Nike Air Jordan Retro Metallic V - 7/23/16

Like I said I don't necessarily believe the 'plan' or whatever they had. It was probably just something they thought sounded good at the time lol.

I'm not worried about the big shoes. The 2s were never very popular and I'm sure that's why they waited this long. The 12s are definitely a mystery. That is a popular shoe.
I remembered when and where it was said. It was the brand president or some top exec, and it was a quote in Nike's info about the playoff 12s (and perhaps other upcoming releases) when it officially announced they were on the release schedule. So it wasn't even that long ago, and already JB has defied that statement with its ongoing release schedule :lol:
I years ago stopped putting much stock in what anyone over there says about the brand's mid- to longterm plans and philosophies. Gentry said a bunch of wild ish about what would and wouldn't be done, and it all only lasted a couple few years. I don't know how frequently JB has staff turnover, but it kinda seems like a lot, and every new person who comes in with decision-making power throws the previous plan and logic right out the window.

I remembered when and where it was said. It was the brand president or some top exec, and it was a quote in Nike's info about the playoff 12s (and perhaps other upcoming releases) when it officially announced they were on the release schedule. So it wasn't even that long ago, and already JB has defied that statement with its ongoing release schedule :lol:
I years ago stopped putting much stock in what anyone over there says about the brand's mid- to longterm plans and philosophies. Gentry said a bunch of wild ish about what would and wouldn't be done, and it all only lasted a couple few years. I don't know how frequently JB has staff turnover, but it kinda seems like a lot, and every new person who comes in with decision-making power throws the previous plan and logic right out the window.
We can easily make a whole book of all of the lies Jordan Brand and Nike has said over the past 20 years. I don't know if they're intentionally lying or just freestyling in every interview.

I even think I remember Gentry himself saying the 2s would never come back because the mold was lost. :lol:

We can easily make a whole book of all of the lies Jordan Brand and Nike has said over the past 20 years. I don't know if they're intentionally lying or just freestyling in every interview.

I even think I remember Gentry himself saying the 2s would never come back because the mold was lost. :lol:
:lol:
Gentry also said NA would never return, the IIIs were "going in the vault" for an extended period ...
But to the point, in reality it was more like, this is what's going to happen *as long as I'M still the one making decisions*--things changed real quick when he moved over to NSW. And much for the better, I say.
I actually don't think they mean to lie about most of this stuff, other than not wanting to give away future plans too early. I think the person speaking probably means it at the time, and/or also gets taken out of context. Like the quote we're talking about that said releases should/would be tied to meaningful dates/events/anniversaries. It was a short snippet in what was basically a press release. It didn't actually say, "From now on, ALL our OG colorway retros will ONLY be released on significant milestone dates."
It seems more like poor/unclear messaging rather than blatant lies, at least to me. It may also not be helped by the fact the internal strategies change rather routinely. I mean, if you asked me something about what my company is doing right now in terms of strategy, I could give you a real and honest answer. But eight months from now, the answer could be significantly different. I was telling you the truth when I answered originally, even if not too far down the road it looks like I lied LOL

This is cool to know Michael Jordan first wore this color in the 1990 NBA All-Star Game.

It's also crazy to me that it took me years to learn the version he wore differed from the retail version regarding the 23 on his and not on the retail version. I admit I learned about that on this website from users reiterating that throughout the years. I assumed the retail version mirrored his version as a majority of the Jordans have been manufactured that way.

I finally took a picture of myself wearing these when I wore them with this jacket yesterday.
IMG_6729.JPG

An on-feet picture.
IMG_6731.JPG

Hope so, I will be doubling up

Still tight i missed 2018
It was 2016 dawg, not ‘18.
Here in LA, I had several chances to buy them at retail in person in stores, and despite having OGs and previous retros and it being one of my favorites, I just couldn’t do it. Hated the toes and the tongue. Hoping the next version’s improved. Almost has to be, the way JB is doing things lately.

It was 2016 dawg, not ‘18.
Here in LA, I had several chances to buy them at retail in person in stores, and despite having OGs and previous retros and it being one of my favorites, I just couldn’t do it. Hated the toes and the tongue. Hoping the next version’s improved. Almost has to be, the way JB is doing things lately.

Yea my bad 16

Yea not a fan of that tongue either

You know these are coming back sooner than later. We’re creeping up on seven years, unbelievably.
need grapes first

they've been 10 years unless you count the lace less Fresh Prince pair 5 years ago...I passed on those since they didn't have laces when in hindsight I should have grabbed them and use a leather punch 🤷‍♂️

need to break these and fire red V's when the weather is better

need grapes first

they've been 10 years unless you count the lace less Fresh Prince pair 5 years ago...I passed on those since they didn't have laces when in hindsight I should have grabbed them and use a leather punch 🤷‍♂️

need to break these and fire red V's when the weather is better
I thought the same in hindsight about the fresh prince grapes….there’s a dude on YouTube with a video on how to punch laces holes with before and afters. Cuz you know when the grapes release it’ll be sumthin other than true NA OG.….smh (although I’ll lose it if they release em true OG shape and NA💯🔥baby)

Back
Top Bottom