New York Yankees Official Thread - vs Mets; 60-42 - Let’s Make a Deal

i've heard of soccer players dying. not to downplay that but honestly how often has that happened. and the Yankees are not the only team that gets sh*t in this city. the Mets , Knicks , Jets , Giants, Rangers and even the Nets got fans that hold em up to the pressure to win. don't think cause these teams that play here don't have that pressure cause they don't have as many chips, NY fans are passionate with every sport. think the Denver Nuggets who just won their 1st chip have the same pressure to repeat as the Knicks who haven't won in 50 yrs ? Ranger fans are nuts about em, ever see some of the fights after an Islander or Devils game wit em ? take a listen to the radio and see how the Jets and Giants are being talked about by their fans. Daboll took the Giants to the playoffs and won coach of the yr and already theres chirpin about people gettin tired of him and some of his decisions. NY fans are impatient, not all but a big percentage are. if you're not here you won't understand what we're sayin. not an excuse but believe it plays a helluva big part in how these guys perform ....
Right, but when the Knicks suck, nobody says "Well Obi Toppin just couldn't handle the pressure of playing for the Knicks. " That's the point. That's a Yankees specific excuse.

ok so when the Yanks or Mets offer Ohtani more than anyone let's see if he takes it or goes to Seattle or Texas ....
Dodgers or Mariners imo. West coast keeps him closer to home. I get it. LA to Tokyo is a 12 hour flight but that beats 18 to the east coast. Mets may offer more but that team is a train wreck. If they offer substantially more than the west coast teams, maybe.

We're you suggesting FA's pass up more money from Yankees/Mets bc they don't want the pressure of NY? Mets have bought a lot of dudes recently. Maybe I missed it. Who did that? Or maybe I read your post wrong.

We're you suggesting FA's pass up more money from Yankees/Mets bc they don't want the pressure of NY? Mets have bought a lot of dudes recently. Maybe I missed it. Who did that? Or maybe I read your post wrong.

Bonds and Maddux come to mind right away. Both turned down more money than play here, Maddux more than Bonds said he liked Atlanta's weather and NY was a "circus". theres more but i'm doing laundry :lol:

Bonds and Maddux come to mind right away. Both turned down more money than play here, Maddux more than Bonds said he liked Atlanta's weather and NY was a "circus". theres more but i'm doing laundry :lol:
Hahahaha you were back 30 years lol

Maddux actually spoke about that a few years ago. Crazy to think about how this would have changed things.

Hall-of-Fame pitcher Greg Maddux set the record straight about picking the Atlanta Braves when he was a free agent in December 1992, and it sure is disheartening for the Yankees.

According to Maddux, he had decided to sign with the Yankees, but never received an official offer because a team executive suffered a heart attack while he was in New York to cement the deal.

This new development, which was shared by Maddux this week when he appeared on David Cone’s “Toeing the Slab” podcast, contradicts decades-ago reports that the legendary right-hander had turned down $34 million over five seasons from the Yankees to sign a five-year, $28-million deal with Atlanta.

Here’s how Maddux told the story when he was asked by “Toeing the Slab” co-host Justin Shackil how close he was to signing with the Yankees after seven seasons with the Chicago Cubs:

“Oh, I was there. I went there to sign with the Yankees. I was shocked. I didn’t get offered a contract. It’s not college. I didn’t go there just for a recruiting trip. You kind of go there to sign the contract and everything. I had the nice day. I went around. I went to a show. I went to dinner. They said they’d be in touch with a contract offer and I’ve heard bits and pieces over the years, but I don’t know who it was …. Some of the higher-ups, one of the guys had a heart attack and that’s why I wasn’t made an offer. Gene Michael was the GM at the time. (Owner George) Steinbrenner was out of baseball. He was suspended and whoever was calling the shots then apparently had a heart attack. So I didn’t have a contract offer. So I got on the plane and went home.”

We had a layover in Chicago,” Maddux continued. “I remember landing in Chicago and calling Scott and he said, ‘The Braves were able to make you an offer,’ which originally was the team that I wanted to go to before I went to New York. (They) weren’t able to trade a player and have room for me, so then I was off to New York to go play there. For some reason, (the Braves) came in with an offer and I told Scott, ‘Do your Boras stuff. I want to play in Atlanta.’

“I hopped on a plane, and three hours later I landed back in Vegas and I had an offer from the Braves.”

“Gene Michael did call me and say, ‘You haven’t heard our offer. We’re going to make you an offer. You can’t sign with them yet.’ But at the time I wanted to win. This was ‘92-’93. The Braves had been to the postseason twice. They had a good young team, a lot of good pitchers.”

“I did want to stay in the National League,” he said. “I’d much rather face a pitcher than a DH any day of the week. And I enjoyed hitting and playing and being a baseball player. I didn’t want to go to the American League and just pitch.”

