New Ottawa Basketball Team "TomaHawks" to change name after outcry - Really!?

Moheezy

formerly mizzoe33
NT, I have been living in Ottawa, Canada for almost 5 years and the entire city was excited to finally have a basketball team (even though it's just the NBL, but still!). Anyway, they finally revealed the team name at a press conference yesterday and almost everybody loved the name...almost everybody.

Now a small group of aboriginals did not find the name appropriate. In fact, they found it offensive in some ways. So now the team would have to revoke it's name less than 24 hours after the reveal. Read the article below.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ottawa's new basketball team will be changing their name from TomaHawks after an outcry from Ottawa's aboriginal community, the team's co-owner said on CBC Radio's Ottawa Morning.

Bytown Sports and Entertainment president Gus Takkale told Robyn Bresnahan that he wants his fledgling sports team to respect the community they represent.

"Yes, we are changing the name," said Takkale. "At the end of the day, we want to do the right thing for our community."

"We don't want to connect our brand like that," he said.

Ian Campeau — an Ottawa aboriginal and a DJ with local group A Tribe Called Red — was also in the CBC Ottawa studio at the time. He applauded the move and said it showed leadership.

Campeau had said he was indignant on Tuesday when the team name was unveiled.

"It sets Ottawa back almost thirty years, when the NCAA is on its way to remove names like this. Here we are starting new teams with names like TomaHawk, it's...it's backwards," he had said a day earlier.

Takkale had defended the name, saying it was not meant to appropriate First Nations culture. He said they took the name from a type of slam dunk in basketball, and not from the axe used by First Nations people, and noted that the logo was a basketball with wings.

Takkale said he had consulted with aboriginal groups before unveiling the logo and name, but declined to specify on Ottawa Morning with whom he had consulted.

The team's inaugural season is to begin in November at Scotiabank Place. The league also features teams from Windsor, London, Oshawa, Montreal, Moncton, Saint John, Halifax and Summerside.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I honestly don't understand how anyone would take offense to that name. when in fact, that name and logo was really meant to represent a Tomahawk dunk. I mean, the logo itself is basically a basketball with wings!

View media item 290670
And even if it was meant to be a double entendre, how is that racist in any way? That's even less racist that calling a team the Yankees, Vikings, ********. How is naming a team after an axe insulting?

This is just silly.

(vent session over)

Article link below:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...awks-basketball-team-name-change.html?cmp=rss

Last edited:
While I am sympathetic to the cause of removing racial names from sports such as ********, I will admit that Tomahawk is a huge reach. The tomahawk was a weapon and the tomahawk dunk is a vicious slam.

Exactly.

and 25thhour, it is good from the manager's part to not cause anymore negative publicity. This is a fresh beginning and they want to get off on the right foot. But this is just silly.

Regardless as to what ANYONE thinks,you cannot tell someone that they shouldn't be offended by something nor can you tell someone they're wrong for feeling like something is offensive.

Well then I'm offended by that group calling themselves "A tribe called Red" it's blatant culture jacking.

Not srs, but that's hella ironic of them. Did they hit up Tip or Phife for permission? Did they ask any black people before taking on the monicker? No? Then sit down and shut the **** up.

Why would you even be offending from something like this. They're naming their team from a weapon they used, what's offensive? Especially when the term is for a dunk too

While I am sympathetic to the cause of removing racial names from sports such as ********, I will admit that Tomahawk is a huge reach. The tomahawk was a weapon and the tomahawk dunk is a vicious slam.

Tomahawks weren't "just" tools or weapons; they've held tremendous ceremonial value for many American Indian societies.  

Combine that with the history of reducing American Indians to offensive caricatures to serve as mascots for sports teams throughout North America and it's easy to see why this was such a terrible idea.

Would you name a team the Ottawa Bibles?  The Edmonton Yarmulkes?  It's just ignorant, and it reveals that the entirety of most people's knowledge of American Indian cultures comes from Hollywood westerns.  The term "tomahawk dunk" is a product of the same era in which these racist team names and mascots were commonplace.  

If you go to a Notre Dame game, you don't see people twirling around rosary beads or doing the "crucifix chop" while chanting mock hymns.

You're putting your team - and your city - in terrible company and, what's worse, you'd be doing so decades after many teams have abandoned similar branding.  

If you're starting a team from scratch in 2013, why even toy with that?  The "benefits" of such a name are beyond trivial, yet the costs are beyond measure.  

The name NEVER should've made it that far, but it's good to see that common sense finally prevailed.  

Well that does puts it in a clearer perspective of why they'd be upset..

Last edited:
Not a fan of any of the Native American names in professional sports to be honest - Indians, ******** moreso than others.

yes meth is right. many major sports teams still need to change their mascots and/or names. it is very insulting to parade around Native American culture like this.

Atlanta Braves
Cleveland Indians
Chicago Blackhawks
KC Chiefs
Washington ********
many more minor league teams....

It is pretty sad how the ******** are situated a stones throw from D.C., I mean America is trying to stand for liberty and equality, justice and a few miles away the ******** play..very ironic.

Tomahawks weren't "just" tools or weapons; they've held tremendous ceremonial value for many American Indian societies.  

Combine that with the history of reducing American Indians to offensive caricatures to serve as mascots for sports teams throughout North America and it's easy to see why this was such a terrible idea.

Would you name a team the Ottawa Bibles?  The Edmonton Yarmulkes?  It's just ignorant, and it reveals that the entirety of most people's knowledge of American Indian cultures comes from Hollywood westerns.  
The term "tomahawk dunk" is a product of the same era in which these racist team names and mascots were commonplace.  

If you go to a Notre Dame game, you don't see people twirling around rosary beads or doing the "crucifix chop" while chanting mock hymns.

You're putting your team - and your city - in terrible company and, what's worse, you'd be doing so decades after many teams have abandoned similar branding.  

If you're starting a team from scratch in 2013, why even toy with that?  The "benefits" of such a name are beyond trivial, yet the costs are beyond measure.  

The name NEVER should've made it that far, but it's good to see that common sense finally prevailed.  

While I agree with all that and have been outspoken about this in the past....

Still doesn't excuse them for taking a highly revered Hip-Hop groups name and making it their own w/o permission even if it's a homage.

Culture jacking is culture jacking anyway you spin it.

Last edited:
While I agree with all that and have been outspoken about this in the past....

Still doesn't excuse them for taking a highly revered Hip-Hop groups name and making it their own w/o permission even if it's a homage.

Culture jacking is culture jacking anyway you spin it.

i see your point

i always here about native american and indian (from india) culture being appropriated, but people are always taking black culture and making it their own

This is ridiculous. A tomahawk is NOT a racial slur. I can't STAND when people look for any scandal they can find in anything, just to stand on a soap box and preach for their 15 min of fame.

So are we now supposed to assume that ANYTHING dealing with race or a culture as it applies to sports teams names or logos is inappropriate?

Look at all of the college and high school teams down south branding the name "REBELS" and having the confederate flag flown outside their high schools, town halls and capital city buildings. Yet nobody is writing or speaking out causing a stir about that.

This kinda **** literally makes aggravated...

Back
Top Bottom