NCAA D3 Vs. NAIA

NT, I got a friend that needs help making a decision on whether to hoop at a D3 medium sized school or go to a super small private NAIA school (less than a 900students). Both are offering similar scholarship amounts.

Thoughts and/or Suggestions? Pros/Cons?

Any feed back is most def. appreciated.

^ not exactly providing a lot of info upon which to base advice.

all depends on what they're looking for in a school. in terms of size, school location, comp level, personnel, etc.

D3 is a higher level of comp than NAIA.

Go to the school w/ the best EDUCATION.

Since you aren't going pro.

But if you're going just for sports, I'd go D3.

I'm guessing he's a qualifier. Tell him to go JUCO, work hard, and hopefully get a better scholly

Originally Posted by Clutchshooter

all depends on what they're looking for in a school. in terms of size, school location, comp level, personnel, etc.

I know, I just gave my thought like he asked
frown.gif

Originally Posted by Lazy B

Personally I'd go D3 and bust my behind there to attempt a transfer.

A transfer where? If you're D3, chances are you're gonna stay there or go D2. He should pick the school that's the better fit. Usually, but notalways a D3 has better players than an NAIA school. Do you know the names of both schools?

Originally Posted by I DONT PASS

I'm guessing he's a qualifier. Tell him to go JUCO, work hard, and hopefully get a better scholly
He did go to JUCO.

I forget the which D3 School he was looking at...but the NAIA school is Menlo College.

depends what he wants to do.

If he's all about hoopin go where he can play the most. Either way the campus life is gonna suck.

I live like 20 minutes from Menlo College. I would recommend that he go to the D3 school because Menlo has a whack atmosphere; it's not like othercolleges if you know what I mean. Hope that makes sense. Also, I played ball in HS with a couple guys who play/played for Menlo.

If he is just trying to strictly ball and that's it, Menlo wouldn't be a bad choice. If he is looking to hoop and have some sort of collegeexperience, he should go to the D3 school (assuming the D3 school isn't a commuter school or something of that nature).

BTW, Menlo is SUPER expensive, around 40K/year. The kids i know from high school who went to Menlo are either loaded, not very bright, or both.

Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by mattbrink

it's not like other colleges if you know what I mean.
explain some more.....

Good education? Girls? Parties? My dude is not rich...so would he have trouble fitting in? Are there Minorities that go to Menlo?

He was telling me that Menlo is a small town, and that the community hella supports the athletic teams. My dude wants "coverage" like he at D1school.
laugh.gif

I don't know how many minorities are at the school, i know there are some. There are some on the basketball team. The majority of the school will be white.

If he is a "hood" or "urban- styled dude and/or hasn't been around upper-class people, he might not fit in too well b/c most students, asidefrom some athletes, are local rich kids. The cities around Menlo Park are pretty rich, like Atherton, Woodside, Portola Valley, Palo Alto, etc. Predominatelywhite area.

The girls that I know that go there are attractive white girls with $$. I would say that he would get a good education there. Don't think there would bemany parties there b/c the student body is so small, but it's really close to Stanford so he could party there if he wanted to, or go up to SF or down toSan Jose.

Menlo Park is a smaller city, about 30,000 people I would say. High School sports are big in the area, M-A (Menlo-Atherton) usually has good teams and so doesMenlo School, which is a private HS located next to Menlo College.

LOL @ him wanting "coverage" there, Stanford is going to get the most coverage by far.

I hope this helps you/your boy out, if you have any other questions feel free to shoot me a PM.

go to a D3 and enjoy the college experience. your boy aint going pro but can still cop groupies.

If your boy is passionate about playing ball then JUCO is the best way to go...Unless he is content on staying at a lower level. A Juco gives him a chance tohone his game and go possibly to a higher level.

Then again he probably won't get a scholly right away.

Originally Posted by Statis22

Originally Posted by Clutchshooter

I know, I just gave my thought like he asked
frown.gif
i was referring to the original post.

Originally Posted by Sir Rob A Lot

Originally Posted by I DONT PASS

He did go to JUCO.

I forget the which D3 School he was looking at...but the NAIA school is Menlo College.

Menlo College is a great school, If he is looking for an education then that is the way to go. There sports are Horrible as Ive heard.
What Is he looking for in a school, cause I know a few friends at Menlo.

NAIA...
i thought u had to pay to play anyway at d3..
i didnt think they offered scholarships for athletics..

naia is cool they got some comp there..

Originally Posted by SWOLEMEAT

d3/naia= HS Competition
exactly. if you've ever stepped foot on a high school hardwood chances are you can play at a D3. oh, and tell your buddy D3's can'tgive scholarships. JUCO comp >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>D3

Originally Posted by Lazy B

Personally I'd go D3 and bust my behind there to attempt a transfer.
Honestly how many times have you heard somebody from D3 transfer to a D1 or even a D2?

Pros are a long shot for sure, but say he has some pretty nice stats in NAIA/D3, he can some paper in Europe in places like Germany, where he can start fromthe bottom in some 3rd or 4th division getting some change and work his way up.

Still, I wouldnt really count on that and just choose a school with a better education, cuz thats probably what he should be worried about the most.

Back
Top Bottom