NBA Predraft Camp Orlando 2008

why even show up if youre just gonna do some drills? they need to have them go all out. i guess their college careers thus far for many guys is enough. youcould really weed out the over hyped guys when you face them with hungry players

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

Originally Posted by The Lowa

Eric Gordon can hit the three effectively, and has tremendous footwork for a player his age.

Out of all the top prospects in this draft Gordon takes a back seat to everybody. But I see a lot of game in this young man. I think he is the most NBA ready guard in this class. He is going to shine at the two in the NBA. He has a NBA ready body and good foot work. He can defend and create his own shot. THIS IS GOING TO BE A SURPRISING DRAFT. So I'm going to say that Eric Gordon will be the most ready to play and have a great season and make everyone for get about the second half of his college season at IU.

With Mayo and Rose gone I will not me mad at all if my NYK took Gordon with the six pick.
Idk how I feel about Gordon, I want more of a pure shooting guard than a combo guard with no pg skills. He's talented and I think he would be decent in D'antoni's system but with Crawford there I rather pass.
I would have to agree with your statement. We have alot of options with this pick but we have not had that many good draft picks in the past.David Lee the only bright spot out of about 6 players. I feel that Bayless, Mayo, and Rose will be gone and we need someone that is ready to play at the NBAlevel. So this leads the question what do we do? Do we take Gordon a great shooter, or do we do what most people think we will do and take Danilo(which I donot think is a good idea) or do we go with the potential pick and take Anthony Randolph. Or do we pick D.J. Augustin that high?

Originally Posted by WallyHopp

why even show up if youre just gonna do some drills? they need to have them go all out. i guess their college careers thus far for many guys is enough. you could really weed out the over hyped guys when you face them with hungry players

Because if you're a lottery lock why would you risk injury? Dude's get hurt all the time IN camp...so if you know you're going to be a top 5,top 10 pick why would you even participate?

After exploding yesterday, Mike Taylor (1pt, 0-6fg, 4TO) came back to earth with an inconsistent performance. Many times his gift becomes his curse, his reckless style seems to be a turnover waiting to happen (he averaged 3.4 this season) and he does not seem to have his team's best interest at heart as he becomes immersed in his showboat act.
i hope dood makes it. everything they say about is true. dood epitomizes "feast" or "famine."

Some more info on the draft

ORLANDO, Fla. -- The second full day of the pre-draft camp saw many GMs ignoring what was actually happening on the court and instead spending time in thehalls discussing deals.

I spent Thursday watching games and talking to NBA scouts and executives. Here is what they're saying about Thursday's performances:

UMass forward Gary Forbes continues to be the talk of the camp. Forbes had a stellar 30 points in just 25 minutes of play. He was 7-for-16 from the field and15-for-16 from the free-throw line.

Forbes is a bit of an oddity in this year's draft. He got virtually no buzz from NBA scouts despite averaging nearly 20 points and eight rebounds a game inthe Atlantic 10. Forbes was seen as a tweener, a power forward who's just too short to play the position in the pros. However, he had already started tomake the transition to the wing his senior season and continues to give scouts hope he can be a wing in the pros.

He was excellent in Portsmouth, averaging 15.6 points. But he's been even better in Orlando, using his strength and athleticism to attack the basket.

[+] Enlarge
Gary Forbes

AP Photo/Reinhold Matay

Gary Forbes has gone from Minuteman to man of the hour in Orlando.

Forbes has solidified his place as a legit second-round pick with the camp.

• Xavier's Josh Duncan is coming off an excellent NCAA tournament where he averaged 18.5 points in four games in the tournament. Duncan showed excellentathleticism and shooting for a big man. He even nailed seven 3-pointers in the tournament.

Duncan had 20 points on 5-for-8 shooting on Wednesday. He also grabbed six rebounds in 20 minutes. "I think everybody looks for a big guy who can shootthe basketball," one NBA scout said. "He's interesting. I'm not sure why he wasn't more productive in college, but he's putting ittogether now."

• UNC's Wayne Ellington responded to a terrible first game with a solid 17 points on 7-for-13 shooting. One GM said Ellington looks more like a NBA playerthan anyone in the camp.

"Whether you are or aren't making your shots here, we are looking for basketball IQ, athleticism and making the right plays," he said. "Ifyou take the right shots here, we know. Making them is great, but it isn't mandatory. Ellington knows how to play. He tried too hard on the first day. Heshowed he has a chance today."

• Oregon's Malik Hairston has quietly established himself as one of the more solid players here. His 12-point, eight-rebound performance (with sixoffensive rebounds) was one of the best of the day.

"Hairston doesn't do anything that jumps out," one scout said, "but he knows how to play. I'm not sure he'll be a superstar, buthe's got a chance to be a valuable role player in the league."

[+] Enlarge
Keith Brumbaugh

AP Photo/Reinhold Matay

Keith Brumbaugh from Hillsborough CC tries to squeeze in between Joe Crawford (16) from Kentucky and Shan Foster of Vanderbilt.
• Cal's DeVon Hardin is tough to evaluate. He looks great in drills and warm-ups. He's the most athletic big here and has an excellent NBA body. Helooks like a player. He moves like a player. He should be a player.

On the court it's something else. He's played hard in both games, but doesn't seem to have any real feel how to play. With his size andathleticism, he should be dominating. Instead he's just been OK. I wouldn't be shocked if Hardin went in the first round. He doesn't deserve it,but you want to love him.

• One day after Ty Lawson's strong performance he sat out Game 2 because of a hip pointer. NBA GMs were a little skeptical after watching him warm up. Morethan one player, over the past few years, has decided to sit out the rest of the camp after having a good game.

Jamal Crawford did it a few years ago. Ditto for Jason Maxiell. Was Lawson up to the same shenanigans? No one was talking for sure, but a couple of NBA sourcessaid that his performance on Wednesday was enough to push him into the draft for good.

• Hillsborough CC forward Keith Brumbaugh has talent. Lots of it. He's athletic, can shoot the ball and put on some nifty moves to get his shot on bothdays. But his terrible 0-for-7 performance on Thursday combined with some very negative body language isn't helping.

At times Brumbaugh overreacts to a strong play. Other times he sulks on the court. He even threw a few menacing glares at the refs.

That's not what NBA scouts want to see. They were hoping to find a talented player who had learned from his mistakes. Instead they found a talented playerwho often acts, on the court, like the most immature player in the gym.

Back
Top Bottom