Nike Basketball (any brand) Rotation/Performance Reviews

Lol I see sneaker highway at the park right now testing the new kawhi. Dude looks really different in real life

Hey, everybody. I wanted to post something, real quick, and let you all know that I enjoy playing in multiple different pairs and comparing the performance aspects. If you're in the 30+ category and want some decent feedback from an older baller, feel free to look me up on IG (same username) or send me a message on here. No need to follow me. I'm not looking or begging for followers. I just like to post my thoughts and help others if I can. I play like a shooting guard (cut a lot, constantly moving, changing directions, changing speeds, setting screens, rolling out, tight defense on guards) but I also have the size (thickness :rofl: ) to post up or guard the big man.

Hello NTers! im in need of new basketball shoes, so any advice/personal opinions are welcome! Im torn between KD13s and Lebron 16s. Why is that, well because im an older guy (35+) and having a bodyweight of around 200 pounds, also have a surgically repaired left knee so a great impact protection and cushion is a must for me.

What comes to my style of play, i play pretty much a combo guard/small forward kind of ball, where i move constantly, i am a main ball handler on my team, shoot lots of mid-range/long-range jumpers, some occasional drives to the basket for a lay-up or kickout to the other shooters.

My favorite shoes from a few years past are Westbrooks first Why Nots and Nikes Zoom GP Retro. Reason i dont like Lebrons newest (17s) is because that Air Max bubble is too high for my liking. I havent had a chance to play in 16s, but atleast they look lower on the back. Why im kinda conserned about the KD13s, is because i had a pair of 12s, and they gave me blisters everytime. I even tried a half size up, still the same thing. Anyone know if the 13s fit is as narrow as 12s?

So, what would you guys recommend? Lebron 16 or KD13? Also, if there is other options, im more than willing to think about them also!

Between the two, Lebron 16

Also look at the Zoom BB NXT. The zoom pods in those feel bouncier than the Lebrons and offer more impact protection.

Last edited:
My favorite shoes from a few years past are Westbrooks first Why Nots and Nikes Zoom GP Retro. Reason i dont like Lebrons newest (17s) is because that Air Max bubble is too high for my liking. I havent had a chance to play in 16s, but atleast they look lower on the back.

the lebrons 16 fits pretty high up. That's just how the lebron line runs, it's the sacrifice of max impact protection. As for your blisters, have you tried using different socks since sizing didn't fix that problem? Also the newer westbrooks the Zer0. 2 and 3 are really solid shoes, they have a super thick phylon heel and decoupled midsole, it plays very similar to the jordan xx9.

the lebrons 16 fits pretty high up. That's just how the lebron line runs, it's the sacrifice of max impact protection. As for your blisters, have you tried using different socks since sizing didn't fix that problem? Also the newer westbrooks the Zer0. 2 and 3 are really solid shoes, they have a super thick phylon heel and decoupled midsole, it plays very similar to the jordan xx9.

I have pretty much tried every kind of sock combination there is, tried playing in maybe 5 different kinds of socks, tried to double sock, tried taping my foots where the chafing happened, same result everytime. Which is a bummer, because I really liked the cushion KD12 provided.
Between the two, Lebron 16

Also look at the Zoom BB NXT. The zoom pods in those feel bouncier than the Lebrons and offer more impact protection.

Thanks, will take a closer look at that too. From what i have read about, people are complaining alot about them being really unstable because of the soft and high-off-the-ground cushion. You have any first hand info about that?

I have fluid buildup in my knees and haven't played outdoors for 10+ years until this fake virus closed down doors, but I have no pain at all running for hours with the Zoom BB NXT. Court feel will be similar to the 17s but I don't feel too high off the ground. The zoom air is bouncy and the react provides enough responsiveness throughout. They feel lower than the 17s

Hello NTers! im in need of new basketball shoes, so any advice/personal opinions are welcome! Im torn between KD13s and Lebron 16s. Why is that, well because im an older guy (35+) and having a bodyweight of around 200 pounds, also have a surgically repaired left knee so a great impact protection and cushion is a must for me.

What comes to my style of play, i play pretty much a combo guard/small forward kind of ball, where i move constantly, i am a main ball handler on my team, shoot lots of mid-range/long-range jumpers, some occasional drives to the basket for a lay-up or kickout to the other shooters.

My favorite shoes from a few years past are Westbrooks first Why Nots and Nikes Zoom GP Retro. Reason i dont like Lebrons newest (17s) is because that Air Max bubble is too high for my liking. I havent had a chance to play in 16s, but atleast they look lower on the back. Why im kinda conserned about the KD13s, is because i had a pair of 12s, and they gave me blisters everytime. I even tried a half size up, still the same thing. Anyone know if the 13s fit is as narrow as 12s?

So, what would you guys recommend? Lebron 16 or KD13? Also, if there is other options, im more than willing to think about them also!

Sounds like our ages, bodies, and games are similar. I don’t like the LeBron 16s. They feel high off the ground, overly stiff zoom, and I don’t like the roll from the toe off. The KD13s are very nice for me. Fit and cushion are better than the 12s. I also really like the XXXIV mids and lows. The Zoom BB NXT also feels pretty awesome, but I’m saving my pair for indoor play and have only tried moves in the house.

Confirm for me - the kd13 is a WAY better fit and the zoom feels great. I’m a little older than you but still run point and cut off screens and play defense hard and the KD13 is great.
I like the Lebron 16 too though, but it does ride higher. I actually think the lows have better lockdown and are a better shoe.

I'm in the same boat— 35+, around 200 pounds, 2 knee surgeries. I swear by the Jordan 34s. That eclipse plate gave me new life lol. I also get them a half size up. Lebron 16 lows were nice as well. I couldn't do KD 12s because of how narrow they were. I also had the same problem with the Lebron 17 with the high heel drop.

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat— 35+, around 200 pounds, 2 knee surgeries. I swear by the Jordan 34s. That exlipsle plate gave me new life lol. I also get them a half size up. Lebron 16 lows were nice as well. I couldn't do KD 12s because of how narrow they were. I also had the same problem with the Lebron 17 with the high heel drop.

Thanks for the insight, but I wish I could say the same about 34s. That eclipse plate was an absolute deal breaker for me, as it kept digging into my arch, or better off, to the lack of my foot arch since I really dont have any arch on my left foot :frown:

I made an order from Nike on your insights guys, ordered a pair if KD13s (bleach pair is already available in my country) and BB NXTs. Gonna end up returning one pair of those two, lets see which one fits me and my play style better :smile:

Any recommendations are still welcomed! :smile: have a good week people, stay safe!

Thanks for the insight, but I wish I could say the same about 34s. That eclipse plate was an absolute deal breaker for me, as it kept digging into my arch, or better off, to the lack of my foot arch since I really dont have any arch on my left foot :frown:

I made an order from Nike on your insights guys, ordered a pair if KD13s (bleach pair is already available in my country) and BB NXTs. Gonna end up returning one pair of those two, lets see which one fits me and my play style better :smile:

Any recommendations are still welcomed! :smile: have a good week people, stay safe!

Happy to weigh. Let us know how you like the shoes when you get them in. 😎

I recently played in the RS Dreamer "Purple Heart" for a few games. The fit was good, containment was good, and the cushion felt more broken in (initially) compared to the Clyde Hardwood. Traction was good for the first game but then became spotty at the end of the last game. I don't blame the shoe. I was playing on a Sport Court and it's definitely not wood. No idea what it is but I definitely wouldn't judge the traction until I play on some hardwood.
Next up, I broke out a pair of Kobe V Protro "What If" and had a good time in them. I had the same results as above but the traction lasted longer. It wasn't until the last couple of points when the traction started to give out a bit. Don't know how much I'll be playing in them as my knees get used to the constant jumping and jolting then the heels will be too mushy to play in. This happened with the Protro "Chaos" pair and I was feeling pain in my heel and Achilles so I had to stop using them for ball.

I recently played in the RS Dreamer "Purple Heart" for a few games. The fit was good, containment was good, and the cushion felt more broken in (initially) compared to the Clyde Hardwood. Traction was good for the first game but then became spotty at the end of the last game. I don't blame the shoe. I was playing on a Sport Court and it's definitely not wood. No idea what it is but I definitely wouldn't judge the traction until I play on some hardwood.
Next up, I broke out a pair of Kobe V Protro "What If" and had a good time in them. I had the same results as above but the traction lasted longer. It wasn't until the last couple of points when the traction started to give out a bit. Don't know how much I'll be playing in them as my knees get used to the constant jumping and jolting then the heels will be too mushy to play in. This happened with the Protro "Chaos" pair and I was feeling pain in my heel and Achilles so I had to stop using them for ball.

How do you feel about the Omn1s Low compared to the Mid?

How do you feel about the Omn1s Low compared to the Mid?
Damn it. I forgot to mention that I played in the Omn1s Low "OKC" last weekend. :lol: For me, the difference in negligible. That sock/knit upper is so flexible at the collar of the mid that it allows me to play like I'm wearing a low. As for the low, the only real difference I felt was at the top of the laces. I just have to remember not to tighten them up too much because of that possible pressure point. I re-tied them once and was good to go. Traction was great too on the opaque-translucent outsole. I plan on wearing the same pair this coming weekend on a different court. I'll try to post a follow up review for you.

Headed back indoors to hoop. Looking like KD 13 I should go for? I played 3 times a week before covid hit haha. Now I need to ease back into things.

Headed back indoors to hoop. Looking like KD 13 I should go for? I played 3 times a week before covid hit haha. Now I need to ease back into things.
No sign heading back indoors over here. It’ll be a weird transition back for sure with joints and muscles. Overall play going to be terrible.

Easing into things is definitely going to be the move. Gyms/courts round my way been shut down since Feb. Got dudes around my way saying when the lab opens back up they hooping 7 days a week to make up for lost time. After 7 months and who knows how much longer of doing nothing. SMH.

No sign heading back indoors over here. It’ll be a weird transition back for sure with joints and muscles. Overall play going to be terrible.

Just for the pounding of joints, cushioned shoes like the LBJ 17 and the LBJ 18 are in my wheelhouse. Also, the Jordan 35 depending on the specs. Have no problem waiting it out for discounts as it seems like early 2021 before we get in a gym around this way.

May need to look at the KD 13 from what a few people posted. Stayed away from the KD 12 because of the flimsy upper and translucent bottoms.

Last edited:
KD 12 has been fine for me and don’t think the upper is flimsy. The outsole has has great traction too.

Been fortunate enough to run full the past two weeks
24F1665F-02F9-45CB-8612-3E586DDB562A.jpeg

8759C626-5082-4F83-A3BF-2E6C702D2DD9.jpeg

Said I was only going to wear Kobe’s from here on out, but man I sure do wish these shoes had a little more cushioning in them. Both times my knees were killing me afterwards

I've been easing back into it the last two weekends and going again tonight and tomorrow morning. Been using shoes with more cushion to help brace the impacts. RS Dreamer, Omn1s Low, Kobe V Protro, AJ XXXIII, etc. Going to try with some "faster" shoes tonight and see how I feel.

Again here for the performance kicks recommendations 🙄 my physician diagnoses me with some sort of overpronation and basically ZERO arch on my left foot. He said that those two things are pretty much the reason for my ankle/foot/calf/lower back pains and constant fatigue in legs.

So, im back here for bball shoe recommensations. I have been lately using KD13s as my main hoop shoes, they feel great on court but man does my feet hurt after pickup games. Also been using CP3 XIIs, and Nike Zoom GP Retros. Im a sucker for Zoom, and good impact protection (which from what I understand, is a culprit for overpronation) and support, which I also think is a big deal for overpronation.

Just got a shipping email from my cousin who gave me his old pair of Why Not Zer0.1 Chaos, so hopefully that us gonna solve atleast some of these problems. Gonna take some time off from basketball now, gotta heal these feet now or im gonna regret it later 😅

Back
Top Bottom