NBA Off-Season News Thread: Roy extends 80/5, AI to Grizz, Chandler/Okafor swap, Marquis to C's.

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Spurs To Sign Theo Ratliff, Add Another Veteran Big Man[/h1]San Antonio--The roster moves continue for the San Antonio Spurs. NBA sources confirming to News 4 WOAI's Don Harris that the Spurs have come to an agreement with veteran shot blocker Theo Ratliff. The 36 Year old center only played in 46 games with Philadelphia last year averaging about 13 minutes per game. He will be a nice addition as a 3rd center for the Spurs and can still defend in the low post and is still a very effective shot blocker who can defend the longer, bigger centers in the west. Ratliff likely won't play big minutes for the Spurs but can be an effective back-up if his health holds up. Ratliff is a 14 year NBA veteran who has played with 6 teams including the Pistons, Hawks, Sixers and Blazers.
Even though he might only get 10 minutes a game, it's a good signing
smh.gif

Originally Posted by TH0MAS CR0WN

I'm just saying man,

all this #$!%%#! trouble & stress & fuss we're going through over Lamar better pay off

if he disappears/gets injured for an extended time after he gets inked
mad.gif
smh.gif

he better perform damn it
Honestly, would you really be surprised if that happened?

LA Times reporting talks with LO are productive, though, the source does not expect the Lakers to increase on the offers they pulled. More then likely, LO willhave to settle for less than what he turned down.

Originally Posted by SneakerPro

The Spurs could sign me and people would be on here talking about its a good signing.
Theo Ratliff, Antonio McDyess, and R-Jeff are not good signings though?
nerd.gif

McDyess was a bit pricey, but regardless.

I'm sure Ratliff didn't cost them much, and I know he's not great, but he'll be a third string Center, a fine one at that.

And if they don't like him they can always ship him with Michael Finley and Roger Mason Jr. for some good player like Michael Redd.

Originally Posted by Div1LBC

Originally Posted by TH0MAS CR0WN

I'm just saying man,

all this #$!%%#! trouble & stress & fuss we're going through over Lamar better pay off

if he disappears/gets injured for an extended time after he gets inked
mad.gif
smh.gif

he better perform damn it
Honestly, would you really be surprised if that happened?

nah, I actually wouldn't be surprised
ohwell.gif

I'd just be
mad.gif
laugh.gif
but I guess as long as he's good for the playoffs that's all thatmatters

should he re-sign with the Lakers, our depth becomes
pimp.gif
again. If one ofour big 4(Kobe, Odom, Artest, Pau) gets injured during the season we should still be good for a top seed. if Bynum can come back and be aggressive, that'dbe a plus too

bottom line though, if Odom really does come back, Lakers are contenders for at least the next 3-4 years
smokin.gif

i think the lakers should pick up joe smith regardless if they sign odom or not...

I agree, or anyone else to further solidify the bench

Jesus Lamar, sign a deal already.

I don't care who the Spurs sign, if Duncan and/or Ginobili isn't 100 percent in the postseason, they win nothing.

laugh.gif
Why is Theo Ratliff a good signing? He's played like one full season in his entire career, been injured pretty much entirely since like 2004, and hasbeen awful even when he did play...

Still no way the Spurs or anyone should challenge the Lakers.

No way Lemar gets 4/40 but I think Lakers will do something to get him to sign.

Originally Posted by CP1708

I don't care who the Spurs sign, if Duncan and/or Ginobili isn't 100 percent in the postseason, they win nothing.

well no *%!# dumb #+$%*@$ idiot

UCLAMIKE wrote:
CP1708 wrote:

well no *%!# dumb #+$%*@$ idiot

Need a hug or somethin? @#$% is wrong wit you?
laugh.gif

Do me a favor, go buy Lamar a pack of bubblicious and tell him to do the right thing ,will ya? And make it snappy.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

I'm sure Ratliff didn't cost them much, and I know he's not great, but he'll be a third string Center, a fine one at that.

He came cheap. Veteran's minimum.

Ranking the rookies before the season relies on a simple formula: Talent plus opportunity equals overall production. Much guesswork remains in terms ofpredicting opportunity, as teams are still filling out their depth charts, so we'll tweak this list as the offseason moves along. And we'll add moresecond-rounders once we get a better idea of which ones will actually make a roster.

