NBC's Community Thread - 6/2 - Ep. 13: "Emotional Consequences of Broadcast Television"

Originally Posted by Big J 33

Possibly placing it for their summer schedule.. I'll wait to see what Sepinwall says, but it's certainly not a good thing.
brianstelter Brian Stelter

"Community" is definitely NOT cancelled, NYT's Bill Carter says, two cubicles over. NBC says it'll be off the air for only a brief time.

This is garbage. Is NBC pulling the same move they did with Chuck?? I don't understand why NBC continues to screw with their Thursday lineup. Clearly shows that Community fits in to that lineup on Thursday. This sucks.

really not good...such BS...we've always seen the stories about the ratings but @$%...hopefully we get more news on this soon

Yeah, I just checked Deadline.. I was hoping it was just bumped from Thursdays, but it's incognito from NBC's roster. It's unlikely to be cancelled (at least right now), but damb.
In any case..

2eodsw3.gif

Wow this really sucks. They should have just bumped it to an early time slot. Can't believe NBC is about to do this
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by LiveMyReality

Possibly placing it for their summer schedule.. I'll wait to see what Sepinwall says, but it's certainly not a good thing.
brianstelter Brian Stelter

"Community" is definitely NOT cancelled, NYT's Bill Carter says, two cubicles over. NBC says it'll be off the air for only a brief time.
This is garbage. Is NBC pulling the same move they did with Chuck?? I don't understand why NBC continues to screw with their Thursday lineup. Clearly shows that Community fits in to that lineup on Thursday. This sucks.

i just checked the NBC mid-season skedge.

looks like Whitney is moving to wednesdays and Up All Night (which actually is pretty good if you havent seen it) will be joining the Thursday crew at 9:30

still though...im actually devastated that they're pulling Community (even if its only temporary)

EDIT: nevermind, someone beat me to the info
ohwell.gif

franklinavenue Michael Schneider

Community fans, take a deep breath. Sony found a way to keep "Til Death" alive long enough for syndication. Plus, Universal TV is a co-prod.

franklinavenue Michael Schneider

Don't give up hope on COMMUNITY yet. Sony almost has enough eps to sell in syndication; it will strike a dirt-cheap deal to keep it alive.

Even though it's not a cancellation officially, just a break.. these are good points. With the possibility for a cheap cable deal somewhere, even if it is canceled that doesn't mean it's dead.

Here's what Sepinwall has to say...

NUP_146575_0038_1__article_story_main.JPG

Troy and Abed on hiiiiaaaaatus! Boo on NBC for leaving "Community" off its mid-season schedule.

Credit: NBC
NBC just put out its mid-season schedule press release, a flowery document that boasts of the return of "The Voice" and "30 Rock," the debut of the musical drama "Smash," a TV series version of "The Firm," the "Chuck" series finale on January 27th, and many, many, many timeslot changes.

Know what words the release doesn't contain? "Community" and "Prime Suspect."

"30 Rock" will be on Thursdays at 8 in place of our friends from Greendale Community College (while "Whitney" lives to laughtrack another day), and "The Firm" will take over the Thursday at 10 o'clock timeslot where "Prime Suspect" has been steadily getting better. NBC says "Community" will be back at some point, on a date and time TBD, while "Prime Suspect" will probably just finish out its initial 13-episode order and go back to the hat store in the sky.

On the one hand, neither move should be a surprise. NBC has many, many, many problems this season, with virtually everything being down from last year's already terrible ratings, even the returning hits like "The Office" and "Biggest Loser." "Community" and "Prime Suspect" were just among the lowest-rated of the bunch, with the former getting the once-mighty Thursday lineup off to a terrible start and "Prime Suspect" finishing the night in much the same way (lower than "Community" in the 18-49 demographic, slightly higher in overall viewership). NBC banked heavily on "Prime Suspect," and the show didn't open at all, and has gone down since, and this is what happens to new shows like that.

But "Community" has essentially been on a kamikaze mission for a long time now, going up against "The Big Bang Theory" and one of "American Idol" or "The X Factor" for a while now. It aired after "The Office" briefly at the start of its first season and has had to go it alone ever since. "Whitney," which gets to stay on the schedule - albeit swapping timeslots with "Up All Night" - has done better entirely because of that "Office" lead-in, and has been bleeding viewers almost as quickly as it's been arousing critical pans. "Community" is a mess ratings-wise, but it's one of NBC's few shows that still draws largely unabashed love from critics (and from its shrinking but passionate group of fans). Pulling it off the schedule temporarily given the ratings is understandable; pulling it off the schedule while leaving "Whitney" on is not. Either show is going to do the same pathetic numbers on Wednesdays at 8 - away from its "Office" cocoon, "Whitney" could easily do worse than "Community" would - and one move at least buys continued goodwill from the press and viewers, whereas there's no one outside the immediate families of Whitney Cummings and Chris D'Elia who will be happy that show continues to air, week after week.

"Community" isn't canceled. There will still be a bunch of episodes to air for the rest of this season, and while I try to look at the show as living on borrowed time - it's somewhat miraculous we'll be getting around 70 episodes, mimimum, of such an idiosyncratic, brilliant comedy - given the way NBC's fortunes have gone lately, I can easily see the new product failing so utterly that NBC pulls a "Chuck" and decides to stick with a known, albeit small, audience for a beloved show. (It also may help that "Community" is produced by Sony, which jumped through hoops to get FOX to keep making "Til Death" episodes for the syndication money a few years back.)

