New York Yankees Official Thread - vs O’s, 51-24 - Cole back!

I know Rizzo has been raking all season, but I’m curious about the makeup of this lineup if they were to try it.

1- DJ
2- Gleyber
3- Judge
4- Stanton
5- Rizzo

I know it makes it less dynamic because there’s no lefty to break up the first half of the order at the 2 or 3 spot. But I’m thinking in terms of optimization, and I know Judge at the 2 is to steal an extra at-bat every few games.

Putting Gleyber at the 2 spot will let him see way more hitter friendly pitches. DJ will get on at a high clip, and if you’re a pitcher you’d rather try your hand with Gleyber than you would Judge. That is going to lead to more things to drive , you will stay on the plate for Gleyber because DJ on, Gleyber on with a walk for Judge is disaster central with Judge, Stanton, Rizzo as the 3-4-5.

On the opposite end with what does happen with Gleyber batting 5th it puts him at a much higher pressure situation. Even amongst a huge slump he’s at 105 OPS, gonna end up with 50 XBHs for the year. But none of us are gonna say it’s been a great year. Solid bounce back year with ups and downs. Problem is with Donaldson, IKF and Benintendi, none of which are power hitters (this season for Donaldson) it puts so much more on Gleyber and he’ll see less pitches to hit because it’s not strong at the 6-7 spots. Take your chances with those 3 even though Benintendi can hit, but you’re not worried about him hitting a HR.

Rizzo at the 5 on the other hand, is a much better option to cap the top half of the order.
Rizzo has a great eye, and will get on more as they try to pitch around him.

I would then follow it up with Trevino - 6 as he’s been solid most of the season since May.
Then you can throw Tendi in the 7th spot to have a lefty bat to stagger. Then whoever is 8th or 9th will always come up with with one of the 3 guys prior from 5-6-7 on base on average.

I know it won’t happen because they like Rizzo’ bat to split the top half. But I do think Gleyber in the 2 spot and Rizzo at the 5 could do a lot for Gleyber and Rizzo’s patience could be helpful for 6-7-8 spots
If we're going to put someone in front of Judge to get them better pitches, I'm going with a better hitter than Gleyber. Remember they put Maris in front on Mantle, not Moose Skowron. Gleyber is clearly our 5th best hitter, you don't put him in the 2 spot. Regardless, I want Judge getting as many AB's as possible so leave him at 2 imo.

If we're going to put someone in front of Judge to get them better pitches, I'm going with a better hitter than Gleyber. Remember they put Maris in front on Mantle, not Moose Skowron. Gleyber is clearly our 5th best hitter, you don't put him in the 2 spot. Regardless, I want Judge getting as many AB's as possible so leave him at 2 imo.

Have some agreement with you. I’m thinking of optimization of the top 5.

How would you view Gleyber at the 4, Rizzo at the 5?

I think Gleyber has a lot more to give and maybe with Carpenter batting 6 behind him would be beneficial whenever he makes it back.
But the whole main point is allowing Gleyber to have somebody dangerous to hit behind him would be an optimizing factor for him. There’s almost zero reason to pitch to him currently, and he’s someone who presses too much at the plate where Rizzo lets it come to him. Rizzo at the 5 with a higher OBP and can more handle when he’s being pitched around would be better for 6-7 because Rizzo gets on at a better rate than Gleyber does.

Have some agreement with you. I’m thinking of optimization of the top 5.

How would you view Gleyber at the 4, Rizzo at the 5?

I think Gleyber has a lot more to give and maybe with Carpenter batting 6 behind him would be beneficial whenever he makes it back.
But the whole main point is allowing Gleyber to have somebody dangerous to hit behind him would be an optimizing factor for him. There’s almost zero reason to pitch to him currently, and he’s someone who presses too much at the plate where Rizzo lets it come to him. Rizzo at the 5 with a higher OBP and can more handle when he’s being pitched around would be better for 6-7 because Rizzo gets on at a better rate than Gleyber does.
I get what you're saying, but can't say I agree with it. I'm not willing to sacrifice AB's for my better hitters to help Gleyber. DJ grounds out, Judge doubles, Stanton K's. Who do you want up, Rizzo or Gleyber? I want Rizzo 100% of the time. Someone has to hit 5 without much behind them. I'd rather that be the worst of my top 5. I don't want them pitching around Rizzo.

When I have a child I will consider Giancarlo in the top 10 name choices. :lol:
Hand to God my daughter was called Mattingly for 9 months during pregnancy. We didn't know if it was a boy or a girl, but we were calling it Mattingly. 3 days prior to birth, wife says that if it's a girl she wants to name her after her mom that passed away 20 years ago. **** am I supposed to say about that? Came out a girl and Mattingly was no more. My daughter is now 4 and I still call her Mattingly from time to time just to make her laugh. She's fully aware of Don Mattingly.

I get what you're saying, but can't say I agree with it. I'm not willing to sacrifice AB's for my better hitters to help Gleyber. DJ grounds out, Judge doubles, Stanton K's. Who do you want up, Rizzo or Gleyber? I want Rizzo 100% of the time. Someone has to hit 5 without much behind them. I'd rather that be the worst of my top 5. I don't want them pitching around Rizzo.

I think it’s my biggest gripe most of the year is what they have had batting 6. And why I’ve been complaining most of the year. I’m now finally able to articulate it when thinking about where Gleyber should go in the order :lol: only took me 4 months

They are bottom 3rd OPS in the 6th spot. Gallo, Torres and Donaldson have been awful from the 6 spot. Hicks is at .700 OPS from the 6 spot. But 3 HR

If you have average at 7 and 8 spots. And mediocre or bad at 9, it’s not a big deal if 1-4 is top tier and 5-6 between 7-15 or better ranked in the league compared to everyone else’s 5th and 6th

If you tail off significantly at 6, it looks so much worse and stagnant than tailing off at 7 or 8

Give me pop 1-6. Competence at 7. And 8 or 9 could be whatever just hit a handful of homeruns a year. Yankees can have contact guys, but XBH and power must always be the calling card

Last edited:
I’d accept - a lot of moves to make in the OF coming up

Have to assume they will strap a ton to move Hicks
3 years / $31mil left. Eat half of it. And attach a couple prospects.

I wouldn’t bring back Carpenter. Been insanely good, but that’s a lightening in the bottle thing. The returns almost always significantly diminish that 2nd year. See the insane Soriano reunion then the really bad second year.

Benintendi- ???- Judge and Stanton DH/LF/RF

I wish the Martian wasn’t so raw. Would be the perfect situation to start your career.

Back
Top Bottom