Until then, here's my first 2009-10 rookie report:
[h2]The top 10[/h2]
19213.jpg

1. BlakeGriffin, Clippers
His combination of talent, powerful athleticism and passion for the game is unique. And he can be a culture changer for a franchise in desperate need of one.
I once heard Christian Laettner, then starring forback-to-back NCAA championship runs at Duke, explain that the key to his success was that he "played poor." No description better definesGriffin's style -- he plays with an attitude that seems bent on proving he belongs, despite being rich in talent.

2. Tyreke Evans, Kings
Evans is playing for a team in need of talent upgrades, especially at the point guard spot. So it is hard to imagine anything less than 30 minutes a night forthis scoring machine.

Similar to Derrick Rose's situation last season,Evans can expect the offense to revolve a good deal around what he does best. The Kings will post him up, spread the floor for him and feature him as the clockwinds down on numerous occasions. With his craftiness, length and skill as a finisher, he could lead the rookie class in points per game.

3. Jonny Flynn, Timberwolves
As of today, he's the starting point guard for a team that has great talent inside (and two big bodies to use as ball screens). Flynn has great charisma onthe floor, and he can use his jets in both the half-court and full-court game.

Considering the Wolves don't have a backup point guard who demands playing time, Flynn may lead this rookie class in minutes played. And with hisconfidence and talent, he'll put up very productive numbers. Unless … Ricky Rubio decides to suit up for the Wolves, too.

4. DeMar DeRozan, Raptors
No player impressed me more during the summer league than he did. He played like a bigger version of Courtney Lee -- he was smart with the ball, didn't forcethings and played off his teammates very well. Those attributes are perfect for his role on the Raps, who look very similar to last season's Magic.

DeRozan can simply make plays within the system and let his veteran teammates carry the tougher work until he evolves into the quality starter he seemsdestined to become.

5. Brandon Jennings, Bucks
If Ramon Sessions stays in Milwaukee, Jennings will fallout of the top 10. But because Sessions is expected to leave, Jennings projects to play major minutes. And he's too talented not to put up some impressivenumbers.

Jennings plays like a true point, looking to score only if it's the best option. And he showed in summer league that he can make players better,especially in transition. As I watched him play in Vegas, I kept thinking, "Who wouldn't like playing with this guy?" If Jennings accepts thetough love he'll get from Bucks coach Scott Skiles,he will be a candidate for rookie of the year.

19221.jpg

6. JamesHarden, Thunder
I think Harden is the second-best American player in this class, but he's competing for playing time with Thabo Sefolosha, an up-and-coming player who does many of thesame things Harden does. The Thunder need to develop both guys, which means Harden probably won't get the minutes that the guys ahead of him on this listwill.
Still, this gifted passer plays the game beautifully, with a veteran's pace and intelligence, so he'll be productive in the time he gets. ShouldSefolosha falter, Harden immediately would become a ROY contender.

7. Stephen Curry, Warriors
On one hand, Curry might have been the second-most disappointing rookie in Vegas (though he was second by a long shot to Hasheem Thabeet), shooting poorly and with seemingly no thoughtsbehind his actions. But on the other hand, he found a way to contribute in other areas.

Curry will figure out a smarter way to play offense (his coach will help), so it seems likely that he'll end up performing solidly this season.

8. Earl Clark, Suns
As I tweeted from Vegas, it'll be very hard to keep Clark off the floor this season -- primarily, and perhaps a bit ironically, because of his talents ondefense. Clark can defend bigs and wings, using his length, quickness and excellent feel for the game. With Phoenix's front line in flux, it looks asthough he'll earn ample opportunities to show he deserved to be a high lottery pick.

He's also an excellent passer and a perfect fit in the Suns' offense.

9. Tyler Hansbrough, Pacers
He showed in Orlando summer league that what we saw from him at UNC for four years is what we'll get going forward; he's a beast of a player. He'sbetter off coming off the bench, where his energy will be even more valuable.

One item of concern: Hansbrough relies on getting to the free throw line a great deal, and that might not happen often as a rookie. He's better offfocusing on finishing rather than trying to get the whistle. He also will be a factor in the Pacers' transition game, as he rarely fails to race thefloor.

