New York City Neighborhoods (Manhattan, Queens, BK)

1000 in manhattan? ehhh not really doable.

im moving in with my brother and 2 other roomates this weekend in Astoria. Im paying 500 a month for a room in an apt that has no living room type of area. Ifyou're willing to live in a spot like that you can find really affordable stuff in Astoria/Willyburg/LES/certain other BK neighborhoods. For me at thispoint, ill sacrifice a big TV area for an extremely affordable way to live on my own.

Originally Posted by IncredibleEv

1000 in manhattan? ehhh not really doable.

im moving in with my brother and 2 other roomates this weekend in Astoria. Im paying 500 a month for a room in an apt that has no living room type of area. If you're willing to live in a spot like that you can find really affordable stuff in Astoria/Willyburg/LES/certain other BK neighborhoods. For me at this point, ill sacrifice a big TV area for an extremely affordable way to live on my own.

so, you got a 2 BR and you turned the living room into a bedroom? i've heard of ppl doing that, but i probably wouldn't go that route. how is the lowereast side?

Yea dude you wont find a nice spot that your looking for in the city with the money you want to put up, just stick with either queens or Brooklyn, if you comeover here and make some more bread then consider the move to the city in a year of living over here.

You'd probably like Williamsburg in BK though, hipster central so its trendy idk what rent is out there though.

Originally Posted by rsdplaya

Originally Posted by justhotkicks

Astoria is pretty expensive and IMO, not that nice. Look into Sunnyside. It'd help if you gave us a price-range.

well price range kind of depends of what kind of salary i end up with.
but i'm thinking somewhere around 800-1000 a month per person, roommate of course to make it cheaper.

thing is, i'm kinda thinking if i'm gonna put up a 1000 in queens, why not just go to manhattan...? is $1000 doable in manhattan?

Rent costs have gone down a bit in Manhattan. Factoring in utility/internet/cableTV bills will push it out of your range though. The luxury buildings in theFinancial District, Northern Manhattan (90th st. and up), and the new ones in Long Island City aren't doable at $1,000-$1,200 per person.

You can get a more spacious apartment in Sunnyside (10 minutes to Manhattan) for a lot cheaper...big 2BRs go for around $1400. I understand the hoorah ofliving IN Manhattan but after a while you'll appreciate the extra money in your pocket.

On a side note...what job will you be taking?

Astoria is pretty expensive and IMO, not that nice. Look into Sunnyside. It'd help if you gave us a price-range.

well price range kind of depends of what kind of salary i end up with.
but i'm thinking somewhere around 800-1000 a month per person, roommate of course to make it cheaper.

thing is, i'm kinda thinking if i'm gonna put up a 1000 in queens, why not just go to manhattan...? is $1000 doable in manhattan?

Rent costs have gone down a bit in Manhattan. Factoring in utility/internet/cableTV bills will push it out of your range though. The luxury buildings in the Financial District, Northern Manhattan (90th st. and up), and the new ones in Long Island City aren't doable at $1,000-$1,200 per person.

You can get a more spacious apartment in Sunnyside (10 minutes to Manhattan) for a lot cheaper...big 2BRs go for around $1400. I understand the hoorah of living IN Manhattan but after a while you'll appreciate the extra money in your pocket.

On a side note...what job will you be taking?

thank you for the info, this is a great help! i don't have a job lined up or anything yet...but i'll be graduating with a finance degree and probablyalso an accounting degree. accounting isn't really what i see long-term, but i figure it might be the best choice for a few years since the pay is good.
umm, what else was i gonna say....

justhotkicks: from everything i've heard about astoria, you're the only person i've heard say they don't think it's that nice...may iask why...i appreciate hearing it from both sides. and also, what makes you recommend/like sunnyside?

astoria and williamsburg are two of the neighborhoods outside of manhattan that seem the most intriguing, especially for a young professional like myself.but that hipster trend, idk about that...is it really that hipster out in williamsburg?

and uhh, thing is...i really don't have that 40-80x rent salary since i'll just have graduated school, so it will be nearly impossible to get anapartment rented. what i'll probably end up doing is seeking out a roommate who already has a place...from listings i've searched through, it seemslike that can be a cheaper route.

Are there any nice neighborhoods in The BX at all?

Thee are nice neighborhoods in the BX but the gap between good and bad is immense
Riverdale/Fieldston/Country Club are probably the nicest areas in the Bronx.
Marble hill (the only area in the bronx thats both good and bad) is Ok except near the 'jects...... same goes for Throgs Neck
you are better off not considering the bronx

thank you for the info, this is a great help! i don't have a job lined up or anything yet...but i'll be graduating with a finance degree and probably also an accounting degree. accounting isn't really what i see long-term, but i figure it might be the best choice for a few years since the pay is good.
umm, what else was i gonna say....

justhotkicks: from everything i've heard about astoria, you're the only person i've heard say they don't think it's that nice...may i ask why...i appreciate hearing it from both sides. and also, what makes you recommend/like sunnyside?

astoria and williamsburg are two of the neighborhoods outside of manhattan that seem the most intriguing, especially for a young professional like myself. but that hipster trend, idk about that...is it really that hipster out in williamsburg?

and uhh, thing is...i really don't have that 40-80x rent salary since i'll just have graduated school, so it will be nearly impossible to get an apartment rented. what i'll probably end up doing is seeking out a roommate who already has a place...from listings i've searched through, it seems like that can be a cheaper route.

About Astoria: it's not that it isn't nice...it's just overpriced, as is Williamsburg. For the same amount of money, you can live in a much nicerapartment in Sunnyside, which is just a few miles away but equidistant to Manhattan. My cousin lives in Williamsburg and while the area is charming, herapartment flat out stinks. I still don't understand why people care more about the outside of the apt than the inside. When I was helping her find anapartment, I suggested her a nice semi-luxury apartment in East Midtown. She said it didn't have enough "character" and decided to move toWilliamsburg, pay the same, and live on the third floor of a walk-up with slanted ceilings and hallways less than a yard wide. I have to agree thatWilliamsburg is more "her", but I wouldn't call it a wise decision.

I understand that job prospects in NY are probably greater than where you live (if I remember, North Dakota), but it's still going to take you a full yearto find a job. That's over $10 Gs in rent alone. I presume you already thought about this so I must advise you to look for the cheapest possible housing.Don't worry so much about where you're living, because living in the city is rarely requires a long term commitment...you'll move out to adifferent apartment in less than 2-3 years.

thanks for the info.

i definitely must agree with your comment about finding cheap rent. i really don't plan on staying in the place for a long time i suppose...just longenough til i can move into a place closer to the city that will be at least a little more permanent.

will have to take that into consideration, but at the same time, i don't want to sacrifice too much distance from the city just for cheap rent....

Back
Top Bottom