Soccer players have DIED for losing games and you think some mean things said on the radio is more pressure? The NFL has way more eyeballs and media. You're severely overrating your city and your team in this aspect. Playing for ManU or the Cowboys is just as much pressure as playing for the Yankees. Yes, the Yankees get more media than any MLB team but there's more sports than baseball and this whole "Well the pressure of playing for this team was too much for them" only happens with one team in one sport. Have you followed the EPL at all? Those fans are nuts. It doesn't even happen with the other team in the same sport in the same city. It really is the perfect excuse for the organization to avoid blame and people fall for it.
Man U is a team that hasn't been competitive in over a decade and are a complete joke and I relish in them being ***. Not to mention people thinking they're any good has made me lots of money gambling. The Cowgirls, same team who hasn't been relevant since the 90s, they celebrate someone like Tony Romo for God's sake. No one is dying because of soccer like that anymore, not since the Cartels so that's a major extreme

Hahahaha you were back 30 years lol

makes my point even more. there was a pitcher named Ed Whitson who came here in 85 (yes i remember him :lol: ) and got death threats to the point where he didn't allow his wife to come to games . 30 yrs means nothing, it's always been like this here ...

Man U is a team that hasn't been competitive in over a decade and are a complete joke and I relish in them being ***. Not to mention people thinking they're any good has made me lots of money gambling. The Cowgirls, same team who hasn't been relevant since the 90s, they celebrate someone like Tony Romo for God's sake. No one is dying because of soccer like that anymore, not since the Cartels so that's a major extreme
Pick your team, soccer fans are way more passionate than MLB fans, Europe and South America. Those guys are nuts. It's the biggest sport on the planet by far. Baseball is 3rd... in the US.

makes my point even more. there was a pitcher named Ed Whitson who came here in 85 (yes i remember him :lol: ) and got death threats to the point where he didn't allow his wife to come to games . 30 yrs means nothing, it's always been like this here ...
That's embarrassing tbh.

Pick your team, soccer fans are way more passionate than MLB fans, Europe and South America. Those guys are nuts. It's the biggest sport on the planet by far. Baseball is 3rd... in the US.
Soccer is my favorite sport, I hate entire cities due to my affiliations, you don't need to tell me. However, its different as soccer players tend to just chase the bag hence how you have a Saudi league trying to poach players to play in their league despite not being recognized or able to partake in the tournaments that decorate a player's legacy.

Soccer is my favorite sport, I hate entire cities due to my affiliations, you don't need to tell me. However, its different as soccer players tend to just chase the bag hence how you have a Saudi league trying to poach players to play in their league despite not being recognized or able to partake in the tournaments that decorate a player's legacy.
We all agree the World Cup is the biggest sporting event on the planet, right? Has anyone ever said "Playing for Brazil was just too much pressure for him."? Pressure can get to people, sure, but playing for the Yankees isn't the only pressure packed position in sports.

Again, "Playing for this team was too much pressure for him." is a unique excuse for the Yankees and only Yankee fans think it's a real thing.

We all agree the World Cup is the biggest sporting event on the planet, right? Has anyone ever said "Playing for Brazil was just too much pressure for him."? Pressure can get to people, sure, but playing for the Yankees isn't the only pressure packed position in sports.

Again, "Playing for this team was too much pressure for him." is a unique excuse for the Yankees and only Yankee fans think it's a real thing.
Brazil has choked away many a games and have not had much success, that for which they've let their players have it. Also, national team soccer isn't the best example because you can only play for the national team if you are a citizen. Many cases being born there. Not like a national team can turn around and say we want Messi to play for us let's get him on the team.

Your examples hold no weight, it sounds like you only just heard of soccer too. Please don't try to jack that too, already too many people I gotta try to get ahead of for WC2026.

Right, but when the Knicks suck, nobody says "Well Obi Toppin just couldn't handle the pressure of playing for the Knicks. " That's the point. That's a Yankees specific excuse.
Are you serious? Julius Randle gets the business and he was our best player and led us to the playoffs before Brunson got here. Son was getting booed booed and cats still want him gone for nothing. Elfrid Payton was getting the business too. You Def aren’t a Knicks fan.

dblplay1212 dblplay1212 is a modern day Christopher Columbus, just discovering **** and making it seem like he knows about it
lol what. I'm not a soccer fan but I'm enough of a sports fan to know those fans are extremely passionate.

And for the last time, thinking your single team is the only team on the planet with too much pressure is insanely dumb and just looking for excuses.

Just remember your Reality is not everyone elses Reality.

Everyone as a weakness Mentally, yes even professional athletes.

Are you serious? Julius Randle gets the business and he was our best player and led us to the playoffs before Brunson got here. Son was getting booed booed and cats still want him gone for nothing. Elfrid Payton was getting the business too. You Def aren’t a Knicks fan.
And literally nobody has said "Yea man, the pressure of playing for the Knicks is too much for Randle. He'd be much better if he played for the Grizzlies bc there wouldn't be pressure." That's the entire point. Fans are just as brutal on the Knicks as they are the Yankees but nobody says the pressure it too much for Knicks players. It's a uniquely Yankees excuse.

Seriously, stop and ask yourself if you really think playing for the Yankees comes with more pressure than any other sports team on the planet. If you think yes, we'll just disagree. No point in going in circles. Enjoy some football today.

And literally nobody has said "Yea man, the pressure of playing for the Knicks is too much for Randle. He'd be much better if he played for the Grizzlies bc there wouldn't be pressure." That's the entire point. Fans are just as brutal on the Knicks as they are the Yankees but nobody says the pressure it too much for Knicks players. It's a uniquely Yankees excuse.
So I guess we weren’t getting to Julius

Back
Top Bottom