NFL - Prisco's Top 10 RBs

Running backs [table][tr][td]1. Adrian Peterson, Vikings[/td] [td]thatlsk's Rankings[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
517568.jpg
[/td] [td]
[table][tr][td]Games played: 16[/td] [td]Rushing yards: 1,760[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Touchdowns: 10[/td] [td]Fumbles: 9[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Analysis: He puts fear in defenses every time he touches the ball. Imagine if he had real help from the passing game?[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [td]1. Adrian Peterson, Vikings
Comment: A.P. is back with an even better offensive line. He has the size, strength, and vision to do a lot of damage this season. He also proved that he is durable and can hold up for an entire season after missing games in every year going all the back to his freshmen year in college. All Day should prove to be the best back in the NFL again this season.[/td] [td]
517568.jpg
[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][td]2. Michael Turner, Falcons[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
493097.jpg
[/td] [td]
[table][tr][td]Games played: 16[/td] [td]Rushing yards: 1,699[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Touchdowns: 17[/td] [td]Fumbles: 3[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Analysis: He answered a lot of questions last season as to whether he could be a feature back. Now he has to show he can do it again.[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [td]2. Michael Turner, Falcons
Comment: Turner looks to duplicate last year's success with the Falcons. The big back will be prime real estate in a declining backfield. Look for Turner to have another successful year as team's can't load the box with eight, because Matt Ryan and Tony Gonzalez will look to keep the defense honest with an improved passing attack.[/td] [td]
493097.jpg
[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][td]3. Steven Jackson, Rams[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
492963.jpg
[/td] [td]
[table][tr][td]Games played: 12[/td] [td]Rushing yards: 1,042[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Touchdowns: 7[/td] [td]Fumbles: 5[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Analysis: The injuries on the offensive line really hurt him last season, but that line will be better this season and so will Jackson.[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [td]3. DeAngelo Williams, Panthers
Comment: Williams gained 1,515 yards and scored 18 TDs as the featured back in the Panthers' offense. And will only look to improve on those stats. Finally given the chance to carry the full load in Carolina, he more than proved that he was up to the task by doubling his career rushing totals to that point.[/td] [td]
423714.jpg
[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][td]4. DeAngelo Williams, Panthers[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
423714.jpg
[/td] [td]
[table][tr][td]Games played: 16[/td] [td]Rushing yards: 1,515[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Touchdowns: 18[/td] [td]Fumbles: 0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Analysis: He had his breakout season in 2008, but he will share more of the load with Jonathan Stewart in 2009.[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [td]4. Brian Westbrook, Eagles
Comment: Westbrook is coming off surgery and doesn't have the rushing totals of some of the other RBs on this list, but he more than makes up with his playmaking skills and ability to catch the ball out of the backfield. If DeSean Jackson and Jeremy Maclin can get open and get more balls thrown their way Westbrook might get the rest he needs and be able to finish the season strong.[/td] [td]
302144.jpg
[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][td]5. Brian Westbrook, Eagles[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
302144.jpg
[/td] [td]
[table][tr][td]Games played: 14[/td] [td]Rushing yards: 936[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Touchdowns: 9[/td] [td]Fumbles: 2[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Analysis: He's an all-purpose threat who can be an inside runner. He does have some injury concerns.[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [td]5. Clinton Portis, ********
Comment: Portis has become the workhorse of the ********' offense the past few years with over 300 carries. He did slow down at the end of last season but at only 27, he still has a lot left in the tank. If Jason Campbell can develop into a better QB, Portis can be just as product with a few less carries.[/td] [td]
302215.jpg
[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][td]6. Chris Johnson, Titans[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
523490.jpg
[/td] [td]
[table][tr][td]Games played: 15[/td] [td]Rushing yards: 1,228[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Touchdowns: 9[/td] [td]Fumbles: 1[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Analysis: This might seem high, but he only scratched the surface as a rookie. He has as much explosiveness as Peterson.[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [td]6. LaDainian Tomlinson, Chargers
Comment: In what was considered a down year for L.T., most other backs would love those stats. He posted 1,100 yards and 11 TDs, which is nothing to sneeze at. He finished the last two years watching the Chargers end the seasons with losses while he sat on the bench. But if he can come back 100% healthy, he is still a top 10 running back in this league.[/td] [td]
235249.jpg
[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][td]7. LaDainian Tomlinson, Chargers[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
235249.jpg
[/td] [td]
[table][tr][td]Games played: 16[/td] [td]Rushing yards: 1,110[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Touchdowns: 11[/td] [td]Fumbles: 1[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Analysis: Is he done? I don't think so. He's ready for a bounce-back season.[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [td]7. Steven Jackson, Rams
Comment: Jackson was another elite back whom stumbled a lot last year with injuries but when healthy Jackson is one of the most dangerous weapons in the NFL. With a nice combination of speed and strength Jackson can run by you or over you, expect him to come back healthy and be a threat in both the run and passing game.[/td] [td]
492963.jpg
[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][td]8. Frank Gore, 49ers[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
411568.jpg
[/td] [td]
[table][tr][td]Games played: 14[/td] [td]Rushing yards: 1,036[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Touchdowns: 6[/td] [td]Fumbles: 6[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Analysis: If the 49ers get better in the passing game, he'll be better. He's a tough inside runner who has the speed to rip off long runs.[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [td]8. Matt Forte, Bears
Comment: Forte is young and he's good. He performed well above average in his rookie season and is looking to build on it. With the addition of Jay Cutler, the Bears should really be able to spread the field, which will create running room for the young back. If Chicago can get the passing game going, Forte should have another monster year.[/td] [td]
559687.jpg
[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][td]9. Steve Slaton, Texans[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
565727.jpg
[/td] [td]
[table][tr][td]Games played: 16[/td] [td]Rushing yards: 1,282[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Touchdowns: 9[/td] [td]Fumbles: 3[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Analysis: He has an impressive rookie season and his numbers will be even better in 2009 if he stays healthy. He's a slashing runner.[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [td]9. Chris Johnson, Titans
Comment: Johnson is young, cocky and fast, he recently nicknamed himself every coaches' dream and while those are big words he more than backed it up in his rookie season. The combination of Johnson and LenDale White keep defenses guessing as to what is coming at them and Johnson is ready to show them just what he has to offer.[/td] [td]
523490.jpg
[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][td]10. Maurice Jones-Drew, Jaguars[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
409879.jpg
[/td] [td]
[table][tr][td]Games played: 16[/td] [td]Rushing yards: 824[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Touchdowns: 12[/td] [td]Fumbles: 6[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Analysis: With Fred Taylor gone, his numbers will go up. Can he handle 20 carries a game?[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [td]10. Brandon Jacobs, Giants
Comment: Jacobs is 260 pounds of pure power. Even though he split time with other backs, Jacobs was able to pile up 1,000 yards and 15 TDs. Since Derrick Ward moved to a sunnier location with the Bucs, at least a quarter of Ward's 182 carries should belong to Jacobs. This could result in an easy 150 yards and a lot of punishment for some defensive players out there.[/td] [td]
551405.jpg
[/td] [/tr][/table]
Ignore the rankings on the right if you want. Think it's some random poster on Sportsline.

