NFL Discussion Thread - Hall of Fame Game: August 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 90's success can defiantly be attributed Jimmy Johnson. Barry Switzer basically won with JJ's squad. The foundation the Cowboys currently have can be tied to what's left of the squad Parcells put together. That's my two cents for what it's worth...Left to stand on his own, Jerry hasn't accomplished a lot football wise, business wise he's made tons of dough, no question...

And you mentioned two very distinct instances where Jerry has brought in bright football minds to lead his team. Jerry hasn't had to "stand on his own" because in the past, he recognized where he lacked "football acumen" and brought in those who did not. 2 years ago, he fired Wade Phillips and promoted Garrett. The team only went on to win what? 5 of their next 8? Encouraging signs that suggest he made the right choice. Now, it's easy to look back and say that wasn't the best move, but at the time...where were the criticisms? They were silent. And you really think that if this team continues down the path they're headed on, a 5-6 win season, that Garrett would be back year after year? All Jerry has done is replace incompetence with new blood....ya'll can't even give him credit for that! I bet you could find fault with any owner who's held onto a team just as long too. I'm still waiting for somebody to tell me a team with more talent than the Dallas Cowboys.

The 90's success can defiantly be attributed Jimmy Johnson. Barry Switzer basically won with JJ's squad. The foundation the Cowboys currently have can be tied to what's left of the squad Parcells put together. That's my two cents for what it's worth...Left to stand on his own, Jerry hasn't accomplished a lot football wise, business wise he's made tons of dough, no question...

And you mentioned two very distinct instances where Jerry has brought in bright football minds to lead his team. Jerry hasn't had to "stand on his own" because in the past, he recognized where he lacked "football acumen" and brought in those who did not. 2 years ago, he fired Wade Phillips and promoted Garrett. The team only went on to win what? 5 of their next 8? Encouraging signs that suggest he made the right choice. Now, it's easy to look back and say that wasn't the best move, but at the time...where were the criticisms? They were silent. And you really think that if this team continues down the path they're headed on, a 5-6 win season, that Garrett would be back year after year? All Jerry has done is replace incompetence with new blood....ya'll can't even give him credit for that! I bet you could find fault with any owner who's held onto a team just as long too. I'm still waiting for somebody to tell me a team with more talent than the Dallas Cowboys.

Historically speaking, there have been numerous instances where coaches were fired mid season & went on to play better for the remainder of the season. The true picture usually comes about the following full season. We saw that with Garrett and we saw that with Crennell in KC most recently. For what it's worth, I never thought Garret was ready. His play calling as an OC was inconsistent & was continuation of what was already there.

For what it's worth, I never thought Garret was ready. His play calling as an OC was inconsistent & was continuation of what was already there.

Agreed 100%. But, when presented with results (more W's than L's), it's tough to justify bringing him someone else. If the Cowboys go on to turn things around and make the playoffs this year, Garrett will be back. That's just how it's going to work. Romeo Crennell is a bit separate because he had his HC opportunity in Cleveland and failed. At least with Garrett, a virtual unknown, he started out winning 5 of his next 8 games in that capacity.

Ugh, so saddened for Jahvid Best. Such a talent, but his health comes first. He seems like a bright kid, I wish him the best if we won't see him again.

I'm hearing that the Lions had no intentions of bringing him back, they were just waiting 'til he officially was in the league for three years so he could receive his pension package. If truly that's a VERY classy move by the Lions organization. Hats off to 'em.

For what it's worth, I never thought Garret was ready. His play calling as an OC was inconsistent & was continuation of what was already there.

Agreed 100%. But, when presented with results (more W's than L's), it's tough to justify bringing him someone else. If the Cowboys go on to turn things around and make the playoffs this year, Garrett will be back. That's just how it's going to work. Romeo Crennell is a bit separate because he had his HC opportunity in Cleveland and failed. At least with Garrett, a virtual unknown, he started out winning 5 of his next 8 games in that capacity.

Garrett will be back regardless of making the playoffs or not. He's there for at least another 2-3 years beyond this year. Jerry likes him too much. The only hope the Cowboys have is making it as wild card this year. Garrett also needs to commit more to the run but I don't think that's going to happen with the o-line issues & I hear Demarco Murray has some type of ligament issues...

^:lol: Pretty much

Peyton with that awful tackle attempt, including the failed legwhip :smh: :lol: Damn Peyton, it's definitely looking like he should've gone to San Fran

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom