Nike Air Jordan Retro Metallic V - 7/23/16

smart man
But my opinion is trash though
laugh.gif

My friend your opinion on the True Black/Metallic Silver/Varsity Red/White Jordan V is less than a savory one.
smile.gif
It's Black, Metallic Silver, and Varsity Red (Black, Black, and Metallic Silver for the 1990 and 2000 versions) not True Black, Metallic Silver, Varsity Red, and White. Also you agreed with my opinion on just purchasing one; have a nice day sir.

Last edited:
Not trying to nitpick, but the truth is the embroidered "E" on the heel does noticeably look a little shorter and thicker than the embroidered "NIK" on pretty much ALL of the "early retail" pics out there. I went back and looked at as many of them as I could find. It didn't look like this on the pics of the official Nike prototype from last year from when they announced OG remastering. Maybe they altered something about the stitching process? Hard to say.

The other thing I've noticed is the font on the "NIKE" on the bottom of the shoe is visibly NOT as slanted as it was on the OGs and 2000s. I also think it looked better on the prototype.

Are either of these relatively minor details going to be dealbreakers to me? No. I'll still be getting my pairs.

But I'm not going to lie. These differences ARE ultimately disappointing.

When JB goes out of their way to charge an additional $30 per pair markup on top of an existing $65 per pair markup on decades old technology (OG Vs were $125, 2000s were $120), and justify it by publicizing and highlighting to consumers a process that they say will keep so-called "storied silhouettes" as close as possible to original designs and materials, and they then visibly deviate from that process, it's disappointing. Maybe that disappointment is amplified to people like me who have owned every single iteration of this model over the years, for whom it's one of our favorite sneakers ever. In the end I doubt younger consumers are going to care much. And it's not like they totally butchered the shoe.

It's not the earlier release of the ATC III for Christ's sake.

To purists though, it IS disappointing. Without a doubt. Just another example of where JB gives us ALMOST but not quite what we wanted.

End rant.

EDIT:

Prototype:

View media item 2090466
Prototype:

View media item 2090471
Early Release YouTube video:

View media item 2090472
Early Release YouTube video:

View media item 2090474
One of AT's Early Release pics:

View media item 2090475

Last edited:
View media item 2089944

NIK is at a 18 font, then the E is at like a 15. Somebody forgot to highlight the whole word during an edit in the design process.

UGH, is THAT what you think happened with the E? If true, that means there were a LOT of points in the manufacturing process that they could have caught this before the line in the factory ever got started. That is, IF Jordan Brand or its manufacturing partners had any kind of quality control.

Just the possibility that this is true now really pisses me off. This makes sense to me though. In the past I directed ops for a small clothing company. I think I know a little bit about the production process, LOL. I could imagine some E on some master spreadsheet within the design team being mis-formatted. This would be an inexcusable error. SOMEONE should have caught it. The owner at my old company would have had someone's head. Literally. I mean, like Lucy Liu prancing on top of the board room table in Kill Bill. LOL.

I can't imagine the man himself approving manufacturing to go ahead with a visibly misshapen E. But then again, maybe they're not running final prototypes by him anymore? Just a thought.

​
Well if you really wanna nitpick @Pain, the swoosh isn't crisp either.
laugh.gif
It starts to lean toward the end, on that retail pair.
 ​
 ​
On the OG's, it was perfect. Oh, & you're not nitpicking @Pain. You're stating a very valid opinion. Repped G.

Last edited:
^^^That's a better look, but then why do the retail pairs people already actually have in their hands have the misshapen E? I hope somehow they come out looking like the above pic, but I won't hold my breath. And the Swooshes still aren't straight. LOL.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom