since Vol. 2 minus a few songs.

Snoop Dogg has been spitting the same verses since 99. I applaud him though, don't know how he got away with it for this long.

I used to say this about Bob. Then I started listening to him. The problem is that random people will walk around saying how great Bob Marley is, but they can't recite one lyric that isn't a hook. He's become a novelty conversation piece for people who want to seem deep about something.

That being said, I DARE YOU to put on Bob Marley radio on Pandora and come back in here saying you feel that he's overrated. It takes time but there is a time in life where you will understand his message and feel that spirit he carried. Probably your late 20's or so.

One good thing about music...

I expected to hear Lauryn Hill.

Bob Marley was definitely NOT overrated. My parents are Jamaican, but since I was born here, you can't overstate the importance or impact on western culture that Bob had.

I suggest you watch that movie that came out a few months ago. 

Bob Marley overrated :lol:

Gotta be kidding me.

Dude is one of the most influential musicians in recent human history.

From London to Tokyo, Sydney to Seattle, New Delhi to Capetown the man has touched millions of lives for the better.

Last edited:
I'm going to second Snoop. Is he even considered a legend though?[/quote

Depends on your definition of a "legend".

Snoop said it best , tho "I'm the only rapper known by your grandmother" ..

Dude has made a significant impact and is known my millions.

I'd say he is a legend.

Whether he is overrated or not depends on your opinion

Dr. Dre, dude got classics but he's overrated as ****. plus not releasing Detox pretty much sums everything up

I honestly question how much Bob Marley the OP has actually listened to. Bob Marley is not overrated....whoever thinks he is must just not appreciate his lyricism or impact on culture.

A person who many consider a legend and I think is overrated in hip-hop as a legend is Pac. I think Pac was a decent rapper and has some great songs which impacted the culture. Therefore I get why people hold him in such high regards but I don't think lyrically was amazing or he has a classic album that I can listen all the way through. I believe the reason he is held in such high regard is people like the image of what he represented. He definitely had an impact and there is no questioning that but I don't think he is that great of an artist.

If you are a reasonable/logical Pac fan you will understand the points raised if not you will just be mad. Either way I got my flame suit on.

I honestly question how much Bob Marley the OP has actually listened to. Bob Marley is not overrated....whoever thinks he is must just not appreciate his lyricism or impact on culture.
A person who many consider a legend and I think is overrated in hip-hop as a legend is Pac. I think Pac was a decent rapper and has some great songs which impacted the culture. Therefore I get why people hold him in such high regards but I don't think lyrically was amazing or he has a classic album that I can listen all the way through. I believe the reason he is held in such high regard is people like the image of what he represented. He definitely had an impact and there is no questioning that but I don't think he is that great of an artist.
If you are a reasonable/logical Pac fan you will understand the points raised if not you will just be mad. Either way I got my flame suit on.

The points you made about Pac are the same people can make about Bob Marley. You bash people for not appreciating his lyricism or impact on culture, when thats exactly what Pac was known for.

Someone could make those points and I am not "bashing" anyone. But I personally think Marley was lyrically amazing but I don't think Pac was...I wouldn't classify Pac as lyrical at all. Good rapper but not lyrical. I think Pac's legendary status is heavily based on many adoring his "Thug Life" image whereas I think Marley's music due to his great lyricism and strong body of work overally really connects with people. Marley's legendary status is not heavily based on his image IMO.

Someone could make those points and I am not "bashing" anyone. But I personally think Marley was lyrically amazing but I don't think Pac was...I wouldn't classify Pac as lyrical at all. Good rapper but not lyrical. I think Pac's legendary status is heavily based on many adoring his "Thug Life" image whereas I think Marley's music due to his great lyricism and strong body of work overally really connects with people. Marley's legendary status is not heavily based on his image IMO.

I honestly question how much Bob Marley the OP TuPac you've actually listened to

]

:smh: his thug life image....and

Keep Ya Head Up
California Love
So Many Tears
Hit Em Up
Ambitions Az A Ridah
man forget this...my point is he made a ton of music that a ton of people liked. you're opinion of his music isn't fact. so just because you don't think he had classics doesn't mean a damn thing bruh bruh.

^I have listened to every Pac album til Makevelli. And that's more than enough of a body of work for me to make the points I made.

]
:smh: his thug life image....and

Keep Ya Head Up
California Love
So Many Tears
Hit Em Up
Ambitions Az A Ridah
man forget this...my point is he made a ton of music that a ton of people liked. you're opinion of his music isn't fact. so just because you don't think he had classics doesn't mean a damn thing bruh bruh.

When did I ever say my opinion of music of fact?! In fact I even stated "IMO"....you are way too emotional regarding the subject matter. I think Pac has classic songs but not albums..if you don't agree then you don't agree its not that serious just as long as you know your last post/opinion doesn't mean a damn thing either.

^ Well for me, "legends" are part of pop culture and shouldn't just be boxed in as "lyrical", "artistic" and the works. i has a borader meaning IMO.

As for OP, you didn't just say that these cats aren't legends did you?

Jimi Hendrix, James Brown, Led Zeppelin to name a few.

^ Well for me, "legends" are part of pop culture and shouldn't just be boxed in as "lyrical", "artistic" and the works. i has a borader meaning IMO.
As for OP, you didn't just say that these cats aren't legends did you?

Nobody is boxing them in to those categories but when it comes to music I think they should at least incorporate those two categories as well.

Elvis...your whole damn style was bitten.

King of what again?

Nah man...

The dude was a great singer who could really sing anything.

And as far as overrated goes, Im going to have to agree with the poster who said Dylan and Neil Young.

And to the person who said Marley was overrated. Damn bro. lol

Back
Top Bottom