Nike in the news again for harsh conditions overseas.

*puts on Nike Flightposite III Battlegrounds*

Seriously, just because the factories are used by Nike and other brands doesn't mean that they are aware of everything going on there. Its easy to point the finger at them.

Seriously, just because the factories are used by Nike and other brands doesn't mean that they are aware of everything going on there. Its easy to point the finger at them.

Originally Posted by Furrell

come on son i love Nike as much as the next guy but a billion dollar company can't be that blinded 

come on son i love Nike as much as the next guy but a billion dollar company can't be that blinded 

As the article states, it's been a decade since these issues were first brought up internationally.

As the article states, it's been a decade since these issues were first brought up internationally.

i don't like their practices and i don't buy ... i wish my reasons for not buying were related to their practices
30t6p3b.gif
@ me ...

but in all seriousness ... it's just sad

i don't like their practices and i don't buy ... i wish my reasons for not buying were related to their practices
30t6p3b.gif
@ me ...

but in all seriousness ... it's just sad

Not only are these conditions unethical on an international level but it shows a lack of understanding of the Indonesian people. They are some of the most un-confrontational people in the world.

They feel they must avoid shame at all expense, and consequently are very careful at how they interact with others.

Although a foreigner can not be expected to understand the nuances of the concept it is crucial to keep an eye on ones behaviour.
One should never ridicule, shout at or offend anyone. Imperfections should always be hidden and addresses privately. Similarly blame should never be aimed at any individual/group publicly. One manifestation of the concept of face/shame is that Indonesians communite quite indirectly, i.e. they would never wish to cause anyone shame by giving them a negative answer so would phrase it a way where you would be expected to realise what they truly want to say. Bahasa Indonesian actually has 12 ways of saying "No" and several other ways of saying "Yes" when the actual meaning is "No."

http://www.buddhistravel....ex.php?id=92,403,0,0,1,0

Back
Top Bottom