New York City Neighborhoods (Manhattan, Queens, BK)

I'm graduating next Spring (May '10), and I hope to move out to NYC as soon as I can financially afford it.
So my question now...where to live...I'll be 22, probably 23 by the time I actually make the move, so I'm looking for a nice neighborhood for a youngprofessional...
Basically, if I can't be in Manhattan (which obviously may not be possible for $ reasons), I still want to be a short train ride away.
Anybody from NYC, feel free to comment on these neighborhoods or other suggestions, it's greatly appreciated.
From limited research I've done so far:

Brooklyn:
-Cobble Hill
-Carroll Gardens
-Park Slope
-DUMBO
-Greenpoint
-Williamsburg
-Brooklyn Heights
-Fort Greene
-Clinton Hill

Queens:
-Astoria
-Long Island City
-Sunnyside
-Woodside

Manhatten:
-Seems like anywhere in the mid-southern area is vibrant...?
-And Harlem is looking to be on the rise...might be a good place to get into now?

Are there any nice neighborhoods in The BX at all?

Hey man just got your pm.

My expertise is Queens so what I can say upfront is that queens to me personally is as diverse if not more than Manhattan and all other boroughs so idk if youwanna count that as a pro or con. Manhattan right off the bat living in an alright area even is gonna be $ there are some spots that could/could not be okaywith you like harlem but I can't say for sure.

If your going to live outside of Manhattan and want to reside in a borough that could get you there within 1/2 hour then I would shoot for either Queens orBrooklyn. But you have to come to terms with our MTA system one day you can catch a train in say queens and be in Manhattan within 20 min other days it maytake you 45 min.

As for areas in Queens I would suggest:
Kew Gardens - might be a little money but very nice area, 5-10 minutes away from the E or F train which goes express into Manhattan
Astoria - a mix of different people/cultures, Steinway street is an okay shopping/eating/hookah spot, affordable, couple trains their that also go into thecity
Sunnyside - also very diverse ethnic populations here, good eats, bars,
Woodside - pretty boring to me
LIC - not one of our best areas but the reason I like it is because I sorta grew up their, I haven't been back for a bit but they have some okay stripclubs, bars, nightclubs.
Bayside - deeper into queens, more of a Korean community, quiet neighborhood, not much transportation to the city from here though
Forest Hills - I hang around here alot and its a pretty nice place to me, Austin Street has good eats, shopping, some good nightlife as well. Close to bothtrains going into the city and the LIRR trains going into long island if need be.
Elmhurst - more like a neighborhood sort of area, Asian and Latin populations are heavy here, close to Queens Center Mall and the R,V, and mysterious G train
laugh.gif

Woodhaven - I wouldn't really suggest living here, kinda boring to me, has some pretty good restaurants though. Leads into Elmhurst area
Rego Park - a sleeper area, people think its not really nice but has alot of apartment buildings, close to Queens Center Mall/Elmhurst area, might have to takea bus to get to the train though.
Flushing - Very Heavy asian community, this is our little asia in NYC. If you don't really like chinatown type areas then don't find a place here, buttheir are some dope eats here
Midland Parkway - one of our richer communities next to Jamaica estates and Kew gardens, really nice big houses here so if your money is right then you couldmaybe look to rent a piece of one of the houses

I cant really talk to much about the other boroughs other than their are also some sleeper spots in brooklyn like the ever-hip williamsburg and Park Slopewhich is a nice area.

My advice to you is to learn our MTA system of buses and trains especially if your not getting a car when you get over here. Their like the veins of NYC theyrun everywhere but you gotta find a specific route to get you were you need to be which could be to utilize both the bus and train.

And not to @%$* on BX but if your gonna work in the city don't bother really with finding a residence in BX

And like I said in your other thread you should come out here well in advance of when your planning on moving here and while having fun is to do research cuzit's not easy living here, theirs alot of stress that comes with this city, we're fast paced, we're kinda rude, kinda bummy, cloudy skies some daysbut this place isn't like any other in the world for a reason. When you come out here you really need to explore this city and just walk through it and geta vibe of different areas and make a list of the spots you would like to lay your head then hit up those apartment listings. GL

Originally Posted by rsdplaya

Basically, if I can't be in Manhattan (which obviously may not be possible for $ reasons), I still want to be a short train ride away.

I live in Astoria and it's a great neighborhood
20 minute train ride to the city,
Nightlife is awesome, lounges, beer garden, cafes
Plenty of different foods to eat.
I also noticed the demand for housing, there is plenty of brand new apartments being constructed around the area

hope this helps

I like Park Slope in Brooklyn

edit: then again, park slope can be expensive, but look into it

Originally Posted by pr0phecy718

I like Park Slope in Brooklyn

edit: then again, park slope can be expensive, but look into it
can I ask why you like Park Slope? What is it you like about the neighborhood?

The reason we like Park Slope is because it's a really nice community, I like the people there, nice brownstone buildings, cafes...etc.

5th_ave.jpg

20071114171652.jpg

SuperStock_2050-1435A.jpg

arch2.jpg

But this area is expensive though so please keep that in mind.

Grimlock just dumping on my poor Woodhaven
frown.gif

laugh.gif
but yea he pretty much broke it down as best as it could have been broken down. Seems like a good amount of Astoria heads. Should hit a happy hour
laugh.gif

Some of the above pics make bk look
pimp.gif
laugh.gif
then you turn the corner

Dont be fooled b the uprise in "diversity" and high-rises in Harlem....stay clear...try either BK or Queens, even tho i don't @*+% wit queenslike that

Originally Posted by SylvesterMcGrizzly

Some of the above pics make bk look
pimp.gif
laugh.gif
then you turn the corner

Dont be fooled b the uprise in "diversity" and high-rises in Harlem....stay clear...try either BK or Queens, even tho i don't @*+% wit queens like that
thanks for the info. iuno, i walked around harlem pretty late at night when i was there the other weekend, it didn't seem that bad...but iguess i was on 125th, maybe it's a little rougher on less main streets...?

and right now, BK seems like the best choice...somewhere in the north-western part of the borough.

i guess i should ask...what areas should i AVOID in BK?

