Nike Air Jordan Retro 3 OG “Fire Red” 2022

Responses got me thinking. This shoe came out before I was born (1989). Grew up in the thick of the 90s watching him tho. What crazy is that I am old enough to be a university professor, and be around 18-22 year old kids all day

My oldest students this year were born in 1999. My youngest were born in 2004-2005. It's crazy to think but many of them have ZERO connection to Michael Jordan the player (Besides maybe their dad likes him). They were all born either after retirement number 2 or 3. If they're not into sports (which many Gen Z kids are not) you can literally show them a picture of plain clothes Michael Jordan, and some of them do not know who he is. No lie

Most of them of course know "Jordans" the shoe brand, but Michael Jordan may as well be "The sneaker designer who makes the Travis Scott shoes" to some of them

I say all of that to say this. Happy days and smooth sailing are ahead, because outside of Jordan 1s these jits don't care about Michel Jordan, nor do they have nostalgia for his shoes. Air Jordans are becoming a brand for the 30+ crowd, which means for us in that club, every year moving forward it's just going to get easier and easier to cop. Even the classics

Responses got me thinking. This shoe came out before I was born (1989). Grew up in the thick of the 90s watching him tho. What crazy is that I am old enough to be a university professor, and be around 18-22 year old kids all day

My oldest students this year were born in 1999. My youngest were born in 2004-2005. It's crazy to think but many of them have ZERO connection to Michael Jordan the player (Besides maybe their dad likes him). They were all born either after retirement number 2 or 3. If they're not into sports (which many Gen Z kids are not) you can literally show them a picture of plain clothes Michael Jordan, and some of them do not know who he is. No lie

Most of them of course know "Jordans" the shoe brand, but Michael Jordan may as well be "The sneaker designer who makes the Travis Scott shoes" to some of them

I say all of that to say this. Happy days and smooth sailing are ahead, because outside of Jordan 1s these jits don't care about Michel Jordan, nor do they have nostalgia for his shoes. Air Jordans are becoming a brand for the 30+ crowd, which means for us in that club, every year moving forward it's just going to get easier and easier to cop. Even the classics
This right here is essentially what the challenge will be with the brand given that it's really named after one player/individual. They've attempted numerous times to include a multitude of sports, with a multitude of athletes to evolve and conquer and have gone down the rabbit hole of collabs. Without proper history and storytelling, it's just going to be another classic that nobody but us old heads know about.

So basically all the younger gen care about is 1s, 4s, holiday 11s and colabs... Seems about right... I go to alot of middle/high school sporting events. I mostly see crocs, yeezy slides, and dunk lows... Jordans 1 thru 14 are the lesser of the crowd... Of course Jordan 1s are the bulk of that Jordan crowd.

Dunks and Jordan mids are the wave for the younger generation. With all the crazy colors and crazy panel designs they are what these kids like...

72833F13-992C-4831-85B5-A217ADD61DF0.gif

Back
Top Bottom