[[ NEW YORK METS 2009 OFFSEASON POST: Beltran ahead of schedule ]]

I was looking forward to watching the Mets in peace today since I finally finished my 10 page papers. Oh well, Red Sox/Rays game will suffice.

I got Guitar Hero:Legends of Rock from Best Buy for $10 bucks, been busy for 2 hrs already.
laugh.gif

My prayers have been answered today
pimp.gif

PHILADELPHIA -- The plan for the immediate future of Oliver Perez became murkier Sunday at a time when some new sense of structure and certainty was expected.The Mets made no decision involving the troubled pitcher other than to exclude him from the pending turn of the rotation, a decision made easier because ofSunday's rainout and a decision with few lasting consequences.

Before the team flew to Atlanta on Sunday, manager Jerry Manuel still was uncertain, though he, pitching coaches Dan Warthen and Randy Neimann and assistantgeneral manager Tony Bernazard had discussed the possibilities. As was the case Saturday, Perez's retaining a place in the rotation never was mentioned asan option. Moreover, Manuel noted starting Perez comes with potential costs beyond the likelihood of a poor performance -- "stress on the bullpen and onthe mentality of the team," he said.

Manuel did say Perez could be used in relief this week. But he neither discounted an assignment to the Minor Leagues -- Perez would have to approve that -- norre-assignment to the bullpen.

"When you don't have to make a decision," Manuel said, "why make a decision?"

What made the situation more unclear Sunday were two new factors -- Perez developed an injury, a sore right knee, and he became non-committal about accepting aMinor League assignment, if asked. Perez had said Saturday, following a performance he characterized as horrible, "If I need it, I'll have togo." But after meeting with club officials in the trainer's room Sunday, he hedged.

"I was so frustrated [Saturday], I [could have said] anything," Perez said.

Perez said the club had told him nothing and that he was more relaxed than he had been after allowing six walks, five hits and four runs in 2 1/3 inningsSaturday.

"I can't say anything," he said more than once.

And Perez repeatedly said, "It's not my decision."

Once it seemed to be in response to whether he would accept the demotion. He was anything but clear. Of course, the decision to accept demotion -- if asked --is his alone. He didn't say whether he had spoken with his agent, Scott Boras.

The injury was a new development. Perez made no mention of it after the game Saturday or at all before that. But an ice bag on his knee was conspicuous by itspresence Sunday, prompting speculation -- among players and others -- that assignment to the disabled list had become another option for the club.

Three teammates, one who has become frustrated with Perez's poor pitching, said they knew nothing of the injury before Sunday. Manuel said he had noticedPerez "fussing with it [his knee]" after beating out an infield hit in the second inning. After he had dressed for the flight and the ice bag hadbeen removed, Perez was asked which leg he had injured. He hesitated and looked down before indicating it was his right leg.

"The knee has been bothering me all season," Perez said. "It doesn't feel good. This is my first time pitching with something that hasbothered me. It's not easy."

Manuel already had said the possibility of assigning Perez to the DL has not been discussed with him.

The manager's suggestion that Perez could pitch in long relief seemed to indicate Manuel doesn't consider the injury serious. He said Perez could usedin an extra-inning game, but how much could he be used in circumstances with so little margin for error, especially on the road. The Mets play in Atlanta onMonday and Tuesday nights. Having thrown 77 pitches -- 41 for balls -- Saturday, Perez probably wouldn't be available to pitch until Tuesday.

Without Perez, the rotation is this: John Maine and Livan Hernandez against the Braves and Johan Santana and Mike Pelfrey against the Phillies at Citi Field onWednesday and Thursday. Perez's start, pushed back because of the rainout, now would come against the Pirates on Friday night.

That assignment may go to Ken Takahashi, who impressed Manuel in his 2 2/3-inning cameo Saturday. The manager indicated Takahashi might have 65-pitch stamina.

40 yr old Takahashi starting? I'm sorry, but remind me again why we didn't sign.... ah, forget it.

So now Ollie has an "injury" all of a sudden... Coincidental? I think not.

Either way, I knew a lack of depth at starting pitching would eventually be an issue for this club.
tired.gif

And this right here better get nipped in the bud:

Originally Posted by J Steezzz

Three teammates, one who has become frustrated with Perez's poor pitching, said they knew nothing of the injury before Sunday.

It almost sounds as if we're on the verge of getting that clubhouse chatter that tends to always tear teams apart.

The only injury Ollie has is head trauma.

40 yr old Takahashi starting? I'm sorry, but remind me again why we didn't sign.... ah, forget it.

I doubt Takahashi will start, Figgy will be the more probable starter (and he has pitch well).

Until Pedro withdraws from his 5M p/yr demands, he can continue focusing on his gardening in Connecticut.

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

Until Pedro withdraws from his 5M p/yr demands, he can continue focusing on his gardening in Connecticut.
laugh.gif

I can't lie... I woulda though Dro would be in the DR right now.

GREAT comeback win by the Mets, especially on the road against the Braves.

Hopefully this can spark something...

^ It hasn't even been 30 games yet .

What you want? for them to be undefeated?

Talk about underachieving, look at the AL East

Anyone hear Sheff say before last nights game that this team is too "comfortable"?

Then this morning Ron Darling said that Sheffield was instrumental in getting the bench up, angry and into the game yesterday. He also said John Maine felt thepresence of the bench's demeanor from the mound last night.

With Delgado saying about having so much talent they sometimes get bored last year and Wright said about not playing other teams with the same intensity theyplay Phillie, does Maine's quote really surprise you?
indifferent.gif

Of course it's hard for everyone on the team to give 110% effort, focus and intensity for all 162 games, but I think they at least have to try, especiallyconsidering how the past three seasons ended and all the questions raised by their fans, the media and their opposition.

I don't see how Ollie in the pen would help. It will throw off his schedule and it won't help him, he's being selfish (well, his agent must be).

Anyone hear Sheff say before last nights game that this team is too "comfortable"?

Then this morning Ron Darling said that Sheffield was instrumental in getting the bench up, angry and into the game yesterday. He also said John Maine felt the presence of the bench's demeanor from the mound last night.
By July if this boat doesn't start sailing Sheff will be doing more than breathing down people's necks. He's the only son of a %%%%!with fire.

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

Then this morning Ron Darling said that Sheffield was instrumental in getting the bench up, angry and into the game yesterday. He also said John Maine felt the presence of the bench's demeanor from the mound last night.
By July if this boat doesn't start sailing Sheff will be doing more than breathing down people's necks. He's the only son of a %%%%! with fire.
But unfortunatly that fire hides the fact he is hitting .176

I mean, I'm not a big fan of Sheff but its not easy to hit sitting on the bench most of the time. The way he's been hitting the ball into some toughluck, he should be at least around the .240 mark.

He has more bat speed than David and most hitters on this team at his age.

Johan is NL Pitcher of Month
May 5, 2009

Johan Santana's teammates couldn't blow this win for him. The ace has been named National League Pitcher of the Month for April. Santana went 3-1 with a 1.10 ERA. He easily could have been 5-0, but the Mets twice lost games to the Marlins in which he started, once when Daniel Murphy's drop of a Cody Ross fly ball resulted in two unearned runs in Miami, and once at Citi Field when Sean Green couldn't hold the lead.

Santana struck out 44 batters in 32 2/3 innings. Santana has won the award in consecutive months, thanks to a dominating September in which he went 4-0 with a 1.87 ERA. It's his seventh monthly award including his time with the Twins.

wrong about putz blowing it, it was sean green, but congrats nontheless.

Back
Top Bottom