NEW YORK METS 2016 SEASON THREAD

This was entertaining as all hell. :rofl:

Either Skip was legit furious or he is a great actor.

The whole vid is worth a watch. But fast forward to 6:29 for Skip's meltdown.

And I completely agree 1000% with Shannon's take as well as Keith Law's slanderous ether of Tebow and the Mets organization. :x

Cliffnotes:

Tebow in 4 games in the Arizona Fall League: 0 for 12, 5 strikeouts, 7 balls put in play and none have left the infield. :x

We all know signing Tebow was purely a money grab. It's a shame this organization was the one to do it considering their success in the last two seasons. I was thoroughly annoyed when I saw the Mets signed him. Oh well, hope it was worth it selling those jerseys.

Wish the Mets played an actual 5 or 7 game series, would've given some of these teams a good fight even without the starters

Just need the rotation healthy next year, World Series bound :smokin

You're laughing out of fear hahaha

2h6zyvm.jpg

Perfect execution.
laugh.gif

I agree @MACkaveli511.... The conversation we're having is for another place. I will say that some of your logic is flawed. Not saying you're wrong or I'm right. But I think you missed the boat a little with my comments about how racism is viewed by the majority of people in the US.

It's cool though. We're united in that we want to see the Mets win, right?
laugh.gif

Anybody that bashes Terry at this point is someone who just will never like him no matter how well he does. Does he make questionable decisions? Sure. Now name me a manager who doesn't...... The team hasn't quit on him when they EASILY could have folded their tent in each of the past two years. Also, the biggest free agent on the market wanted to come back to the team knowing Terry was still going to be the manager. Only person who really threw shots at Terry was Niese and that was more from being hurt that the Mets got rid of him.

So anyway, how come no one in here wants to address the elephant in the room? Which is that the Mets ****** up in getting rid of Daniel Murphy.
mean.gif

Also, someone (Sandy or Terry) has to take the blame for Conforto not panning out.

And Jay BOOOOOOOOOOOOOce has to go.
If the Mets were just average at situational hitting w/ RISP, Murphy is never a story. I'm tired of Met fans continuing to bring this up. The lineup as constructed was largely power based. If the Mets got the production from Cabrera and Granderson all season that they got late in the year, they'd have contended for the East title. Signing Murphy meant no Cespedes. Murphy was the Nationals third option. Who would have thought his postseason play would have carried over to the regular season? It is what it is. Mets just need to stay as healthy as possible in 2017 so they can make a legit run.

Just because I'm from Minnesota I'm racist? Does that make sense?

It's not my fault Mets suck. Yankees too. Throw the Red Sox in there.
was just poking fun at ya.

I liked the twins when they mauer and morneau were good with gardenhire.  never the best team but always got hot and snuck into playoffs somehow.  thanks for Johan.  wish we didn't destroy his arm.

Mets offered Murphy the qualifying one year offer, but he just wanted the security of a few years

He signed an awful deal with the Nationals, not even Murphy knew he would be this good.

I'd rather have Cespedes.

Last edited:
Whats with the hostility?

Harvey to the Yankees is realistic, but Cespedes to the Yankees or Red Sox is not. If you're a baseball fan, you don't need an explanation.

Hopefully the 2017 Mets will be healthy and take the damn thing!

Last edited:
If the Mets were just average at situational hitting w/ RISP, Murphy is never a story. I'm tired of Met fans continuing to bring this up. The lineup as constructed was largely power based. If the Mets got the production from Cabrera and Granderson all season that they got late in the year, they'd have contended for the East title. Signing Murphy meant no Cespedes. Murphy was the Nationals third option. Who would have thought his postseason play would have carried over to the regular season? It is what it is. Mets just need to stay as healthy as possible in 2017 so they can make a legit run.

I probably should have been more clear.

The Mets played themselves by not trying to sign Yolo (Cespedes) AND Murphy. They have brainwashed a lot of the fans into thinking that it had to be one or the other.

But if the organization was really about trying to win a WS, they would have attempted to keep both players.

Let's not forget that the pitching is heavily controlled for the next several years. No large contracts anywhere in the rotation.

So the time to splurge on position players is now... BEFORE the pitchers start being eligible to sign max type deals.

You guys really don't think the reason the team can't get over the hump is due to lack of a more potent lineup?

The pitching has largely carried this team in the past 2 seasons to great heights.

Yet the ****** owners refuse to do what it takes to seal the deal. Which is to bolster the offense.

