Nike Kyrie 5

These Taco Kyrie's are wild difficult to put on, what's y'all secret? Taking the shroud off takes long too.

Edit: figured an easier way.

Please share cause I’m out on this model if it’s this hard to get on. Wtf is with Nike making shoes difficult to put on. It’s a struggle to buy some pairs, now it’s a struggle to wear some pairs. Nike killing me.

Please share cause I’m out on this model if it’s this hard to get on. Wtf is with Nike making shoes difficult to put on. It’s a struggle to buy some pairs, now it’s a struggle to wear some pairs. Nike killing me.
PLEASE SHARE!! I came here just for this! Just took me forever to get these on and it almost hurt to pull em off!

Reactions: SkZ

PLEASE SHARE!! I came here just for this! Just took me forever to get these on and it almost hurt to pull em off!

Aight, so taking the shroud off one loop frees up a lot, but is a task to get the shroud back on. So what I did was pull the lace down each hole in the shroud and it frees it up. I hope that makes sense.

Attachments

• 67190AFE-9B9F-4766-AF91-ABB46FEC9199.jpeg
    67190AFE-9B9F-4766-AF91-ABB46FEC9199.jpeg
    366.1 KB · Views: 39
  • C245BF6B-CA0D-4911-80C7-93447EE32B94.jpeg
    C245BF6B-CA0D-4911-80C7-93447EE32B94.jpeg
    367.1 KB · Views: 33
Aight, so taking the shroud off one loop frees up a lot, but is a task to get the shroud back on. So what I did was pull the lace down each hole in the shroud and it frees it up. I hope that makes sense.

So the lace is pulling on the cable now directly instead of the cables pulling on each other?

So the lace is pulling on the cable now directly instead of the cables pulling on each other?

Nah, it's the same set up. Pull the lace AND cable down out of the shroud together. The circle shows the lace and cable down out of the hole. Then you pull the lace back through (blue arrow) when you're ready to tie them.

Attachments

• DA4F2A24-619E-4169-88CD-B81F02FF6C22.jpeg
    DA4F2A24-619E-4169-88CD-B81F02FF6C22.jpeg
    425.5 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
I’m in colorado about a hour from the nearest footlocker..took my son this weekend to get the Kyrie 5s Black magic. He went up a full size and went to wear them today before a game and said they were too big:sick::smh:

If anyone wears a 10.5 and interested and can save me a trip to footlocker I will let them go for $110 shipped:nerd:

ya i've done what the video said before but it's such an ordeal to do that every time i want to get my feet in there. by the time i try to pull the laces back up through the strap, my instep is strangled again. i really wish nike would've given us just a little more slack for the flywire on the strap.

Kyrie 5 Performance Review:

I've played in the black magic CW for about 5 days at 1-1.5 hrs each day. Here are my thoughts - as always, feedback is welcomed!

Traction:
Like most Kyrie shoes, these do not disappoint. The outsole pattern incorporates some story-telling but not at the expense of sound traction. These do not have the outsole traction peeling up into the toebox on the lateral and medial sides as much as the 4s and 3s do, but it still has that rounded feel to it when playing on the balls of your feet and cutting/changing directions. I loved the traction on the 5s and would not complain about anything, and I play on decent courts - not squeaky clean but not filthy, either. The occasional mid-game swipe was all that was needed and I was good to go. I don't think these would hold up well for outdoor use as the tread does not seem as thick, nor rigid, as previous models did.

Cushion:
This is maybe my 2nd favorite part of the shoe (I'll get to my favorite in a bit). The zoom turbo unit can be felt right out of the box (at least for me) and the heel-to-toe transition with the turbo is amazing. For those who play on their forefeet, this is a nice change from the predecessors in having this new zoom setup in the forefoot as opposed to in the heel. The best part about the zoom turbo unit is that you do not sacrifice court feel with zoom in the front - something that cannot be said for other shoes with similar set-ups in terms of zoom placement. On liftoff, and upon landing, the shoe feels great while never sacrificing the court feel quicker players love. It's a real treat to play in and gets better as you break in the outsole more and more.

Fit/Support:
So as referenced earlier, THIS is my favorite part of the 5s. I like to couple fit and support in to one category since they go in hand-in-hand, and these shoes are monsters in this category. The flytrap set-up on the midfoot is a pain in the *** when you first wear these, as they seem to constrict the upper severely. Hence break-in times. Most people don't remember, but the old leather kicks took weeks sometimes to get that buttery feel, and these are nowhere near like the shoes of the past, but it took a solid 3 days of playing in them to break in. The flytrap loosens up as the upper loosens up, and that only comes with time. Once that's done, the flytrap is merely a complex flywire set-up that secures your foot really, really well. At first, it was weird - I thought I didn't have long enough laces when lacing through the top-hole for playing. After breaking them in and re-tying my laces, I was able to get the flytrap to really harness the flywire such that my feet did not move a bit when laced. I loved that seamless feel while running and a true 1-to-1 fit with the shoe. Because of this, and the low center of gravity giving that great court-feel, the shoe's support was stellar. I never once worried about an ankle roll since you're not sitting too high off the ground, and the heel-to-toe transition I touched on earlier was incredible because of the fit and support going together so well. These are a real treat to hoop in. My one caveat for the masses - these are narrow as hell. I have skinny feet and getting these on my feet were a pain due to the narrowness and the flytrap constriction at first. Once I wore them a few days, they get so much better and easier to put on. I definitely recommend trying them on (if possible) but don't let the initial struggles of getting them on foot discourage you. These will loosen up.

The details and design of the shoe look great, but I think for $130, you really get a bargain. I am sure with more colors coming out these will go on discount and I will definitely grab another pair at that time. The only negative aspect is that wide-footers might find these to be a pain, and the break-in is not that fun. Once you get past that period, these really are great shoes to ball in. I don't do a number system or anything like that, I just give my experience playing in kicks and hope it helps people who might not be able to try them on before purchasing. Any questions, send em my way!

Back
Top Bottom