Nationals Stadium

Its almost here, only a few more weeks until baseball season starts up and the Nationals get to open there brand new stadium, I drove past earlier today andfor the most part, its pretty much done. It will be great to see how it changes that area the same way the MCI Center changed China Town. Here are somepictures from the website. Is anyone else going to be at the first game? It should be crazy.

They are going to have a Ben' Chili Bowl, Boardwalk Fries, Red Hot & Blue and a few other food places, I was expecting a 5 Guys since they were doingall the local food places but they arent going to be there.

southcapitolpotomac-10-2sw-200803-3.jpg

1potomac-50-2se-200803-1.jpg

natssign-200802-1.jpg

natssign-200802-1.jpg

stadium-080304-homeplate-243.jpg

stadium-080306-cherrytrees-014.jpg

stadium-firstbase-pan-200803-1-small.jpg

eek.gif

stadium-080304-homeplate-338.jpg

that stadium is gonna turn that whole side of the city around!!! looks real tight! and they have that 1,300 inch HDTV screen!!! impressive!!!

Looks pretty nice. I've been driving past on my way to work almost everyday since July 07. The progress they've made since then is crazy.

just hoping they spread the wealth and do some give back,but new spot is nice

IMO, this makes the Nationals OFFICIALLY a MLB team... stadium is amazing.

also, I hope that's permit parking in that garage behind left field.. lol.

BABY JUICE wrote:

also, I hope that's permit parking in that garage behind left field.. lol.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe I read somewhere that the garages are going to be for season ticket holders only. And of course thosethat work for the franchise I believe.

I have season tickets and got a parking package. For single games you can park at RFK and they will have shuttles going back and fourth. Not a bad deal. Metromay be a !*+% show though.

Im still a lil Salty Nexus is now a Parking lot... but its tight how you can see the Monument from inside the stadium..

I tell you who else made alot of money other than all the clubs in the area that took millions and sold...

The folks who bought up the boarded Row Homes and such in the area which are now worth Millions as well as them starting to move out some of the locals fromtheir Apt. buildings...

I will say Fenty has been a Mayor that has been building up DC and bringing Retailers all over. As well as new Homes.. where will all the Black Folk move to?

It has been time for a change in these crime ridden places in DC that have people take advantage of public housing by turning these places into violent placesto live where kids get killed because some *%+@**% wants to do a drive by. I feel bad for some of them, but you cant help those who don't want to behelped. Fixing the city and rebuilding the city is a good thing. Its going to create jobs, money and make the city a desirable place to live.

I can care less to get into a argument about this, fact is, whats done is done and this stadium along with the billions being pumped into projects in the SEWaterfront are going to be great and I look forward to enjoying those changes over the course of the next few years.

Only a week and some change left until the first game...anyone else going to be at the game??

This is the lineup for the food which is pretty good for ballpark food.

Ben's Chili Bowl
Boardwalk Fries
Cantina Marina
Gifford's Ice Cream & Candy
Hard Times Cafe
Koshers Sports
Krazee Ice
La Piccola Gelateria
Mayorga Coffee
Noah's Pretzels
Red, Hot & Blue BBQ

I will say Fenty has been a Mayor that has been building up DC and bringing Retailers all over. As well as new Homes.. where will all the Black Folk move to?
Welcome to "urban renewal."

Improving a geographical area doesn't do anything to benefit the residents if they're all displaced.

I was there yesterday for the first game played in the stadium. GW played St Joes. Stadium looks small when you walk in but it will not play that way at all. Idon't think the ball will carry there at all. The wind was blowing in pretty much the entire game. There isn't a bad seat in the house. The concessionstands aren't even close to being finished and it was an event getting a hot dog and a water, which cost me 8.50. It will be an absolute circus the firstfew weeks just to let everyone know. When I get the chance I'll post some pics that I took from the game.

Originally Posted by Method Man

Welcome to "urban renewal."

Improving a geographical area doesn't do anything to benefit the residents if they're all displaced.

Yea well, part of the reason some residents are going to be displaced is because some of the residents increased crime, drug trade and violence in thearea, thus, everyone suffers. To damned bad. YOU can #@*@% and moan now but the stadium is done and all the projects are moving forward.

Yea well, part of the reason some residents are going to be displaced is because some of the residents increased crime, drug trade and violence in the area, thus, everyone suffers. To damned bad. YOU can #@*@% and moan now but the stadium is done and all the projects are moving forward.
Who urinated in your Cheerios this morning?

Not everyone who rents in a low income area is a criminal, you know.

Didnt say that, BUT just like with everything, a few bad apples ruin something for everyone and after decades of a bad apples, change came about.

Didnt say that, BUT just like with everything, a few bad apples ruin something for everyone and after decades of a bad apples, change came about.
If that logic applied, they'd choose the areas with the highest crime rates as cites for "urban renewal." Obviously that's notthe case.

It's not that people are being penalized for "ruining" their neighborhoods - it's that there's profit to be had in converting depressedinner city real estate into luxury condos and the like. You don't see poor rural areas being "renewed" in the same fashion no matter what theircrime rates or income levels. The problem isn't that people somehow "deserve" to be run out of their neighborhoods, which is age old blame thevictim politics, the problem is that metropolitan areas don't value low income communities or residents and yet the cities themselves couldn't subsistwithout low wage jobs and the threat of unemployment to keep those wages low. So, people are saying "I need that person who's working at the parkinggarage near Nationals Stadium, those people selling hot dogs for $5.50 an hour, the ushers, the cooks, the custodians, thus and so, but I don't want themto live anywhere near where I live or anywhere near my local businesses - the very businesses they drive."

Everyone loves to talk about the benefits of urban renewal - but if it doesn't work for the residents then, ultimately, it doesn't solve anything. It's not helping people transition into homeownership; it's not helping to increase opportunities or improve education. In fact, all they'rereally accomplishing is to INCREASE the concentration of poverty by reducing the number of housing units available to families living on a tight budget.

Back
Top Bottom