Nah, instead, let's go sign Tim Tebow to a minor league deal so that we can try to capitalize off of his name to sell some jerseys.

Ridiculous.

Murphys never had a season like 2016. Props to him. Hindsights always 20/20. Move on from Murphy already people.

Who's on your wishlist for the mets to get this off season?

Cespedes is #1 for me

I want a catcher.

shuges shuges I agree with you 100% the pitching has carried us the past 2seasons.
Nows the time to spend on hitting since starting pitching is established (and cheap).

Last edited:
Murphys never had a season like 2016. Props to him. Hindsights always 20/20. Move on from Murphy already people.

Who's on your wishlist for the mets to get this off season?

Cespedes is #1 for me

I want a catcher.

@SHUGES I agree with you 100% the pitching has carried us the past 2seasons.
Nows the time to spend on hitting since starting pitching is established (and cheap).
catcher + all the pitchers have to do better with holding players on 1B when theyre on base. it seems like the majority of teams increase their base running aggression when playing the mets

diewitsjames diewitsjames I agree. Our pitchers havent done too well with that, especially Syndergaard. Another part of that equation is having a catcher who can actually throw. Neither Plawiki nor Darnaud have been strong in that area.

I feel like the Mets have a lot of issues they need to address this winter:

We have too many infielders. Some of them play multiple positions. Who goes and who stays?

David Wright-is he retiring, will he be a part time player? Whats our plan-B ?

Familia's arrest, is he going to be suspended?

Last edited:
There's no such think as too many infielders when they're all utility/platoon guys. Need them all to mix and match.

@diewitsjames I agree. Our pitchers havent done too well with that, especially Syndergaard. Another part of that equation is having a catcher who can actually throw. Neither Plawiki nor Darnaud have been strong in that area.

I feel like the Mets have a lot of issues they need to address this winter:

We have too many infielders. Some of them play multiple positions. Who goes and who stays?

David Wright-is he retiring, will he be a part time player? Whats our plan-B ?

Familia's arrest, is he going to be suspended?
Most likely will be even if charges are dropped. Move Addison Reed to closer.

Priorities: Cespedes just because of how he impacts the lineup. If the Mets have to eat the fifth year, then do so.

Wilson Ramos, pre ACL tear, would have been high on my list as the catcher to go after as that is the most important position for the Mets. However, can he be as effective as he was previously? Plus, the year he had offensively is simply an anomaly when looking at his career overall. Hit over .300 this year while hitting only .229 and prior to this past season, he had never hit over .300.

I don't like the idea of spending money on a veteran catcher the likelihood of injury is too high. Gotta develop one.

Regarding Ramos, he got lasik and Spring Training and hit like he never has before. I honestly think he couldn't see the ball which is insane.

Also, this is the second time he's torn that ACL in that knee. I don't think he can catch everyday anymore and would be better suited on an AL team.

There's no such think as too many infielders when they're all utility/platoon guys. Need them all to mix and match.

I agree. But given our catcher situation and 1st base, i'll do some trading of the infielders to satisfy those 2 areas.

We have a multitude of infielders who can play 3rd, ss and 2nd. But only 2 real, natural 1st basemen (Duda and Loney).

I don't like the idea of spending money on a veteran catcher the likelihood of injury is too high. Gotta develop one.
How long are they going to wait to develop d'Arnaud though. He is injury prone. They haven't chalked up his performance this year to being hurt either. If the Mets have a "window", they need to go after a catcher who can be relied on everyday. Matt Wieters isn't the stud he was projected to be, but he's a solid catcher.

No surgery for Syndergaard. Bone spur wasn't that bad.

How long are they going to wait to develop d'Arnaud though. He is injury prone. They haven't chalked up his performance this year to being hurt either. If the Mets have a "window", they need to go after a catcher who can be relied on everyday. Matt Wieters isn't the stud he was projected to be, but he's a solid catcher.

No surgery for Syndergaard. Bone spur wasn't that bad.

I agree about D'arnaud. He can be our backup catcher. I like Rivera more. He seems to have a better arm and bat than Darnaud.

Walker and J.Bruce are back for 1 more year. If we can keep Yo, that'll be 2 potential (Cespedes & Bruce) 30hr 90RBI guys on our lineup. We havent had that since Beltran&Delgado. :smokin :smokin

I'd be surprised if Bruce is not traded before the season begins (if they do keep Céspedes)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom