Nike Air Jordan VI White/Red 23rd Anniversary Edition (Jan/Feb 2014)

My local footlockers did reserves and they all sold out. Meanwhile back in November, I walked in and got a reserve ticket for the Laneys 8 hours after they opened. These may not be that hard, but now I'm slightly concerned. 

I still want a 2010.I will pick these up and see whats up tho.

Yall think a DS 2010 infrared or varsity will be wearable now?

What had better quality the 2010 infrared or varsity?

Thanks I just got tired of the infrared slander so when I told people on my fb page they didn't want to believe me until now

In bright light these do look very bright pinkish red, in dimmer light they look like the perfect shade to the OGs. I have no worries! still going to cop even though i saw them in person

Last edited:
Where is the post about these and the Vs are like some Cambodian leather and you thought you were wearing the shoebox with how fast they crease? That **** is funny. My Vs instantly creased from putting my feet in them. Awful leather and the toe box feel was atrocious.

I can't justify spending resale value for some of these Js based on quality alone.

If the quality is that terrible on these, those tax refund ballers will regret spending it on these to floss their 1 and done check status. 

They destroyed this release. Saw these in hand and they aren't even infrared. ***** look orangish/pinkish. Like a pink orange. Nothing like the OG. I guess that's their way of offsetting this release because they always change something from the original to set it apart. And yes I know infrared is pinkish. I have the original AM90 infrared and these are nowhere near that color.
"Another interesting tidbit that I learned is that Infrared wasn’t actually used on the Air Max 90. The original Air Max 90 was officially labeled as Radiant Red.  Now if Radiant Red is the exact same red as Infrared and Nike just uses different names for different categories is up for debate."

http://blog.finishline.com/2014/02/11/infrared-the-craft-behind-the-color/

people still complaining bout infrared vibrance
mean.gif
 Hopefully eveyone passes exactly like the '10 varsitys and goes on the sale racks. Would love to snag these lower than 170, i'm just low on funds right now. And yea i just love how the red pops on these, remiscent of this OG pic:

Last edited:
ITS BEEN SAID, I'M GONNA SAY IT MYSELF... THIS NEW 2014 'INFRARED' IS NOT ACCIDENTALLY "BRIGHTER/MORE PINKISH/ORANGE" THAN THE OG AND PREVIOUS RETROS.

PEEP THIS:
[h2]  [/h2][h2]  [/h2][h2]INFRARED: THE CRAFT BEHIND THE COLOR[/h2]
I decided with this weekend’s coming release of the Air Jordan VI Infrared, I would do a little research as to what the history was behind the color. With a color that is so popular and iconic, there has to be some deep-rooted reasoning as to why Nike picked it, right?

Well, the truth is no.

There is no great reason as to why the color was selected. I talked with Tinker Hatfield about it to get a first hand perspective on the highly saturated color [infrared]. He told me that the goal of the color was to be a very, very bright contrast compared to what else was going on in the market place.

Nike was the first company to use such a bold color of red, and the Air Jordan VI was the first basketball shoe within the company to use Infrared. They felt that it added a unique flourish and finish to the product.

Another interesting tidbit that I learned is that Infrared wasn’t actually used on the Air Max 90. The original Air Max 90 was officially labeled as Radiant Red.  Now if Radiant Red is the exact same red as Infrared and Nike just uses different names for different categories is up for debate.

One thing that I always thought was interesting about Infrared is that it doesn’t really match with the Bulls’ uniforms. Varsity Red and Infrared are at two ends of the spectrum when it comes to the red pallete. If not paired properly, the colors would clash immediately. But because Infrared was used in very specific areas of the shoe to help highlight the styling, there was no clashing between Michael’s uniform and the hue on his feet.

One thing that is often taken for granted is just how challenging it is to consistently replicate a color, especially on varying materials. The high saturation of the Infrared makes it nearly impossible to get the shade to look just right on fabrics like suede and nubuck. Especially since infrared was originally created in paint form and has a consistent formula used to make it.

Materials like suede and nubuck are particularly challenging to consistently match color with because they have different tones of color within them. Oftentimes red colors tend to look pink on suede and nubuck because they can’t fully absorb the dye to get the right amount of saturation in them. They also tend to bleed and fade profusely and quickly.

When designing a shoe, you don’t always have the choice of choosing what factory your shoe is going to be manufactured in. And because shoes are made globally, and not just in one country or even continent, you have to establish a way of making sure all colors and materials match from one manufacturing facility to another.

To help make Infrared consistent globally, a set of masters  was created to match to. A master is the end-all be-all of what a color should be. Think the color is too pink? Compare it to the master. Think the color is too blue? Compare it to the master. Is the grain too glossy, making the color shift from angle to angle? Compare it to the master. The master becomes the single most important thing to matching a color.

