Nike Air Jordan 1 Retro "UNC" - The Aftermath - NO BUYING/SELLING/TRADING

View media item 1779284
Picked my pair up from Ftl on 10/10 and can't get over this little rip/tear...would be different if i did it, but brand new out the box still ds...wish they could exchange it for me, but unless they give me a decent discount might just have to return em...

Had to work so I missed the link 
mean.gif
 repped tho.

Which means you were a junior in high school when the OG 12s dropped and by '99 you were barely out of high school. That's all I need to know about where you were at in the mid 90s and thus the reason why you actually believe SB's "spawned reselling."

And believe me, I can care less how many NTer's share your sentiment or mine. Bottom line is this: I was there to live it. Which means, I was there camping out (aka falling in line at 8am before Footlocker opened) in the mid 90s, networking with employees and managers of shoe stores, and getting the low down on inventory....while you were sitting in your desk at 5th period English waiting for your pops to pick you up from school so he could take you to the mall and pick you up a pair.
Lmao! That was really funny.

Jordans may have created the concept of shoes selling out, but it wasn't until the SB craze of the 2000's that created the resale market that we see today. Also, it created the whole "nickname" thing. Before, I would roll up to Foot Locker and ask for the shoes by the name and colorway, not the "Candy Canes" or "Big Bangs."

Kix has sold GMs in the past. A lot of NTers will push their experience as the end all be all but when I warned folks about the infrareds at city sole...I was a "hater" or "salty"

Guess what happened...Citysole closed up shop.

Didn't they come back as another name and that closed?

Wasn't that weekenddrop?

You miss the point. San Marcos, TX market certainly aint Los Angeles and in my neck of the woods, 11s 12s 13s did NOT sit. Even 6s 7s and 8s sold out. In fact, I had to put my Black/Red playoff 7s on layaway because sizes were going fast.

Your attempts at sarcasm display your ignorance. If you were just a kid from '92-98, there's nothing you can do to convince me you "experienced" the air jordan sneaker frenzy to its fullest extent in those days.

View media item 1780018

Black/Red 16s were gone by 10am in Dallas.
Cats that showed up at the normal store opening time were pissed and tried to tear up the store.

Black/Red 16s were gone by 10am in Dallas.
Cats that showed up at the normal store opening time were pissed and tried to tear up the store.

Anything patent sold out quick. In l.a., me and boys bought the last 4 pairs at noon day of release

I can't disagree that there may have been at least one person copping multiples to keep or to flip. What I'm saying is that practice was no where near as common as it is today. I got my first pair of Jordans in 2001 and I certainly knew of no one doing it back then, but I'm sure there may have been a few guys.

Here's where you missed my whole point. I NEVER said that the practice of copping multiples to flip was as common back then as it is now. Of course it's a lot more common now. My whole point from the beginning and my stance from the beginning was that the practice of flipping BEGAN long before the retro boom of the early '00s. I've been saying the whole time that copping multiple pairs - one to rock, one to stock, and one to flip - WAS AROUND in the mid to late 90s. Although not as rampant as today, but it was certainly being done by a lot of people. But think about it, people wouldn't have known back then how large scale it was because there were no sneaker websites, or Ebay, or Craigslist, to gauge the trend. The only way someone would've known how common it was back then was to actually ACTIVELY DO IT and ACTIVELY NETWORK with sneaker heads, store managers, employees, etc. That's how I found out that a lot of other people were doing it. I was talking to people about "the game" every single day.

And believe me, one of the reasons no one (or hardly anyone for that matter) was doing it back in 2001 when you copped your first J's was because in 2001, the Air Jordan line was basically dead. MJ was playing for the Wizards, he was old, he wasn't winning, and the Air Jordan sneaker frenzy that was sky high when he was winning three-peat after three-peat had basically eroded into the abyss. By 2001, it was all about Iverson, Kobe, T-Mac, and a new generation of NBA stars.
The XIV's were the last real Air Jordan, but 2001 and one was around the start of the retro craze. I believe the Concords dropped in September 2000 and that's where it all really started from. The retroes wouldn't last past the weekend here in Miami, but that's a different story.

The XIV's were the last real Air Jordan, but 2001 and one was around the start of the retro craze. I believe the Concords dropped in September 2000 and that's where it all really started from. The retroes wouldn't last past the weekend here in Miami, but that's a different story.

I loved the xvii.

I loved it even more when they went on sale to 129.99 on Nike lol

I grabbed each and every pair including lows.

Great balling shoe.

The packaging on that shoe was insane.

Really started the trend of special packaging

Last edited:
They sat in Miami. My brother got a pair and I didn't. That was always a shoe I coveted.
Here in Broward County the xvi's sold out quick if I remember correctly.  At least the midnight blue was a mission, and I had to go up a .5 size to get a pair.  Then again back in those days I never thought about driving to Miami ....

Doubled on the Navy 16s. Cherrywoods and Gingers got worn on a regular.
Black/Red 16s were special. MJ's style and ideas were all over that shoe.

The XVIs were dope. Reminded me of marching band shoes with the gaudy patent leather toes. The upper shroud would just attract attention. To me it looked like a bat or batmans cape. I wondered if blindness was an inspiration behind the shoe because the 16s had raised dots in places like Braille iirc and bats are blind. Watever the case, Retro needs to happen.

Last edited:
Weren't the XVIs still a weekday release? I don't remember any craze until Saturday midnight and morning releases. Not anything that prevented people from copping that could make it to the store at least.

Weren't the XVIs still a weekday release? I don't remember any craze until Saturday midnight and morning releases. Not anything that prevented people from copping that could make it to the store at least.

It may have been Friday release. 2000 XIs if I remember correctly were a a Wednesday release.

Never owned OG 16's. I bought the 2 cdp's and wasn't a huge fan of the cushioning, however it's a dope look without the shroud.

Back
Top Bottom