New York Yankees Official Thread - vs O’s, 51-24 - Cole back!

I understand the optimism on those trades but a majority of us knew that Monty trade was bad and the Montas trade even worse. And you can’t even say both of those players went south per se because they were known injury risks and couldn’t stay of the IL. Bader offensive numbers weren’t really good with the Cardinals and he was in a walking boot. A pitcher with shoulder problems coming off the IL pitching in a “hitters” ball park was never a smart move. Our guys stay hurt but let’s go ahead and add 2 injury prone players hoping that they stay healthy :lol:
To be fair, "some of us" are negative about literally every single move so let's not act like they were geniuses bc even a broke clock is right twice a day.

That’s why some athletes excel in the playoffs and some don’t.
That's mostly variance due to small sample size. "Clutch" isn't a thing. Yes, some let the moment get to them and try to do too much but players don't miraculously get better and "rise to the occasion." during the playoffs. They just get hot for a week.

To be fair, "some of us" are negative about literally every single move so let's not act like they were geniuses bc even a broke clock is right twice a day.
I bet us “negative” ones have been more right than the “positive” ones though. And a lot more right.
And I wouldn’t quite call us “negative” we are just more realistic and truthful on what we see/saw/seen and can for see.

He batted 177….177
This isn't 1982. He had a .301 OBP and slugged .440. Overall he was at 103 wRC+, league average is 100. He was a slightly above league average hitter this year. Data is data.

1695839240519.png

I bet us “negative” ones have been more right than the “positive” ones though. And a lot more right.
And I wouldn’t quite call us “negative” we are just more realistic and truthful on what we see/saw/seen and can for see.
We could be on our 8th title in a row and some of y'all would still be negative. That's just how some of our fans are. It was the same was in the 90's and early 00's. Some people say things won't work, hope they don't work, then crow about being right. **** is weird to me but do you.

So that means Gleyber is better than good if Joey is above league average.
Hitter? Yes. Overall? No. He needs to work on his defense and baserunning.

Unless he hits like he hit in the 2h.He can be a terrible defender and baserunner if he hits like that and he'd still be good.

Overall looks like he'll end up as the 8th best 2b bat and 12th overall in WAR.

2h looks better though. 4th in wRC+ and 6th in WAR. Hope we get 2h Gleyber next year.

This is full season:

1695840837221.png

comes a point in time when we need to close the laptops and stop trying to build teams with a calculator. we've lost the human element to the game and are treating these guys like robots. those dynasty yrs weren't build on analytics, Gene Micheal knew baseball. that's what missing nowadays, baseball guys not nerds with 10 pgs of numbers for 1 guy. it's easy to just say things change , it's not the old days anymore. how good have we done in this new age of stats that tell u how good a guy is when the weather's above 70 and the sun's pointing west on a tuesday when his uniform's dirty ? i can't stand this new age of judging players.

:smh: :smh: :smh:

Hitter? Yes. Overall? No. He needs to work on his defense and baserunning.

Unless he hits like he hit in the 2h.He can be a terrible defender and baserunner if he hits like that and he'd still be good.

Overall looks like he'll end up as the 8th best 2b bat and 12th overall in WAR.

2h looks better though. 4th in wRC+ and 6th in WAR. Hope we get 2h Gleyber next year.

This is full season:

1695840837221.png
There is not ONE TEAM in MLB that would take Gallo over Gleyber even though it says Gallo is an “overall” better player and that’s why analytics are flawed. Don’t even care if it was a position of need or not needed.

comes a point in time when we need to close the laptops and stop trying to build teams with a calculator. we've lost the human element to the game and are treating these guys like robots. those dynasty yrs weren't build on analytics, Gene Micheal knew baseball. that's what missing nowadays, baseball guys not nerds with 10 pgs of numbers for 1 guy. it's easy to just say things change , it's not the old days anymore. how good have we done in this new age of stats that tell u how good a guy is when the weather's above 70 and the sun's pointing west on a tuesday when his uniform's dirty ? i can't stand this new age of judging players.

:smh: :smh: :smh:
The thing you're missing is everyone uses more data now and there's a reason for that. We just use is poorly. I get that you're old and you want 1982 back but every single team from the 80's and 90's would get dusted today. We need to use the same data that everyone else use, just use it better.

The thing you're missing is everyone uses more data now and there's a reason for that. We just use is poorly. I get that you're old and you want 1982 back but every single team from the 80's and 90's would get dusted today. We need to use the same data that everyone else use, just use it better.

give me the team today thats "dusting" the 98 Yanks.

you're forgetting the things that analytics and numbers ain't telling u. does this guy have heart, can he handle NY, is he a team guy or about himself, etc . all i'm saying is theres alot of other factors that we've just stopped taking into consideration. analytics works in places like Tampa cause there's no where near the pressure to win there like NY. u can slowly build a team and not worry about fans and every media outlet judging your every move.

and i'm a very young 47 not 75, stop acting like i'm sittin on a porch screaming at my socks about things back in my day :lol: you'll be here one day hopefully and some little sh*thead will irritate u about your age. i hope u remember me then :smokin

There is not ONE TEAM in MLB that would take Gallo over Gleyber even though it says Gallo is an “overall” better player and that’s why analytics are flawed. Don’t even care if it was a position of need or not needed.
The hell are you talking about? Nobody said anything about Gallo > Gleyber. Nobody said Gallo was good. He was barely over league average. That was still a massive improvement over what he was for us so I think it's worth looking into why.

Elite
Good
Ok
Slightly above league average
League average
Slightly below league average
Below league average

give me the team today thats "dusting" the 98 Yanks.

you're forgetting the things that analytics and numbers ain't telling u. does this guy have heart, can he handle NY, is he a team guy or about himself, etc . all i'm saying is theres alot of other factors that we've just stopped taking into consideration. analytics works in places like Tampa cause there's no where near the pressure to win there like NY. u can slowly build a team and not worry about fans and every media outlet judging your every move.

and i'm a very young 47 not 75, stop acting like i'm sittin on a porch screaming at my socks about things back in my day :lol: you'll be here one day hopefully and some little sh*thead will irritate u about your age. i hope u remember me then :smokin
lol "does he have heart"? smh come on man. "Heart" isn't real. The movies got you ****ed up.

And every single team is dusting the 98 Yankees. Have you seen what pitchers are throwing these days? Scott Brosius would hit .120. The players are bigger, faster, stronger, throw harder, balls move more, hit balls harder, scouting reports are infinitely better.... the list goes on. You had guys throwing 88 and dicing people up back then. That ain't happening today.

And man I'm 45 lol. I'm just not yelling at clouds on my lawn.

heart ain't real ? u serious ?

would u rather see O'neil, Tino or Jeter up in a big spot ? i don't remember Randy Johnson or Pedro gettin rocked often, who's comparing right now to those 2 ( include CY's too please ) ? and i think they threw a lil harder than 88 . who would u rather have today than Maddux ?

stop makin me ask questions if you're not gonna answer em. snarky comebacks don't count

I'm being serious here, think about it. Literally everything about the game is better now than the 90's. Pitchers throw harder. Hitters hit it farther. Fielders are faster. But you want to use the same metrics from the 80's to evaluate? Teams would destroy us. Just as players have gotten better, evaluations have gotten better. Gathering data has gotten better. Processing data has gotten better. We don't need to go backward in time. A front office from 1992 has zero chance today. We need to be out in front, not "old school."

heart ain't real ? u serious ?

would u rather see O'neil, Tino or Jeter up in a big spot ? i don't remember Randy Johnson or Pedro gettin rocked often, who's comparing right now to those 2 ( include CY's too please ) ? and i think they threw a lil harder than 88 . who would u rather have today than Maddux ?

stop makin me ask questions if you're not gonna answer em. snarky comebacks don't count
Please define "heart."

idk I'd have to dig into it but off the top of my head I'd say O'Neil, then Jeter, then Tino. That's how I'd rank them as hitters, but again, I'd need to go look at numbers.

You just named two of the top 10 pitchers of all time vs their era. They were great. I could name 20+ SP that I could drop into 1995 that would be on par with those two. They threw 98 with good movement and a good slider. That's very common these days. It wasn't in 1992, that's why they were so elite. That's how good pitchers are today. It's the same argument against Babe Ruth. He was an all-time great vs his era. Do you really think he'd be great today? I sure don't.

Maddux would get hit hard today. Batters are that much better and 88 with movement doesn't work now.

The hell are you talking about? Nobody said anything about Gallo > Gleyber. Nobody said Gallo was good. He was barely over league average. That was still a massive improvement over what he was for us so I think it's worth looking into why.

Elite
Good
Ok
League average
Below league average
My bad I read your response wrong :lol:

Elite
Good
Ok
League average
Below league average
Why not
Elite
Great
All-Star
Good