Nike Air 180 OG

The guy said they went into the archives and scanned an original and mapped out how it was constructed and then matched it stitch by stitch. This shape shown seems pretty straight on doesn’t it?
IMG_1696.jpeg

These look ****ing great man . People will always find something to nitpick about

the uppers are stitch for stitch it seems , but the outsole is not entirely og specs ,I believe. and why I was a bit sad about it , but it is much closer ,real close minus the og translucent flaps ,they just went for the optical correctness again not for complete technical correctness. fine by me , I do understand ,at least it looks like how it should .
maybe they are even better in hand or on foot, I will have to order me a bunch anyway . I am starting to agree with you I think they will do nicely and do look pretty straight on. thanks buddy!

Flaps ?

I made quick comparison pics with the OGs.

To me it looks like they focused solely on the bubble size and not on the overall shape, which has been total garbage on the retros so far, and still seems to be.

180UMcomp.jpg

180comp5.jpg

180comp4.jpg

180comp3.jpg
180comp1.jpg

180comp2.jpg

Only thing I could see that’s even somewhat worth mentioning is the plastic piece above the midsole is too small and the swoosh could be a little longer . That’s about it . But to my eyes . The shape looks great

It's a size 7 or 7,5 in the pictures. Ok, so from what I hear from my sneakerhead-friend the bubble was indeed the same size for sizes 40 (eu) and up. From size 40 to smaller sizes there was a 'kids' version apparently?
They were called Nike Air International and didn't have the full wrap around bubble, but instead something thatlooks like a Structure Triax unit

Nike-Air-180-Collection-by-Iceberg-2.jpg

Nike-Air-180-Collection-by-Iceberg-6.jpg

Two more things I'm happy with came to mind with coffee and some pondering time this morning:
- first: they just call it 'Air 180' again and not that dumb 'Air Max 180'.
- second: that no one really seems that interested in these other than us, I mean it's not like it's breaking the internet or something 🤩💪

Now let's hope that they tested them well in regard of the construction and creaking of the previous retro's! Anyone having thoughts on maybe an silver OG box?? 🤩💪

Re: the flaps-thingies: how can you already tell from the footage we've seen that they probably lack the flaps?

Chris.

DSC_0357[1].JPG

DSC_0356[1].JPG

size 13 vs size 7 . they are not the same size , the airbag, however, is the same size. the brain gets fooled into thinking the smaller pair has a bigger air unit and the bigger pair has a smaller one ,while in fact they both measure 7,5 cm long.
Two more things I'm happy with came to mind with coffee and some pondering time this morning:
- first: they just call it 'Air 180' again and not that dumb 'Air Max 180'.
- second: that no one really seems that interested in these other than us, I mean it's not like it's breaking the internet or something 🤩💪

Now let's hope that they tested them well in regard of the construction and creaking of the previous retro's! Anyone having thoughts on maybe an silver OG box?? 🤩💪

Re: the flaps-thingies: how can you already tell from the footage we've seen that they probably lack the flaps?

Chris.
They should keep the name how it was ,do the og box too and the booklet or course.
I can see it . because they not only wrap the airbag, they are part of the outsole . this is just glued directly and flat to the airbag and midsole. I can see the two diff materials.
also the air visibility is to clear. if it had those flaps it would be a bit less transparent like the og . it is a darker like grey ,and not your directly exposed ,clear airbag like max 90. or the big bubbles ,again I won't be mad at them .they are doing the best they can, and have to make a lot of compromises.
we will have to wait ....

DSC_0357[1].JPG

DSC_0356[1].JPG

size 13 vs size 7 . they are not the same size , the airbag, however, is the same size. the brain gets fooled into thinking the smaller pair has a bigger air unit and the bigger pair has a smaller one ,while in fact they both measure 7,5 cm long.

