Nike debuts New Air Trainer 1- Set to release 7/1/2009 (aka the manny trainers)

Originally Posted by lbj19

Originally Posted by barry

Looks like the trainer 1 PE from Eastbay are now backordered until 7/6
they even took it down, they might've gotten a ton of orders.

Yeah, I just saw that. Was going to order the AP.....hopefully the order I placed for the LT yesterday doesn't get cancelled.

I called last night, to confirm my order.

Sales Rep told me they had indeed been pushed back to monday the 6th, and there had been an onslaught of orders...

I totally understand how these sold out, awesome shoe aesthetically and then they came out with some really interesting colorways with good names behind them.The LTs are my favorite of the bunch on Eastbay, such an interesting colorway, although I didn't pull the trigger on any of them.

I am holding out for Amare's or Polamalu's, if they are even going to be released. Does anyone know if those colorways are scheduled for generalrelease like these pairs?

peace,

Jonas

some final impressions

This may come as a positive, or possibly a negative if you look at it from another light, but a sz13 comes in weighing just 14.25 ounces. I have a pair ofasics running shoes weighing 14.55 ounces... At1 retros come in at 16. zoom trainer 1 at 16 as well. These are the lightest shoes I have ever seen in a midcutform. Now you may ask whats two ounces? That's about two empty 20oz soda bottles.. Not much weight. Now you can ask yourself what was taken out or evenadvanced to reach such a low weight..

The shiny synthetic overlay as I was describing in the other thread isn't too soft but it has some give to it. I wouldnt call it complete flexibility. Thematerial bends and moves then pops back into place. The whole upper tends to create some flex points as your moving. It tends to crinkle like an acordian inthose spots It's unlike anything ive ever seen

Some photos
5703539b497f65eec255c6d5b51c7f2582ac76d.jpg
eda3599c4cb96763c2acc294b5ed6119cffc5fb.jpg

The whold shiney upper tends to bend and create its crease points all over the shoe
eyes.gif
. You'd have to see it to get what i'm saying. It's not something that makes or breaks the shoe but its there.

Some may be asking about the cut of the shoe. Unlike earlier reports, I would still call these 3/4 cut shoes. If anyone is familiar with the zoom trainer 1,they are exact replicas in the cut catergory. Both go right to the lower part of the ankle.. The original air trainer 1 (high) tend to go about 1/2 inch higherand over your ankle bone area.

Lastly, since Nike is calling this a rebirth shoe and assumptions are being made on the consumer end, I would highly advise against using these as an "allpurpose" gym shoe. It's been said before but these truly are a new generation edge/sparq trainer meant to strengthen your feet and preparing you foryour sport by doing drills, unlike actually using them in the gym for everything. The cut of the shoe isnt the issue here. It has more to do with the freephylon midsole at the forefoot area.. Using them for Drills and strengthening your feet -hell yeah... basketball or racquetball with inadequate cushioning- noway. its definetly a niche shoe like any runner or basketball specific shoe out there. it doesnt do it all like its father- the air trainer high.

with all that said, i dont think a free based shoe is worth $90. Not to mention the synthetic leather and synthetic suede upper. The whole shoe is all around abit rough. Definetly not a sign of a SIGNATURE PRODUCT.. I would put these in around $65-75 with better materials costing $90. Then again most signatureproducts are in the $110 dollar range and these are not for the first generation run. They are posing as a signature run but the price point gives it away.Personality disorder in the fullest from nike. Consumers need to see through that

Steelers all day for me, so you y'all know what I'm holding out for and need in my life. Palomalu and that's all folks.

Wally, what in your opinion is Nike's best all around gym shoe? Or the best all around gym shoe period?

a few ramblings

I would add. they look great on ones foot. they just fit right and look right.. as a casual shoe wearer, these are definetly viable. For me a big part of the"problem" is what you hear. REBIRTH... you also hear 20 years since the bo campaign started. this would be the one shoe that bridged that gap. But itjust doesnt wow me. It may wow others and thats fine. I've worn shoes with synthetic leather/suede uppers casually and the comfort is average at best. thealternative is much better. TO TRAIN in something like that would be hard to accept.

my fav. gym shoe since 2005 has been the zoom trainer 1... soft leathers and suede/nubuck finishes. it just fits right in for an indoor cross training shoe.dual zoom air in the forefoot and heel.. Its just an all around comfort beast. You feel very low to the ground in the pair and as a flat outsole, its ideal forthe weights. Cushioning is there with the zoom air for basketball. Retail price was $110. Marketing was average at best. The shoe went under the radar and soonvanished. In that time period, it was known as the REBIRTH shoe. A pamphlet for the shoe reads " LOOK BACK. MOVE FORWARD- Rebirth Air TrainerOne".

Many don't know or have experience with that pair so for many, this new trainer is truly the only viable alternative out there.. This new trainer remindsme a lot of the 2008 zoom tennis trainer, a copycat of the zoom trainer 1 but with a $80 dollar price point instead of the $110. That shoe too, featuredsynthetic leather on the upper and toebox area. Soft, it was not. Zoom air was still in the shoe though. There is many guesses as to why it was $80 dollarsthis time around.. R&D costs were already attributed to the first run in 2004.. The leathers on the shoes were average? etc.

Featuring the same types of materials as the new trainer, I would almost venture to say the 08 tennis trainer holds more weight as a gym shoe than this newtrainer simply because of the dual zoom air.. zoom air cannot be understated. This also brings me to the earlier point of the new trainers needing to costless. If a 08 tennis trainer at $40-60 dollars is on par with this latest trainer, than what is all the fuss about a shoe that costs $90 bucks?

some positives to synthetic suede.. Water is not an issue. Hardier is a term I would use to describe it. With the tennis trainer, speculation is there aboutwhether they went the synthetic route to save money and have the lower MSRP or because it's truly a "hardier more durable" material. Except forsome possible water stains I would say the real materials win out everytime. Comfort > potential more durable materials. who needs durability if the shoewon't even be worn enough to reach that point because its uncomfortable?

To analogize between real and fake materials, think of a hotel towel. The towel is just rough as if the fabric has no softener in it. You get by with it, butits not ideal.

I forgot to mention one of the most shocking things about this new trainer. now it may be a positive or a negative depending on how you view it.

This shoe features one of the thickest springiest most cushiony insoles I have ever felt or worn. It reminds me of the old vintage 1970 nike runners beforethere was air. The insole was the support. Here its almost an overpowering cushioning feeling on your feet. The question to ask is, is this secondarycushioning to the midsole components like the majority of other nike shoes, or is this the primary source of comfort? once the insole wears out, what do youdo? Foot to ground cushion comfort is amazing with this pair, unlike any new shoe ive ever worn. The insole appears to have increased cushioning near the ballof your foot as well as the arch area.. Remember the arch supports nike used to give with its shoes? it feels just like that.

Just thought i'd throw that out there for those wondering about the cushioning. I'm always one to ask why. Some see a nice insole cushioning and moveon. Im just left wondering. almost every nike shoe ive ever worn has let the midsole foam/air do the talking. Here its the insole providing quite the bounce.is this a new trend with nike? cheapen up the shoes back the 1970 standards and throw in a dr scholls insole that feels good initially? I guess we'll findout

Originally Posted by lbj19

Originally Posted by barry

Looks like the trainer 1 PE from Eastbay are now backordered until 7/6
they even took it down, they might've gotten a ton of orders.

They took it down when you do a Nike Trainer 1 search but if you click on the new shoe release in the front page, it still pops up. But not its Excluded fromany discount. Good thing I put my order in when it popped up the first day. Got to use the 30% off.
http://www.eastbay.com/product/model:136957/sku:87150051/?supercat=home

nike.com has a few pairs up that are "out of stock" and one pair that has the sizes marked out.. that means only one thing.. the release on there isimminent.

be on the look out for the GRs on there especially the one that looks like the legacy pack pair

Spotted these "samples" on that auction site.

I love what i see here. Why do the samples always have to be better than the real thing?
ba9253b41a671c4acf3ba23a87fbcb4e876506a.jpg
1f23585341b66223cea8c8f0beaa81fbffe9487.jpg

cb7152476ecbccb9a90301ba8eb8242309410b8.jpg
0bd35fe943416840c4f6c204becd18b2fba22c3.jpg

59135b1d48496e9fc757cd5dbe6ed81008ba162.jpg

-Real nappy suede grey toebox and ankle area..
-Smaller non overpowering swoosh without the tacky stitched swoosh border
-color coordinated lace loops on each colored section unlike the finished product with nothing but grey/black everywhere
-no visible air.. who really cares.

This shoe exudes balance, attention to detail, and great quality materials.. It was changed and left out why?
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
indifferent.gif

too bad they didn't leave the shoe like the sample above. the free trainer 5.0's are one of my favorite training shoes of all time. i wish i hadbought up more pairs

super comfortable. i wore them all day when i was traveling at multiple airports. copped the black pair at the nike store in the mall of america. dude evenhelped me find the cactus pair in niketown chicago.

Saw the color options and was immediatly reminded of an old love. Wish I could find another pair of these in my size somewhere. I proceeded to make 8-10designs and these two were my favorites. Thinking of ordering one or the other. BIGGEST problem is that too many of the options (laces/lining and collar/vamp)are linked color wise so it was hard to find something close and likeable.

olympic-air-force-ones-1.jpg

Was leaning more towards the white midsole than the black, but figured I would show one of the options w/black midsole. Side pannel can also be metallic silverwhich is supposed to be same color as the lateral strap, but it does not look as good when previewing the shoe in ID.

Back
Top Bottom