19174.jpg

10. JordanHill, Knicks
Like Clark, the current lack of an identity on the Knicks' front line suggests that Hill will get minutes. And he's the type of player who will performbetter when surrounded by veterans who understand spacing and timing. Hill will compete at a high level, and his size and agility combined with his effort willtranslate well to the Knicks' system.
[h2]The next 10[/h2]
This is where the lack of starter talent jumps out, especially compared with last year's rooks. In truth, that argument can be made after the firstseven or eight guys listed above. The next 10 are all solid NBA prospects, but they have a lot of work to do to ensure that their teams don't draft thesame position next year.

19032.jpg

11. WayneEllington, Timberwolves
He's already a good NBA shooter, and he has the rangy athleticism that will help him defend and rebound. Playing with a dynamo point guard (Flynn) andtalented bigs (Al Jefferson, Kevin Love) will help him get easier shots, too. The lack ofshooting guards on Minnesota's roster should guarantee Ellington minutes from the get-go.
12. DeMarre Carroll, Grizzlies
As I've written over and over again, energy is a talent. Carroll excels in this area. Memphis has a need for his ability, especially when its starters havepoor starts. Carroll will change the flavor of a game often enough to continue to demand minutes. He's a solid finisher, too.

13. Darren Collison, Hornets
He'd be a top-10 guy for me if he were playing on almost any other team. His ability to handle the point guard duties for the Hornets will be evident fromday one. Of course, playing behind the world's best point guard will make it hard for Collison to play more than 10 minutes a game. Maybe New Orleans coachByron Scott will develop him earlier and get CP3 morerest during the season.

14. Jeff Teague, Hawks
We didn't see him during summer league, but his talents are undeniable. Although Mike Bibby has a new deal, Teague is Atlanta's point guard ofthe future. I think we might see them play together some as well.

15. Ty Lawson, Nuggets
When Lawson is the best offensive player on a team, the results may not be pretty. But on a loaded Nuggets squad, he's perfect -- as long as he focusesmore on defense. Like Jennings, he's a joy to play alongside.

19028.jpg

16. GeraldHenderson, Bobcats
This athletic guard has a chance to fly up our board if he can get playing time from a coach who doesn't just give minutes away to rooks. Of course,Henderson is used to strong coaching, so his learning curve could be swift.
17. Terrence Williams, Nets
He's the hardest guy to project in a sense. He's not much of a scorer. However, he loves to compete, and he's a terrific passer. His athleticismhelps him a great deal, too. Will he find a position fast enough to crack the rotation early? I think so, and he could do it as a small forward.

18. Austin Daye, Pistons
He deserves to be higher based on his summer debut, but playing behind Mr. Do-it-all (otherwise known as Tayshaun Prince) suggests that he'll spend most of theseason learning and getting stronger

19. Omri Casspi, Kings
"The Zohan" struggled on offense in Vegas, partly because of forced inactivity until his FIBA contract got resolved. He looked more comfortable atthe end of summer league, bringing energy and playmaking skills to a team in desperate need of both. Donte Greene's poor performance this summer left the doorwide open for Casspi.

19358.jpg

20. ToneyDouglas, Knicks
Douglas may have been the worst shooter on the worst team in Vegas. But his ability to run a team and defend his position ranked near the top. His shootingwoes likely will not continue on the Knicks, and his playmaking and ball-hawking skills will translate into decent minutes.
[h2]The best of the rest[/h2]
Some of these guys are second-round guys; others are first-rounders who looked OK in summer league but are stuck behind too many good players.

19309.jpg

James Johnson,Bulls
He showed excellent talent as a passer and had some impressive moments during summer league. But with Luol Deng, John Salmons, Tyrus Thomas and Joakim Noah in front of him at the 3 and 4 spots, how much willhe play?
DeJuan Blair, Spurs
Blair did as expected -- he moved people around and got buckets and boards. He has lost 50 pounds since college but still plays "heavy" (below therim or too slow in transition) too often. However, he could be one of a few rookies playing meaningful minutes in the spring.

Marcus Thornton, Hornets
Thornton needs lots of shots to score, but unlike most volume shooters, he can really play the game. And he brings great tenacity, too. I think he and Collisoncan end up forming a strong bench nucleus for the Hornets.

DaJuan Summers, Pistons
Might have been a top-five rookie performer in Vegas. The huge changes on Detroit's front line suggest that Summers will spend a lot of time on the court …and in our top 20 eventually.

Jodie Meeks, Bucks
It's hard to ask for more than what Meeks did in Vegas, where he hit a lot of big shots and competed at a high level. He looks like a surefire NBA player,and his attitude seems perfect for the kind of coaching he'll get. He was all business during summer league play.

