Nas - Illmatic vs. It Was Written

this album is 2/13
laugh.gif

[Drama] KILL YA SELF!! [/Drama]

Originally Posted by Starvin Harlem

5. What Dem Ninjas - ??? Is this Warren G, this $%*# sounds awful SKIP

"Watch Dem Ninjas" is my favorite Nas song ever. Dude spit hard on that track. It took me a while to truly appreciate, but that song representseverything I like about Nas. I can't see how someone can be a true hip-hop fan and not like that song.

By the way, Illmatic > It Was Written, but both are classics, IMO.

I haven't liked IWW since 96, I know back then a lot people wasn't feelin the @%*%. I guess in the past 12 years its become popular for people toproclaim this album is good or you'll get the people who think this is a classic
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
(never take them serious)

For those that remember this was damn near the blueprint of the sophmore slump, then all of a sudden it becomes a classic without any verses or beats changing. . . WHAT PART OF THE GAME IS THIS?? It sounds worse now to me, some of the drum kicks are straight outdated, even Reasonable Doubt doesn't sound as oldas it is, Makaveli still sounds fresh, Life After Death is 11 years old, @%*% sounds like it was made a few months ago . . .

Illmatic is timeless, I can listen to that @%*% anytime, weather its in airport or ridin in the whip, IWW just screams 1996 all over it, it was just trendy,and amungst a lot of heads there was more to be desired with this album. (I guess most of the 96 heads aren't NTers)

Originally Posted by green rhino123

When 'It Was Written' came out, it was considered a step down from Illmatic by basically everyone.
I dont think Nas or n e other rapper can make another Illmatic, its basically the blueprint of what hiphop/music is... I dont think n e one can matchor top a album like dis... its like comparin an album 2 Thriller or sumthin lik that imo.

Originally Posted by DaddyRabbit251

When 'It Was Written' came out, it was considered a step down from Illmatic by basically everyone.
I dont think Nas or n e other rapper can make another Illmatic, its basically the blueprint of what hiphop/music is... I dont think n e one can match or top a album like dis... its like comparin an album 2 Thriller or sumthin lik that imo.

it wasn't because of da raps...people thought nas was tryin to sell out thats why...and he did..this album sold da most out of his whole catalog.

if i go back to my old sources they give this album 4 mics, same wit da reasonable doubt....same way they was wrong and should've been 5 is da same wayit was written should've been 5 too...i play it was written waaay more then i play illmatic.

Originally Posted by DaddyRabbit251

I dont think Nas or n e other rapper can make another Illmatic, its basically the blueprint of what hiphop/music is... I dont think n e one can match or top a album like dis... its like comparin an album 2 Thriller or sumthin lik that imo.

I personally did think it was a step down. Not that I expected another Illmatic, but atleast something in the same direction. I know Nas had to be alittle salty that Illmatic was so critically acclaimed and sold poorly. So I kinda dont blame him for that.
And the thing with Illmatic, back then liketoday, is that it goes over most ppl's heads.

Too easy : Illmatic is clearly the better album. From the beginning to end with no skips. Straight classic right there. You couldnt stop playing that tape from94 on. Man 1994 was a great great year for hiphop. '96 was crazy too! But It Was Written was ill too i dont care if it was a step down. Think about italmost every arists' second album is a step down. Even the best of them from Big to Jay. Nevertheless Nas did his thing on It Was Written. Forget thecommercial success, but tracks like I Gave You Power, Black Girl Lost, Shootouts, the hidden track Silent Murder. C'mon this album was crazy too. I justthink the hype for it was bigger than the album itself. I remember everybody talking about it before it came out. Summer of '96. Cop the $8.99 tapeearrrly!. Still Illmatic > It Was Written.....and other hiphop album at that but thats another debate on its own.

I can't believe this is an argument.

Even if IWW isn't complete rubbish, and is in fact one of the greatest rap albums of all time, it's in no way touching Illmatic. That $!#% is silly.

illmatic, my fav nas album and NY state of mind pt 1 and halftime are my 2 fav nas songs, plus, every track is a banger on it
pimp.gif

IWW....is classic very slept on i believe its better the RD yea i said it ....Jay wanted to be like Nas and Biggie and everyone knows that.

Nas all in a pink suit...step down

Step down for this dude too????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Lime Green Suit is no better IMO.

Back
Top Bottom