My Pup has Parvo.......

I know the feeling of seeing your dog in poor health. It has your stomach in knots that you can't do much. I hope she pulls through and you two have many year of companionship.

this

all you pet owners should look into pet insurance. sounds funny at first but they're a life saver. i took my english bulldog to the emergency vet on xmas day and paid $500 upfront. insurance cut me a check for the same amount a few weeks later

start researching on pet insurance. It usualy just costs about $20-$30 a month and could save you thousands.
this.

we pay 30 bucks a month for health insurance on our little guy thru banfield, which is the types of clinics that are inside of petsmarts.

This is why you should take your pets to the vet as soon as you get them..

This is the kind of stuff that happens when you try to be a cheapskate and cut corners, you wouldn't skip out on getting your kids their vaccines would you?

I'm sorry to be a ****, I lost my first dog a black lab to parvo when I was 13 I got the dog from a friend and never got it checked out..

I came home from school and he wouldn't eat, we took him to the vet and they wanted a couple bills to keep him alive, we had to put him down.

I feel more sympathy for the dog than you, she must be going thru hell..Gatorade? C'mon man you dont deserve a dog..

Homeboy she already got her vaccinations, Parvo included, but after questioning our usual vet, they are still susceptible to the virus. And Gatorade was recommended along with Pedialite. And I'm not asking for your sympathy, just posted on here because I needed to vent. But since I'm being such a cheapskate, you can fork over the $1000+ they want to charge us to do practically the same thing we're doing from home.

Never knew about pet insurance, I'll definitely look into that in the future should she pull through. She's been resting the past few hours. I made some chicken and rice in hopes that she would eat, and thankfully she has. She's still drinking water on her own and has ceased vomiting since early this morning. I don't want to get my hopes up, because I've read if dogs turning back for the worst, but I'm damn proud of her. Fighting like a champ.

Keep your dog HYDRATED, buy some Pedialyte over the counter. Most of the time the puppies die from dehydration cause of the vomiting.

I know that feel when an illness sneaks up on your dog.  My dog had a tumor blocking her nasal passage, but she never showed signs of heavy breathing or any pain until it was too late
tired.gif
.  We took her to the vet regularly, but I guess it can go unnoticed if you're not checking for it specifically.  Either way, she went into surgery when we noticed she was breathing heavy and they said her heart rate kept increasing and wasn't settling, so they had to put her down.  Really hoping your pup pulls through, keep us updated...

Homeboy she already got her vaccinations, Parvo included, but after questioning our usual vet, they are still susceptible to the virus. And Gatorade was recommended along with Pedialite. And I'm not asking for your sympathy, just posted on here because I needed to vent. But since I'm being such a cheapskate, you can fork over the $1000+ they want to charge us to do practically the same thing we're doing from home.
sorry to have jumped to conclusions like that, i know that feel, my dog had gas and they wanted to charge me 800 for them to run diagnostics on em..
mean.gif

we fed him chicken and rice and he got better, i do wish you and your little girl the best, i couldn't imagine going thru all that watching my lil dude suffer.

Hope she gets better.

OP i hope this helps

Parvovirus Treatment
Well, suppose you don’t have Tamiflu, either onhand or available from your vet. Suppose that you ignored all my good advice here and didn’t prepare yourself in advance. And now you have a pup that looks sick and you just know that it’s parvo. If you have confirmed that your puppy has one (or more) of these diseases (parvo, corona, coccidia, or giardia), you should immediately bring your pup indoors—and I would recommend that it be the bathroom or the kitchen, as most likely the floors will be tiled or made of linoleum—and, since your puppy will be vomiting and defecating profusely, you want to be able to clean it quickly and completely. Yes, it will be smelly and disgusting, but the smell will go away—death, however, will not—so clarify your values. If your puppy has parvo, and you leave it outside, especially at night when it cools down, I assure you it will die, so bring it indoors immediately and into an appropriate location. Anyway, once you’ve found the appropriate spot in the house in which to keep the pup, make sure that the temperature is comfortable: not too cool nor too warm, comfortable. It is then imperative that you obtain the following supplies (and good breeders will make sure they have these items in advance):

• At least four (4) 1000 ml Bags of Saline Solution or Lactated Ringers (IV fluids) plus the catheter set ups and needles. You will not be running these fluids IV, but SC (under the skin). a) Ask your vet to provide you with the ringers. If your vet will not, he is a money-grubber, and I would advise you to go to another vet. In fact, I would clearly establish with your vet whether or not he or she would provide you with such supplies before it ever becomes necessary. Don’t wait until there is a life-threatening emergency before you find out that your vet won’t help you. When you first get your pup ask your vet straight-up “If my dog ever caught parvo, and I couldn’t afford the treatment, would you supply me with fluids?” If your vet says no, find a new vet. If he will get you the ringers, try to keep a supply on hand before such an emergency. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. b) If you are in an emergency situation, or if you can’t find a vet who will say “Yes” to the above question, ask yourself if you know anyone in the nursing or medical profession, either as suppliers or as administrators. Try to get the fluids in this way. But you need to get the fluids.
• The next step is to get 4 Bottles of Pedialyte. You can obtain this at any supermarket or drugstore. Pedialyte is a fluid/electrolyte replacement drink for babies who have had chronic diarrhea and vomiting, and it is absolutely essential to the recovery of your pup. (Pedialyte is not as critical if you have the saline/ringers, above, but it still is good to have even with them.)
• Get a bottle of Immodium AD, or any other anti-diarrhea medication.
• Get an anti-nausea medication (Reglan or Cerenia).
• Get a bottle of injectable Penicillin.
• Get a 20 ml syringe. Always have these on hand.
• Get at least 20 16-gauge needles ¾ to 1” long. Always have these on hand.
• Buy some cotton balls (or gauze pads).
• Buy a bottle of Betadine, or some other topical disinfectant.
• Buy some Nutri-Cal, or some other calorie-replacement supplement.
• Buy some white rice.
• Buy (or make) some chicken broth.

How to Use This Stuff:
Immediately weigh your dog and determine how much fluids he needs. You can do this by remembering this BASIC RULE: all animals need approximately 30 ml of fluid per 1 lb of bodyweight, per day. Therefore, a 5-lb pup needs 150 ml of fluid (5-lb x 30 ml) per day; a 10-lb pup needs 300 ml of fluid per day, a 20-lb pup needs about 600 ml of fluids per day, etc. After you determine what amount of fluids your pup needs for the whole day, then divide this number by ½ and give the ½-dose twice daily, every 12 hours. For example, if a 5-lb pup needs 150 ml a day, then give him 75 ml of fluid under the skin at 7:00am and give him another 75 ml SC (under the skin) at 7:00pm. Before you give each dose, make sure the ringers are body temperature. You do not want either to chill, or to overheat, your pup. Remember: body temperature. Make sure you have installed the tubing to the bag of fluids properly, and that all of the air bubbles have been washed out . Give it a test to see if it works. When you’re sure it does, use a cotton ball and some Betadine to cleanse the puppy’s skin, and then insert the needle you’ve placed at the end of the catheter tube under the puppy’s skin.
There are two key injection points to administer your puppy’s SC fluids from: (1) under the skin to one side of the neck (can be either side), and (2) under the skin to one side of his kidneys (can be either side also). You just pull the skin out, aim the needle straight down into (and just under) the skin parallel to the puppy’s neck/side, without actually touching any meat. Insert the needle and administrate the fluids. For the next administration, you simply alternate from Point 1 to Point 2, and alternate sides of the dog used as well.

My boxer Puppy got it at 4 months old, he beat it but it wasnt cheap OP.... I had to leave him at the vet for 3 days and he was hooked up to a I.V and injected with electrolytes due to dehydration. After I brought him home i still had to give him medication which i had to sneak in along with a treat and also had to feed him with a syringe... after 3 full weeks he was back to normal... he is now 9yrs old.
Good luck OP i know how you feel...

OP make sure she isn't dehydrated.

You can test this by pulling her skin on her back. If it plops back to normal instantly then she's not dehydrated. If her skin stays pulled for a bit that means she's on her way there.

sorry man. i can't imagine how u feel. the vet should be able to cut u a deal with financing. Good Luck.

Hope your dog gets well soon.

I use to clean kennels growing up....that smell....
sick.gif

Last edited:

You were just dying to find the right moment to use those gifs brah. This ain't it. When you get a pup and feed it and raise it and discipline it, obviously it's not a child but don't sit there and act like its the dumbest thing you've heard.
No I wasn't. I read the first line of the OP and was appalled. I just typed ******g idiot gif in google images and got the most NT appropriate gifs. He just said it was equivalent to watching your child fighting for their life. It doesn't get dumber than that.

I aint getting no ******g dog and in the alt universe where I'm burdened with one I aint gonna shed a tear when it dies.

Last edited:
hope the pup gets better man

i know how attached we can get to animals, those things turn into another member of the family :frown:

No I wasn't. I read the first line of the OP and was appalled. I just typed ******g idiot gif in google images and got the most NT appropriate gifs. He just said it was equivalent to watching your child fighting for their life. It doesn't get dumber than that.

I aint getting no ******g dog and in the alt universe where I'm burdened with one I aint gonna shed a tear when it dies.
Why dont you just not post in this thread anymore... That'd probably be for the best.

Your ignorance has been exposed. Clearly your not fit to raise an animal.

start researching on pet insurance. It usualy just costs about $20-$30 a month and could save you thousands.
this.

we pay 30 bucks a month for health insurance on our little guy thru banfield, which is the types of clinics that are inside of petsmarts.
Same here. I don't know what I would do if my Bella got sick and I didn't have insurance. She just turned 2.

Hope your pup gets better.

Back
Top Bottom