Chase Budinger, Rockets
The comparisons to Adam Morrison (all offense, nodefense) are missing one huge factor: Budinger is a purer shooter than Ammo was coming out of college. Budinger shot incredibly well all week in Vegas and madethe best argument possible that he belongs on the Rockets' roster.

Dante Cunningham, Blazers
I'm not sure he'll make Portland's roster this year, but not because of how he played in Vegas. He was a standout there.

[h2]The project list[/h2]
19272.jpg

Ricky Rubio, Timberwolves
He's not a project on the court, but getting him to Minnesota seems to be the biggest project facing the T-Wolves. He's going to makeeveryone on that team better, once he's in uniform. One hundred percent of the executives I spoke with felt he should have been a top four selection, andall cited his master set of passing skills. They also said his shooting is underrated and will get much better in time.
Jrue Holiday, 76ers
Holiday had the double misfortune of not playing the point for an entire season at UCLA (though after watching Collison's talent it's easy tounderstand why), then getting to do it for the hybrid Nets-Sixers team that never jelled at all. The bad news is that every part of his offensive game seemedbelow par, but the good news is that his talent was obvious. He's a solid prospect to be sure, and the best news is that he defended the ball better thanany guard we saw in either summer league.

Hasheem Thabeet, Grizzlies
This much is certain: The Grizzlies knew they were getting a project when they drafted him. And although his attitude seemed positive and his demeanor on thecourt was professional, his effort level never came close to what it will take for him to have success in the NBA. His lack of strength, balance or scoringskills is not the issue. Give him that same set of weaknesses, but replace his passion for the games with Blake Griffin's, and Memphis would have a centerwho would be the envy of the entire league.

David Thorpe is an NBA analyst for Scouts Inc. and the executive director of the Pro Training Center in Clearwater, Fla., where he oversees the playerdevelopment program for more than 40 NBA, European League and D-League players. Those players include http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=2394Kevin Martin, http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=3837Rob Kurz, Luol Deng, Courtney Lee and Tyrus Thomas. To e-mail him, click here.

Here's our freshest dose of free-agent chatter culled from conversations with a variety of knowledgeable sources -- team officials, coaches, playersand agents -- plugged into the league's front-office grapevine:

1703.jpg

Boozer​

Utah is telling teams that it doesn't want merely to shed payroll in a Carlos Boozer deal. The Jazz want to come away from theireventual Boozer trade -- preferably a three-teamer to increase the likelihood of saving money -- with a rotation player.

Luis Scola has been mentioned as a target Utahcovets, but sources with knowledge of the Rockets' thinking say emphatically that Houston is not interested in joining the Boozer hunt.

Miami's interest in Boozer, meanwhile, inevitably would spike if the Heat managed to steal Lamar Odom away from the Lakers. Acquiring Boozer between now andFebruary also would give the Team USA power forward full Larry Bird rights to re-sign with the Heat in the summer of 2010 irrespective of where they are inrelation to the salary cap. But that interest is unlikely to fade even if Odom stays in L.A., given that Dwyane Wade apparently is eager to see Boozer join him on SouthBeach.

2772.jpg

Lee​

Details remain scarce, but David Lee's name isfinally starting to come up again more often now that pretty much all the top unrestricted free agents apart from Odom and Andre Miller have been signed. With summer league ball behind us,the free-agent focus starts to shift to restricted free agents like Lee.

The problem? Unless Portland uses its cap space to make him an offer, Lee will be relying on the Knicks to cooperate in a sign-and-trade arrangement. Andit's believed that New York is determined to retain Lee and Nate Robinson on one-year deals that preserve full Bird rights for both players without obligating the Knicks to slice into theirprojected salary-cap space for 2010 free agency.

But one well-placed insider volunteered this tip when it comes to Lee's situation: "Keep your eye on Chicago."

3231.jpg

Sessions​

It's starting to look as though Milwaukee restricted free agent Ramon Sessions might have to settle for an offer that does not start at the full midlevel exception price of $5.9 million, with sourcesinsisting that the Knicks are no longer chasing Sessions and that Oklahoma City is reluctant to use any of its salary-cap space to pursue the point guard.

The Clippers remain highly interested in Sessions. There are persistent rumblings that they prefer him to Allen Iverson in every category apart from box-office appeal. TheBucks, meanwhile, remain prepared to match offers on Sessions … to a point.

