MoviePass Offers $10 A Month Subscription Service

IMG_4049.jpg
IMG_4048.jpg

i signed up on the 16th hopefully its here for when i come back from my labor trip

AMC THEATRES REPORTEDLY BLOCKING MOVIEPASS E-TICKET USE IN BOSTON, DENVER
MoviePass' $10 a month plan has angered the theater chain.
BY JONATHON DORNBUSH
As AMC Theatres investigates legal action to prevent use of MoviePass following the service's new $10-a-month low price point, the theater chain has reportedly taken one measure to limit its use.

SlashFilm reports that an email sent to a MoviePass user informs them that the e-ticketing feature available to members in Boston and Denver has been disabled at AMC Theatres. Users instead have to book their tickets in person, as the majority of MoviePass users normally must

IGN has reached out to AMC regarding this email and the decision to limit e-ticket use, which is a feature reportedly only available to six percent of users.

AMC has not publicly announced this move as any official step in limiting MoviePass use. The company announced its intentions of pursing its legal options when MoviePass first announced its new price point, which effectively allows users to see a movie every day in theaters for only $9.95 a month.

MoviePass' CEO Mitch Lowe told The Denver Postthat he believes wholesale blocking of MoviePass use might be difficult, as the only way to do so would be to decline usage of Mastercard debit cards, which MoviePass uses as part of its service.

The decision to drop its price to such a low point has reportedly worked out well for MoviePass so far. The company supposedly garnered 150,000 new subscribers in under a week following the announcement, a number the company originally hoped to hit by late 2018.

MoviePass launched in 2010, and AMC has been one of the service's largest partners, but following the announcement of the $9.95 price, AMC released a press release saying "While AMC is not opposed to subscription programs generally, the one envisioned by MoviePass is not one AMC can embrace."

I'll wait to get the card. Nothing in theaters right now worth watching for me.

Makes no sense why they are mad, they're wasting money now fighting this. Any retail operation should know that just getting people into the place to give them the opportunity to buy other things is gold, and this definitely would. They'll still eat off 10 dollar popcorn and sodas. Joints May cost them at most 30 cents each.

AMC is the only theater mad about this?

Probably because Amc sucks, they've lost customers before this and they think it's something else when really this will only help them. When I go to the movie I'm always eating and it ends up costing me $50 to go to the movies, this is a positive for them since customers won't be spending anything on tickets and possibly going more often and likely grabbing a snack or two..

Feel like in Michigan everyone goes to Emagine theaters which is 100x better experience all around

I don't understand why AMC is even mad, they still get all the money for the ticket they just sold. It's MoviePass who is losing money left and right. The highest revenue stream for MoviePass isn't from selling subscription passes but more so from all the information they are collecting.

Super pumped to get my card in though! I ordered one on the 15th so it "might" be here soon..

And likely won't garner many scubscibers IMO especially considering there's a 95% chance it will be priced ABOVE $10

I can see the game getting fragmented soon like the streaming services when Netflix had everybody else's content

others may pull out (pause) in the future

Yeah, amc is being dumb and petty. As i've heard a few people say, the theaters don't even make much money after they've paid licensing fees for the movies. They make most of their money from concessions so the more people that go to the movies the better for them.

Back
Top Bottom