As for the rest of the schedule (I'll get to the breakdown in a minute), NBC is still putting virtually all of its eggs in the basket that is "The Voice." It premieres after the Super Bowl, leads into "Smash" (which may have picked the wrong season to debut, given how ratings for "Glee" and reality singing competition shows have fallen) and will be used to promote the rest of the lineup. If "The Voice" is stable - or, God help Bob Greenblatt, grows - from last season, NBC might be able to recover some dignity and start out on a path to recovery. But if it becomes victim to singing competition overkill, I don't know what the new Comcast bosses do with the network.

One of the nice things about the tail end of the Jeff Zucker regime was that things were such a mess that shows like "Community" and "Friday Night Lights" and "Chuck" got to stick around much longer than they would have on any other network. But the numbers may be so desperate now that the boys from Kabletown become less patient, rather than more.

Night-by-night, here's how NBC will look come 2012:

MONDAY: "The Voice" (which debuts after the Super Bowl on February 5) debuts February 6, leading into "Smash: The Brian Williams Story."

TUESDAY: A new round of "Biggest Loser" starts January 3. "Parenthood" will wrap up its season on February 28, and March 13 will see the debut of "Fashion Star," a reality competition series hosted by Elle Macpherson.

WEDNESDAY: "Whitney" moves here to 8 p.m. on January 11, followed by "Are You There, Chelsea?" (formerly "Are You There, Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea"), a sitcom about the young life of talk show host Chelsea Handler, played here by Laura Prepon. (Handler has a supporting role as her own sister.) "Rock Center with Brian Williams," which has been dying on Mondays at 10, will likely do just as poorly here at 9, followed by "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit."

THURSDAY: "30 Rock" is back at 8 on January 12, followed by "Parks and Recreation" (unscathed in the madness, blessedly), "The Office," "Up All Night" (which NBC understandably believes in a lot more than "Whitney") and "The Firm," with Josh Lucas in the Tom Cruise role.

FRIDAY: "Chuck" will keep going until its two-hour series finale on January 27th. "Who Do You Think You Are?" returns at 8 on February 3. "Grimm," which seemed a candidate to move after its strong (by NBC standards; decent by anyone else's) premiere rating, stays where it is at 9, followed by "Dateline."

SATURDAY: Drama repeats.

SUNDAY: Two-hour "Dateline"s beginning January 8 at 7 p.m. They'll contract back to an hour starting March 4, when "Harry's Law" arrives at 8 p.m. Two-hour "Celebrity Apprentice"s debut at 9 starting February 12.

That's it. Begin venting in 3... 2... 1...

Link

Not looking good. The beginning of the end...unless NBC moves it out of that timeslot when it comes back. There's no show that can compete in that timeslot

frown.gif
As much as my love for Community has declined, I will miss it.

But please take that how Whitney off the air. Also put The Office out of its misery.

Best case scenario at this point, NBC brings Community back later on, gets better ratings, and NBC recognizes better to keep a small but critically acclaimed show on the air than risk putting out another crappy pilot.

If they do cancel, as mentioned, there's a good likelihood Sony can make a move to keep it on the air on another network so it can get to syndication. I've been doing this road too many times (Arrested Development and Friday Night Lights), so I'm quite used to dealing with a great show on the brink of cancellation.

Best case scenario at this point, NBC brings Community back later on, gets better ratings, and NBC recognizes better to keep a small but critically acclaimed show on the air than risk putting out another crappy pilot.

If they do cancel, as mentioned, there's a good likelihood Sony can make a move to keep it on the air on another network so it can get to syndication. I've been doing this road too many times (Arrested Development and Friday Night Lights), so I'm quite used to dealing with a great show on the brink of cancellation.
Add Freaks and Geeks to that list. NBC sucks. Plain and simple. So sad.

Man I really hope this doesn't go the way of Arrested Development.

Once I seen it paired with Prime Suspect (in the article) I already saw that dark cloud hanging over the show. It is true that a lot of these NBC shows are not cutting it.

Originally Posted by BallinBoykz

What else can happen today... No NBA, no Community...

Take that crap Whitney off the station!
Real talk. That's got to be one of the worst shows every made. Seriously I've never felt dumber watching a show.

But if they have to go out they better go out blazing with a third Paint Ball episode.

Damn, I just started watching this show too and I'm almost at Season 2. Looks I still got some episodes to look forward too but hopefully they can resume the season. And yeah, that Whitney show is not funny.
30t6p3b.gif

Blame big bang theory.... This is heart breaking news..

All of my favorite, smart, and witty shows have such short lifespans.

Yet 2 broke girls gets great ratings, and that is BEYOND terrible.

Life is not fair

CBS is just a powerhouse...I don't know how they still do it considering laughtrack sitcoms are so outdated. I guess How I Met Your Mother and The Big Bang Theory are so popular that CBS can still come out with any type of laughtrack sitcom and it'll be a hit, like Mike and Molly and Two Broke Girls because the loyal fans love those shows

Originally Posted by WallyHopp

Blame big bang theory....
Yeah, it's really hard for another comedy to compete head to head (you also have to look at the reality shows in the same timeslot as well).  I think big bang's ratings are more than double Community's.  Not sure how a show about nerdy stuff and science jargon got so popular.  It's a good show which is more than I can say for cbs' over popular comedies.  how i met your mother is so incredibly corny and cliche.

Tried 3 times to write how I felt about this situation but I'll just leave it at this.

It's a whole crock of bull !#$$

flashmupload_1313977882015_5435_39305.jpg

30t6p3b.gif
At least they're not cutting the season short. If they did...by the time renewals started, Community fans wouldn't be nearly as loud. Maybe once Whitney and Chelsea's shows wash out, they'll set up Community on Wednesdays, because it wouldn't really matter either way.

Unless Whitney and Chelsea's shows do decent.
eyes.gif

Disgusting

Back
Top Bottom