This weekend’s “total” Infrared Air Jordan VI  is so important because the Jordan Brand battled through the challenges of matching an inconsistent color space to make it consistent in a material outside of paint. This understanding gives all of us the opportunity to celebrate the iconic Infrared color in a way we never have before.

Brett Golliff, footwear extraordinaire, is founder of BrettGolliff.com, contributor for Complex, and has previously designed for New Balance. Check him out on Twitter  and Instagram.

This post was written by BRETT GOLLIFF

MIND: BLOWN

I still want a 2010.I will pick these up and see whats up tho.

Yall think a DS 2010 infrared or varsity will be wearable now?

What had better quality the 2010 infrared or varsity?

Why wouldn't they be wearable now?

ITS BEEN SAID, I'M GONNA SAY IT MYSELF... THIS NEW 2014 'INFRARED' IS NOT ACCIDENTALLY "BRIGHTER/MORE PINKISH/ORANGE" THAN THE OG AND PREVIOUS RETROS.

PEEP THIS:
[h2]  [/h2][h2]  [/h2][h2]INFRARED: THE CRAFT BEHIND THE COLOR[/h2]
I decided with this weekend’s coming release of the Air Jordan VI Infrared, I would do a little research as to what the history was behind the color. With a color that is so popular and iconic, there has to be some deep-rooted reasoning as to why Nike picked it, right?

Well, the truth is no.

There is no great reason as to why the color was selected. I talked with Tinker Hatfield about it to get a first hand perspective on the highly saturated color [infrared]. He told me that the goal of the color was to be a very, very bright contrast compared to what else was going on in the market place.

Nike was the first company to use such a bold color of red, and the Air Jordan VI was the first basketball shoe within the company to use Infrared. They felt that it added a unique flourish and finish to the product.

Another interesting tidbit that I learned is that Infrared wasn’t actually used on the Air Max 90. The original Air Max 90 was officially labeled as Radiant Red.  Now if Radiant Red is the exact same red as Infrared and Nike just uses different names for different categories is up for debate.

One thing that I always thought was interesting about Infrared is that it doesn’t really match with the Bulls’ uniforms. Varsity Red and Infrared are at two ends of the spectrum when it comes to the red pallete. If not paired properly, the colors would clash immediately. But because Infrared was used in very specific areas of the shoe to help highlight the styling, there was no clashing between Michael’s uniform and the hue on his feet.

One thing that is often taken for granted is just how challenging it is to consistently replicate a color, especially on varying materials. The high saturation of the Infrared makes it nearly impossible to get the shade to look just right on fabrics like suede and nubuck. Especially since infrared was originally created in paint form and has a consistent formula used to make it.

Materials like suede and nubuck are particularly challenging to consistently match color with because they have different tones of color within them. Oftentimes red colors tend to look pink on suede and nubuck because they can’t fully absorb the dye to get the right amount of saturation in them. They also tend to bleed and fade profusely and quickly.

When designing a shoe, you don’t always have the choice of choosing what factory your shoe is going to be manufactured in. And because shoes are made globally, and not just in one country or even continent, you have to establish a way of making sure all colors and materials match from one manufacturing facility to another.

To help make Infrared consistent globally, a set of masters  was created to match to. A master is the end-all be-all of what a color should be. Think the color is too pink? Compare it to the master. Think the color is too blue? Compare it to the master. Is the grain too glossy, making the color shift from angle to angle? Compare it to the master. The master becomes the single most important thing to matching a color.

This weekend’s “total” Infrared Air Jordan VI  is so important because the Jordan Brand battled through the challenges of matching an inconsistent color space to make it consistent in a material outside of paint. This understanding gives all of us the opportunity to celebrate the iconic Infrared color in a way we never have before.

Brett Golliff, footwear extraordinaire, is founder of BrettGolliff.com, contributor for Complex, and has previously designed for New Balance. Check him out on Twitter  and Instagram.

This post was written by BRETT GOLLIFF

MIND: BLOWN
good read repped

Just heard so many stories of older soles being brittle or cracking after just sitting for years
they're only 4 years old. Wost that can happen is the paint cracks, but not the midsole. Correct me if i'm wrong but i read somewhere on how jb switched from their midsole formula like almost a decade ago. Which is why you don't see the midsoles of retros like the 06 militarys or mars crack

Ok,thanks guys.I will go for the 2014's and see how I feel.If I dont like them I will buy some varsitys

Looks like I may get a pair. Went to enter the raffle and the store only had one page of names. Then after that it started snowing like crazy lol and the raffle ends today

Back
Top Bottom