We should learn soon how far the Clips are willing to go with an offer sheet. If Sessions proves unable to land an offer that starts in midlevel territory,Milwaukee will be much more of a threat to match, and that would spare the Bucks from asking too much of Brandon Jennings in his rookie season.

The Clips tried to initiate sign-and-trade talks with Milwaukee to land Sessions, but the Bucks maintain that they're not interested in L.A.'s newlyacquired Sebastian Telfair.

83.jpg

Bowen​

The Bucks, meanwhile, continue to explore their trade options with Bruce Bowen, who must be paid $2 million and waived by Aug. 1, or his $4 million salary for next season will become fully guaranteed.

No deal involving Bowen was close as of late Wednesday, but Milwaukee will continue to make Bowen available until it has to release him to save the extra $2million.

I'm likewise told that there have not been any trade discussions between the Bucks and Boston that would put Bowen back in Celtics green, even thoughthe 38-year-old seemingly would appeal to the Celts to plug into the role -- perimeter defensive specialist who can drain 3s, guard certain power forwards andprovide some championship know-how -- that they never filled last season after James Posey left.

91.jpg

Brand​

You continue to hear that Philadelphia certainly would listen if someone rang the Sixers with an offer for Elton Brand, just as you continue to hear that an actual tradeinvolving Brand is highly unlikely given the four years left on his pricey contract, Brand's recent injury history and the fact that pretty much no one inthe league is taking on that kind of financial commitment these days.

The Sixers insist they're not "shopping" Brand. But frankly, Philly would be obliged to move him if it could, given its perilous luxury-taxsituation in the face of steep projected declines for the salary cap and tax threshold next season and the presence of the emerging Thaddeus Young to step into that spot.

As a result of those increasing tax concerns, Philly's free-agent targets this summer have received mostly one-year offers. Sources say, furthermore,that the one-year deal initially extended to Andre Miller has been withdrawn, making Miller's departure even more of a lock.

A sign-and-trade involving Miller remains a possibility, but the Sixers have moved on in their search to fill three remaining roster spots, with one ofthose reserved for a bargain point guard with some experience. LouWilliams and rookie Jrue Holiday are Philly's points at present.

Chris Wilcox and Jamario Moon received very similar contracts this past weekendfrom Detroit and Cleveland, respectively. The deals pay an even $3 million in each of the next two seasons, with the primary difference being that Moon -- as arestricted free agent -- has to wait until Friday before officially joining the Cavs, when Miami's right to match Cleveland's offer will expire.

Wilcox also received a player option on the second season, meaning that he has the right to return to the open market as a member of the 2010 class of freeagents if he wishes.

In other contract news, Houston's David Andersen received a three-year deal worth $7.5 million to try to fill the void created by Yao Ming's likely absence for the entire 2009-10 season,with the third season at $2.7 million only partially guaranteed. Milwaukee signed Ersan Ilyasova to a three-year deal worth just less than $7million.

After playing in only nine games during the past two seasons because of a hip injury, Troy Hudson is moving closer to a return to the league. The33-year-old held a private workout in Las Vegas last week in conjunction with the NBA's annual summer league there, and four teams watched him: OklahomaCity, Memphis, Philadelphia and Detroit. … The Sixers and IndianaPacers appear to be the leading suitors for free-agent guard Luther Head. … After Orlando's unexpected decision to match Dallas' five-year, $34 million offer to restricted free agent Marcin Gortat, look for the Mavericks to re-sign Ryan Hollins, their own restricted free-agent center. The Mavsalso are on the list of teams in the mix to sign DrewGooden with a slice of the cash they got back when the Gortat offer sheet was matched.

Marc Stein is the senior NBA writer for ESPN.com. To e-mail him, click here.

Where is Chase Buddinger? or Dujaun Blair, I would rank them above just about everyone other than Blake, Tyreke, Flynn, Derozan...
Steph Curry chucked his way through summer league and he is #7?
laugh.gif

Derozan is
pimp.gif

Of the four players mentioned above - and the other eight rounding out the Summer-League squad - there is one locked in a three-year contract. One with the hype and job security that should make for some easy breathing. Of the four, only DeRozan arrived to the gym before everyone else each day, staff included. And it was only DeRozan, who would be available long after the game had ended when everyone else had departed to the hotel.
I believe in Demar Derozan.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom