Nike Cuts Ties with Several Small, Local Retailers - EFFECTIVE JUNE 30, 2013 - MORE TO COME

grapeape

Banned
So, it looks like Nike may be doing something about what some consider to be corrupt practices at a lot of Mom and Pops type stores.  On Friday, they exercised their right to terminate the accounts of several Philadelphia, PA and Camden, NJ area retailers.  No specific reason was given yet, and store owners are still looking for answers.  There looks to be more of these cuts coming in the near future.

I know a lot of people here benefit from the mom n pop types stores because we have been giving them our business for a long time.  While most customers and the new generation on twitter are probably praising this move, NT seems like a community that will be negatively affected by this change. 

Nike hasn't said why, but speculation is that it is because of early sales, selling for insane, inflated prices, and overall bad business practices with no concern for the customers of these account owners.  I am not stating my view on either side of this argument right now, and I know there are a lot of guys in here that will love this move... and a lot of guys that are going to be up in arms about losing their connect.  There will even be people whose pockets are going to take a direct hit because they won't be getting those FSR's out the backdoor on every release anymore. 

Will this drive down prices in the resell market?  Increase availability to customers?  Or just make for a mess with fewer locations available to buy your releases from?

The 2 links below tell the story so far, and I will paste the stories in here as well.

From Sneaker Bar Detroit:

Nike is giving the boot to several small, local retailers. Without explanation.

CBS3 first reported Friday afternoon that the athletic wear company told select area stores that as of June 30, their accounts are being cut off. The reason why remains unclear.

Business owners throughout the Philadelphia and Camden regions have received emails from the sporting apparel and footwear company saying that the retailer is “exercising its right to terminate your accounts.” It’s unknown whether Nike is taking the same approach with stores in other cities.

Keith Sherman, store manager of the three Real McCoy Athletic Footwear locations throughout the region (in Olney, on Cecil B. Moore Avenue and in Camden), says Nike products account for 75 to 80 percent of his store’s sales. “Those numbers are staggering,” he said over the phone Friday.

Even more mysterious is the manner in which Nike is handling the situation.

“We had scheduled a meeting at the Nike Headquarters in Portland, Oregon with our sales rep,” Sherman said. “And that meeting was canceled that day — they wouldn’t even see us,” he added. The account termination email arrived in store owner William Chung’s inbox shortly after the canceled meeting in Portland. The notice listed “no reasons whatsoever” as to why Nike was severing ties with the shop. Sherman says Real McCoy Athletic Footwear has been doing “good business” with Nike for over 23 years.

Currently, small “mom-and-pop” shops like Top Shoes, Center City Sports and Shoe Plus are among the only known stores affected.

Nike said in a statement released to CBS3:

“Nike is constantly evaluating its distribution needs with a view to enhancing its brand. This includes adapting our distribution strategy to the changes in our consumers’ purchasing behavior, the retail landscape, and our brand strategy.”

Nike did not return our request for comment on Friday. More to come.

Source: Philly

http://sneakerbardetroit.com/2013/04/nike-cuts-ties-with-several-small-locations/

And a similar story from CBS channel 3 affiliate in Philadelphia:

One of the largest makers of athletic gear in the world is pulling its items off some local store shelves.

In an Eyewitness News exclusive, retailers tell us they believe they are being discriminated against by Nike.

It’s the last thing store owners ever expected.

They are receiving letters and emails from Nike, telling them they can no longer sell their gear. They say it’s a crushing blow to the business and wonder why.

For 16 years, Top Sportswear served shoppers in North Philadelphia. In Olney, Real McCoy Sports for 23 years and Shoe Plus Athletic Footwear has been around the Nicetown-Tioga Neighborhood for 35 years.

And shoppers like Regetta and Blair Simmons appreciate having these stores within walking distance from their homes

Blair Simmons of North Philadelphia said, “They give us good service here and they treat us right here.”

But one by one, according to business owners, six stores so far in Philadelphia and Camden have gotten emails from Nike: One of which read in part, “No disrespect to our 23 years of relationship” and letters which read, “Effective June 30th.. Nike is exercising its right to terminate your accounts.”

Keith Sherman, Real McCoy Sports Manager, “As far as sales for this store, you’re talking about 75-80% Nike. So you cut out the Nike that pretty much cuts me out too.”

Sherman has managed the Olney Sporting Goods store for 21 years and hearing Nike explain in an email quote, “We are a premium brand and our brand deserves the best platform” is troubling.

Sherman said, “We are the small mom/pop shops, we’re the ones being cut out.”

In a statement, Nike told us:

“Nike is constantly evaluating its distribution needs with a view to enhancing its brand. This includes adapting our distribution strategy to the changes in our consumers’ purchasing behavior, the retail landscape, and our brand strategy.”

But for the retailers we spoke with, their interpretation is much different.

Sherman explained, “I mean, us, urban, the hood.. We built that, we built Nike. We helped that brand get up there and this is what we get in return?”

Nike is so far confirming that it will no longer be accepting new orders from some accounts. So we asked Nike why these neighborhood stores were chosen and in all, how many accounts are being terminated but we have not yet heard back from them.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/20...lling-its-items-off-some-local-store-shelves/

What do you guys think of the changes and how could they affect you locally?

Last edited:
What probably happend to those stores is that they probably got greedy and somebody reported them. With all the people that hate the twitter and raffle processes they don't need anything else to deal with

I think JB is doing a facelift. First, they stop selling retros in Outlet Mall Stores in the hopes of making their product more "worthy/important/sought after". And now this move on the mom and pops??
It could be too that they want to end all the "backdoor" deals at all these mom and pops?

We do know that JB is into making money. This might make things worse. As far as buying new releases.

The way the lines were set up around here were horrible the last line I was in was for the bin 13s and they had people running from hoh cherry hill to ubiq in Philly saving spots it was insane

this'll make it harder for any entreprenuer to establish a nike acc.

did anyone ever shop at one of these places? maybe someone could shed some light on whether these stores were charging extra(bad business practices).

i don't think this is about backdoor dealings and slightly inflated selling prices but more about getting out of certain "hoods". i haven't shopped at any of those locations nor talked to any nike/jb reps. just my thoughts..  

Not surprised. Shops need to blame the people who post pics all over the net and social media. All they have to do is find out where these people are located, read their posts on twitter, ig, fb, etc, and put two and two together. Funny because i already had the locations in mind before clicking on the post.

I've never bought a shoe for a mom and pops shop so I actually see this as a good thing that those pairs will go to RSVP @ NTs, online, raffles by FTL, etc. :smokin Hopefully they crack down on all shady spots.

Sucks for those of you that relied on them tho.

Last edited:
Good news. More pairs for us.

I spoke to an eBay reseller and he says he gets his stuff from a network of contacts who works in boutiques.

They kind of did it to themselves... Sucks for a hand full of people... I've picked up a few pairs from mom and pops, when I've been to NYC and before moving here to LA. It was more of a spur of the moment type thing though, never relied on em.

might be Nike/JB just consolidating and cutting out da middle man...money grab if you will.

might be Nike/JB just consolidating and cutting out da middle man...money grab if you will.

That's kind of what I thought. They can keep those pairs for either their online inventory and eventual restocks down the line or they can direct them to Niketowns for release day. I though it was an option for them to up their direct sales volume without cutting into FTL/FNL and other large accounts inventories. Keep the big accounts happy and still get that guaranteed money upfront and still have more pairs available to their customers that shop at Nike owned options that just sell out of these releases all of the time at almost any realistic volume. That could be a few thousand less people on their twitter feed cussing them out every Saturday morning too hahaha....

These stores upsell their retros before and after their release date. Nike has a strict policy with release dates and those stores messed up, it's really their fault.

Last edited:
I've never bought a shoe for a mom and pops shop so I actually see this as a good thing that those pairs will go to RSVP @ NTs, online, raffles by FTL, etc.
smokin.gif
Hopefully they crack down on all shady spots.

Sucks for those of you that relied on them tho.
kettle calling the pot black there buddy

Most of those stores are in Philly, where I live. I'm VERY familiar with Real McCoy and I did get to speak to the manager since this story came out.

Basically, from what I understand, it's not shady business practices. I'm sure that Real McCoy DOES do shady business practices, but for Nike to single out a few small stores in Philly when the SAME EXACT THING runs rampant in NYC, right under Nike's nose (waddup 21 Mercer). When I spoke to the manager, he said that Nike wouldn't give them a straight up answer, but they did send an email, something to the tune of Nike is a premium product and so should be sold and displayed in premium places.

Essentially, Nike told these Mom and Pop shops that your stores look like crap, so we're pulling your accounts because you don't deserve to sell Nike.

And I will say that Real McCoy and Shoe Plus (both stores that I used to get STEALS at before the retro boom that followed the Concord release) look like some early 90's Asian-run mom and pop store. Piles of sale sneakers on the floor...same wall display from 1993. All the old Nike signs that are on the brown box, everywhere in the store. Some might refer to them as "vintage" but in truth, Shoe Plus and Real McCoy absolutely do need a makeover.

The sad part, though, is those stores will be closed in about 2 months after June. The Cecil B More location is on Temple University's campus and rent, I'm sure, is an arm and a leg.

can't speak for these specific stores but i've been to a mom & pop store in western NY state where they were actually rocking the shoes @ work before the release date

hope some innocent stores don't get caught in the net

i don't think this is about backdoor dealings and slightly inflated selling prices but more about getting out of certain "hoods". i haven't shopped at any of those locations nor talked to any nike/jb reps. just my thoughts..  

doubt that. nike/jb HAS to have their presence in the "hood" bc the "hood" dictates to the masses and mainstream what is "hot"

doubt that. nike/jb HAS to have their presence in the "hood" bc the "hood" dictates to the masses and mainstream what is "hot"

I agree. It has to be from shady business stuff. Theres still plenty of mom and pops in the hood with Jordan accounts. You piss off JB though, you're done.

Back
Top Bottom