New Orleans Saints engaged in bounty program ... UPDATE 9/7: Saints Players Win Appeal!!! Will play

Originally Posted by milbert

i never saw the saints as a dirty team. they should and will be punished because they broke the rules. they'll get punished alot more harshly than new england did which i think is wrong because this wasn't cheating. there are rules put in place to protect the players so if they were doing anything malicious then it's the nfl and the referees that failed, not the saints. i think this story has been blown out of proportion.

Talbert
Gregg Williams' defenses always had a rep for being dirty (for as long as he's been in the league as a coach), specifically taking cheap shots so this explains everything. Jeff Fisher's defenses too & since they've worked together a lot, I wonder if the NFL will be watching the rams with a magnifying glass? The Ram D is going to get so many flags it's not even going to be funny...

Originally Posted by RyGuy45

My take (from what we know as of now) is that while this definitely is something that doesn't need to go on in any league, we yes are going to make a way bigger deal about it than it probably is. We've already seen the uproar.

And that's the job of today's media who are thirsty for the scandal and bold headlines as we get to see time and time again as we know.

Goodell has known all along how this was and will play out in the media and the amount of old blowhards who never played a second of organized sports in their lives putting out their over the top articles on "what has to happen now."

And this media-led circus will cause Goodell to drop the hammer on many parties, earning his usual praise from the blowhards because they have the solutions to everything involving what has to happen in the sports they cover and think they know so much about.

Agree.  With everything.

Originally Posted by milbert

i never saw the saints as a dirty team. they should and will be punished because they broke the rules. they'll get punished alot more harshly than new england did which i think is wrong because this wasn't cheating. there are rules put in place to protect the players so if they were doing anything malicious then it's the nfl and the referees that failed, not the saints. i think this story has been blown out of proportion.

Talbert

This is what I've been trying to get dudes in here to understand...

I'm pretty sure I said earlier outsiders being involved changes this especially when it comes to gambling. Still don't see reason for an asterisk though.

laugh.gif
if Brees leaves.

100% Truth.

What team was Greg Jennings playing when he put his team on his game with a broken leg?
The saints.
Think about it.

Updated: June 18th, 2012 4:52pm
_img_fontgraphic.php

Turns out the reports that the New Orleans Saints put a $10,000 bounty on Brett Favre to knock the Minnesota Vikings quarterback out of the 2009 NFC title game might not have been correct.

The NFL showed reporters evidence Monday regarding the Saints' bounty case, including an allegation of a $35,000 bounty to knock Favre out of the game on Jan. 24, 2010. The Saints won, 31-28, in overtime en route to a victory in the Super Bowl.

Peter King of Sports Illustrated tweeted the information about Favre and the fact that the NFL claims Saints interim coach Joe Vitt pledged $5,000 of that money.

Saints coach Sean Payton has been suspended for the 2012 season as a result of the NFL's findings in the bounty case. Vitt is suspended for the first six games of the year.

All of this came as NFL commissioner Roger Goodell heard appeals Monday in New York for the four players suspended because of their involvement in the Saints' bounty pool.

Goodell met with Saints linebacker Jonathan Vilma, who has been suspended for the season, as well as defensive end Will Smith (four games); Green Bay defensive end Anthony Hargrove (eight) and Cleveland linebacker Scott Fujita (three).

The NFL turned over some evidence to the four players and the union on Friday, as required by the collective bargaining agreement. That information included some 200 pages of documents, with e-mails, power-point presentations, even handwritten notes, plus one video recording.

But a ledger that reportedly documents payments of $1,000 for plays called "cart-offs" and $400 for "whacks," as well as $100 fines for mental errors, was not in the material.

In King's tweet, he said the 12 reporters who were given the information about the bounty on Favre were told they were getting the same presentation the players got earlier in the afternoon

The hit on Favre that most remember from the 2009 conference title game was a high-low take out that defensive end Bobby McCray and nose tackle Remi Ayodele put on Favre in the third quarter that left the veteran on the turf with an injured left ankle.

Favre's pass on the play was picked off by Vilma. New Orleans took over at its own 31 with the score 21-21 but did not score on the ensuing series.

No flag was thrown but Mike Pereira, then the NFL's vice president of officiating, admitted later that referee Pete Morelli's crew should have called a 15-yard penalty. Favre was injured but was able to continue playing. A hobbled Favre threw an interception near the end of the fourth quarter with the scored tied and the ball at the Saints 38-yard line.

Ayodele spent last season with the Vikings but was let go by the team after the Saints' bounty system was revealed by the league.

Don't worry they won't be able to escape or overturn the justice of karma if they actually did it.

This is great news. Hopefully this puts Goodell in his place for good and lets him know that he can't just do whatever he wants to do. I'm all for people going against the system and winning when it is needed.

Hope teams are going for headshots on their whole team all damn season. Except Jimmy Graham (need to win fantasy).

Justice In my honest opinion

That's what happens when you overreact and try to look good in the face of pending litigation.

This story was sketchy from the beginning.

Back
Top Bottom