I'm sure this thread is gonna be fun - let's stir up some good debates.

Turner a little high for my taste, need more than one great season to be ranked second. This coming year will really tell what he's made of when defensesload up the box and make Matty Ryan beat them. Meanwhile Frank Gore is way too low.

Prisco's got a lot of faith in Steven Jackson I see. I mean SJ's got all the tools to be a top 5 RB but STL is kinda in rebuilding mode. How is thatgonna help his production?

I don't think Slaton is top 10 material yet and MJD needs to prove to us he's a top 10 back before I can confidently place him on the list.

My list:
1) AD
2) Gore (if Singletary uses him right - dude should get at least 300 carries on the season)
3) DeAngelo Williams (imagine if he didn't split a good amount of carries with Stewart)
4) Turner (could easily be higher I know - if he even comes close to last season's output I'm putting him at #2)
5) CJ (had a hard time putting him over Jackson - could be few spots lower but I got big expectations for this season)
6) Jackson (don't really like the situation he's in)
7) Portis (could be switched with Forte - carries Washington's offense at times and does everything you want in a RB well)
glasses.gif
Forte (gotta get the YPC up but adding Pace/Cutler should help a lot - bright future and also serves as a receiving option out of the backfield)
9) LT (want to put him higher on the list but small nagging injuries plus he just hit 30 and we know the history for RBs - Sproles will take carries away aswell)
10) Westbrook (yes I'm an Eagles fan and all but BW hasn't proven enough as a runner, well consistently at least - otherwise he'd be higherconsidering just how dynamic BW is as an offensive weapon)

Just missed: Ronnie Brown (not there yet, needs to show more this season), Ryan Grant (one of those guys that probably won't ever crack the top 10 but asolid runner regardless, Bosco!!), Marion Barber (runs hard but also needs to show development this year much like Brown), and Thomas Jones (unheralded but TJhas put in work for a couple years now steroids or not
laugh.gif
Leon Washingtonseems to get more credit for the flashy plays)

Rising fast: MJD (Taylor's out and Del Rio should go back to pounding the football instead of relying on Garrard's arm), Slaton (things looking good inHouston but a lot rides on Matt Schaub), Lynch (addition of TO should open the field for this guy to run, doesn't help that Edwards lacks a big arm), KevinSmith (addition of Stafford and Pettigrew will help his growth, still a year or two away from these other guys mentioned), and Jacobs (at 27, Brandon lacks bigplay ability but he wears down defenses and 15 TDs always looks good)

Rookies to watch: Beanie (ideal situation, will be the best RB out of this class IMO), Knowshon (Jersey kid so I gotta show support, starting job is his tolose), and Shady (will relieve the burden on Westbrook, should contribute for the Eagles right away)

Hot seat: Addai, Reggie Bush (hasn't posted 4 YPC since entering the league), LJ (worried that all those carries have worn the guy out), Parker (should endup splitting carries with Mendenhall), and McGahee (relatively young at 27 but are his best days over?)

Waiting in the wings: Ray Rice (Rutgers
smokin.gif
will take over for Willis),Mendenhall (as mentioned, ready to split carries with Parker), Donald Brown (short leash on Addai, could be the starter by the end of the season), Stewart (abit unfortunate that dude has to share carries with none other than DeAngelo Williams, still working on shedding the "soft" label), Pierre Thomas(probably the better every-down back as opposed to Bush), Felix Jones (home run hitter with a lot of talent), and Bush/D-Mac (potent tandem in Oakland, Bushbeing the grinder and D-Mac as the big play threat)

Main theme I see is young RBs with lots of ability ready to take over for the older group. Most people know how high I am on D-Mac, I think he has the chanceto be one of the best backs in the league eventually. Another year or so away before we have that discussion though.

People can hate on the Skins all they want, but the fact that Portis isn't even in that top 10 is a @**$*#% joke.

Ignore the rankings on the right if you want. Think it's some random poster on Sportsline.

Not sure why, seems alot more on point than the one on the left, although Jackson should be higher.

there are alot of good, but not great backs in the L right now.

I don't see much disparity between #5 and #15 right now, honestly.

Originally Posted by The Wizard

there are alot of good, but not great backs in the L right now.

I don't see much disparity between #5 and #15 right now, honestly.
who do you have as your top 5

How on God's green earth can u even justify having Frank Gore as your #2 RB? you dont like Steven jacksons situation but you like Gore's? Huh?

Steve Slaton in anyone's top 10 is a joke, LOL

Mo Jones Drew top 10? wow...

yea Shannon, that user list looks alot better than the Original list.

Adrian "All Day Fumbling" Peterson
pimp.gif

Peterson, Williams, Turner, LT, I can't pick between SJax & Portis, imma side with Portis bc he's my favorite back.

but you gotta also put into consideration, Gore, CJohnson, Jacobs, Westbrook, Thomas Jones, Ronnie Brown, Willie Parker, Lynch, Forte, MJD, Slaton. I'mprobably leaving some people out.

Back
Top Bottom