They should keep the name how it was ,do the og box too and the booklet or course.
I can see it . because they not only wrap the airbag, they are part of the outsole . this is just glued directly and flat to the airbag and midsole. I can see the two diff materials.
also the air visibility is to clear. if it had those flaps it would be a bit less transparent like the og . it is a darker like grey ,and not your directly exposed ,clear airbag like max 90. or the big bubbles ,again I won't be mad at them .they are doing the best they can, and have to make a lot of compromises.
we will have to wait ....

Why is it that you say they’re doing the best they can and that they have to make compromises. ? I’m genuinely just curious . I mean they could put all this effort into quality and materials and everything back in the 80s and 90s and even the early 2000s . Why should it be different now ? Especially with technology in general being much more advanced obviously

I’m just excited as hell man. I remember being a kid wearing my Air Tech Challenge 3 Volts I just got and walking across the gym floor after class. Ahead of me was a kid that had the Ultramarine 180s and I wanted a pair. 34 years later I will finally get to try a pair. :rofl::rofl:

Also I wonder if we will see a Command Force 180 pump and Force 180 Barkley since they will have the correct airbag.

I’m just excited as hell man. I remember being a kid wearing my Air Tech Challenge 3 Volts I just got and walking across the gym floor after class. Ahead of me was kid that had the Ultramarine 180s and I wanted a pair. 34 years later I will finally get to try a pair. :rofl::rofl:

Also I wonder if we will see a Command Force 180 pump and Force 180 Barkley since they will have the correct airbag.

I feel you man . For whatever reason . Every damn time these retrod I was taking a long hiatus from buying shoes and even checking on what’s coming out and all that, but I’ve ALWAYS wanted them …so. That’s not going to happen this time lol

Why is it that you say they’re doing the best they can and that they have to make compromises. ? I’m genuinely just curious . I mean they could put all this effort into quality and materials and everything back in the 80s and 90s and even the early 2000s . Why should it be different now ? Especially with technology in general being much more advanced obviously
they can not make tubes either , you will have to make do with transistors. look at the poor state of the remaining company of cassette decks. they made better cassette decks in the seventies.
technology gets lost, and the knowhow .companies move on.
also it cost huge sums of money to brick back old tech.
it is not as easy to do as one might think. that is why we have replaced the old tech in the first place, it's hard to go back to older tech as a company, meaning no more vhs . if jvc would retro their vhs system as it was ,they would go broke.
you should be able to understand those kind of dynamics, so I am pretty sure they did their best as I said.
you really think these good people would be lying about it?

they can not make tubes either , you will have to make do with transistors. look at the poor state of the remaining company of cassette decks. they made better cassette decks in the seventies.
technology gets lost, and the knowhow .companies move on.
also it cost huge sums of money to brick back old tech.
it is not as easy to do as one might think. that is why we have replaced the old tech in the first place, it's hard to go back to older tech as a company, meaning no more vhs . if jvc would retro their vhs system as it was ,they would go broke.
you should be able to understand those kind of dynamics, so I am pretty sure they did their best as I said.
you really think these good people would be lying about it?

Do I think they’d be “ lying “ necessarily ? No … do I think companies . Such as Nike for a good example would turn out a cheap poor quality product knowing that it will sell well based on its name and nostalgia alone ? Absolutely lol
I’m not referring to these 180s when I say that, however . I’m just more talking generally here. Occasionally, yes they deliver a solid retro that is pretty damn close on the money when compared o the original product. But I think most people here would agree that the majority of Nikes retros are pretty lackluster as far as build quality and materials etc are concerned. ESPECIALLY when comparing 1:1 a retro to an OG of the same pair.

I’m just excited as hell man. I remember being a kid wearing my Air Tech Challenge 3 Volts I just got and walking across the gym floor after class. Ahead of me was a kid that had the Ultramarine 180s and I wanted a pair. 34 years later I will finally get to try a pair. :rofl::rofl:

The forces are coming mark my words

Back
Top Bottom