East New York
nerd.gif
laugh.gif
and Brownsville
what about bed-stuy?

At that one to the list as well even tho they are tryin to force out the low incomers....still get it popping at night....alsoHarlem is light on 125rth latenight but u go down past St. Nick projects or down 7th or lennox +@%! always popping off...jus a few weeks ago i was walking down 7th wit my boy and within anhr's time, at least 8 cop cars was flying by...its always something goin down.....but also stay away from crown heights in bk as well....

East New York
nerd.gif
laugh.gif
and Brownsville
what about bed-stuy?

At that one to the list as well even tho they are tryin to force out the low incomers....still get it popping at night....alsoHarlem is light on 125rth late night but u go down past St. Nick projects or down 7th or lennox +@%! always popping off...jus a few weeks ago i was walking down 7th wit my boy and within an hr's time, at least 8 cop cars was flying by...its always something goin down.....but also stay away from crown heights in bk as well....

I live in Crown heights so I gotta give my 2 cents. It's a big neighborhood, so I wouldn't say avoid the entire area as a whole. You right though,there are some parts I wouldn't even go (i.e. Albany Houses), but there also some nice parts worth checking out...kinda varies block to block. I think thesame is true about the Stuy more or less. You right on with ENY and Brownsville.

Originally Posted by TheAfricanDream

East New York
nerd.gif
laugh.gif
and Brownsville
what about bed-stuy?

At that one to the list as well even tho they are tryin to force out the low incomers....still get it popping at night....alsoHarlem is light on 125rth late night but u go down past St. Nick projects or down 7th or lennox +@%! always popping off...jus a few weeks ago i was walking down 7th wit my boy and within an hr's time, at least 8 cop cars was flying by...its always something goin down.....but also stay away from crown heights in bk as well....

I live in Crown heights so I gotta give my 2 cents. It's a big neighborhood, so I wouldn't say avoid the entire area as a whole. You right though, there are some parts I wouldn't even go (i.e. Albany Houses), but there also some nice parts worth checking out...kinda varies block to block. I think the same is true about the Stuy more or less. You right on with ENY and Brownsville.
I recently moved into a new building in Crown Heights/Lefferts Gardens. I'm in a good area but the distance to the city is maddening (I usedto live in Williamsburg) and the 2/5 train is NOT a great train, especially on weekends. It's a good neighborhood, but not if you're working inManhattan. I don't see myself staying here beyond my 1-year lease, so I can't really endorse this place, but maybe your situation is different frommine.

^^^ yea, i'd be for sure working in manhattan. how far is the train trip from crown heights to manhattan (first stop in manhattan)?

it does seem to be a little far out in brooklyn....williamsburg seems like a much better option.

right now, williamsburg and astoria are the most intriguing.

anywhere in the bronx even worth a look?

i mean there may be one or two here and there but honestly their proximity to the city isnt appealing....yes the rent is a lot cheaper, but the trip is longerand the neighborhoods are jus a notch above BK and im not talking bout the nice areas....

WE HAVE DISCOUNT TICKETS FOR PRESALE AT THE LINK BELOW FOR THOSE WHO WANT TO SAVE A FEW BUCKS AND YOU GET IN THE FRONT OF THE LINE!!!

PURCHASE PRESALE $12 DISCOUNT TICKETS AND FRONT OF THE LINE PASS HERE
https://secure1.webconnex.com/dunkxchange_NYC_sept_27th

PURCHASE BOOTH SPACE FOR EVENT HERE
https://secure1.webconnex.com/dunxchange_table

The First week of October we will bring you NYC DXC. The event has had a date change due to a double booking of the venue we had lined up. The official datewill be on Sundays OCT 4TH!!!!!! AGAIN NEW DATE FOR THE 1ST WEEKEND OF OCTOBER. OCTOBER 4TH 1PM TO 6PM

We have grown so much over the years and as we grow we look to new ways of doing things. We are WORKING on bringing a special musical artist and Djs to performas well as great vendors and sponsors lined up for the event.

Admission to the event is only $15 and part of the door will go directly towards helping the Holy Grail rebuild.

Location of the event will ANGEL ORENSANZ FOUNDATION/ORENSANZ EVENT CENTER 172 Norfolk Street, New York, NY 10002 PHONE:714 809 2028

Time of event is from 1pm to 6pm and will be all ages.

IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO BOOK A BOOTH OR BE A LOCAL SPONSOR PLEASE CALL 714 809 2028 OR EMAIL [email protected]

i'm looking for something of a mix of:

If you want all that and more check out Astoria like my dude kington said. Great place.

Thanks guys for the info so far.

Astoria does seem like a great area for a younger guy. Gonna be checking it out next time I'm out there.

Astoria is pretty expensive and IMO, not that nice. Look into Sunnyside. It'd help if you gave us a price-range.

Originally Posted by justhotkicks

Astoria is pretty expensive and IMO, not that nice. Look into Sunnyside. It'd help if you gave us a price-range.

well price range kind of depends of what kind of salary i end up with.
but i'm thinking somewhere around 800-1000 a month per person, roommate of course to make it cheaper.

thing is, i'm kinda thinking if i'm gonna put up a 1000 in queens, why not just go to manhattan...? is $1000 doable in manhattan?

Back
Top Bottom