Nike NBA Apparel and Jersey Thread: 2017-18 NBA Season Takeover

$75 markup on retail is disappointing but it’s better than what resellers will be charging. Might hit ndc/fanatics at $225 eventually but who knows

$75 markup on retail is disappointing but it’s better than what resellers will be charging. Might hit ndc/fanatics at $225 eventually but who knows
Let resellers have em. I’d rather cop em at 225 than pay over a hundred dollar premium after the tax and ship. I’ve seen quite a few sitting on eBay. Nike ruining the fun of collecting jerseys. Turning it into a beanie babies game.

And fyi guy who was offering to cop those lamelo jerseys was asking $400 shipped

Didn’t even open the message and just deleted it :lol:

People are wild. I remember back in the day helping people grab some retro 1s and charging them tax and shipping

This **** so stupid

Not sure how many of u were around in the rev30 days but adidas msrp was already 300 so nike prices are really not that crazy when u factor in the additional markup of sponsor patches / diamond logos / inflation. They literally knocked 100 off authentic msrp when they debuted five years ago. Not that i wanna spend 300 on a jersey but it doesnt seem outrageous either

Not sure how many of u were around in the rev30 days but adidas msrp was already 300 so nike prices are really not that crazy when u factor in the additional markup of sponsor patches / diamond logos / inflation. They literally knocked 100 off authentic msrp when they debuted five years ago. Not that i wanna spend 300 on a jersey but it doesnt seem outrageous either
I had a decent amount of rev 30 jerseys. Didn’t pay more than $100 for any of them and that includes superstar players. Most were copper under $80

Hell I grabbed 4-5 boxed Kobe’s for $60 a piece

Should held onto them :smh:

And fyi guy who was offering to cop those lamelo jerseys was asking $400 shipped

People are wild. I remember back in the day helping people grab some retro 1s and charging them tax and shipping

This **** so stupid

Tbh I don’t mind giving them 10% extra as the gas price is soaring, $6 + per gallon here in LA .. but 400 is not too bad compare to eBay price:frown:

Called bulls store, was told all city authentic are gone, who would pay $350 for a Caruso authentic? 😲

Yup. And also got em on the cheap. Mesh, or otherwise, never spent more than 100 Unless it was game worn or team issued. D will and Johnson jerseys. 16 bucks on modells. Picked up some knicks and Celtics, nom mesh numbers, but 30 to 50 a piece. The swingman jerseys usually copped for 40 or less unless it was an Xmas jersey.

****s ridiculous all around.

These things shouldn’t be limited to team stores only in the first place. And the phone order stuff is dumb. Ok you want to deter nationwide resellers while giving local resellers a monopoly on them.

If the store gets 50 in. How hard is it to set some of the stock aside for phone orders. Keep the rest for in store and limit it to 1 per purchase on either end if the stock is limited.

Hell the whole concept of a different city edition jersey every single season is dumb as hell to me in the first place. It’s just a shameless cash grab. Hell most teams already have a home, Road and alternate jersey as is (or whatever names Nike calls them). Now you need a different city edition jersey every season, an “earned” jersey if you make the playoffs and potential throwbacks on top of that. Like how many different jersey sets does a team need to wear each season lmao.

I liked Nike nba jerseys when they had the contract for some teams the first time around between 97-98 to 03-04. But this current run they’re having is ridiculous. Jerseys shouldn’t be like sneaker releases where fans have to go through all sorts of hoops and hassles to get a jersey of their favorite team/player.

And I blame Nike more than the resellers. If in 2003 I wanted a Kobe, Lebron, or McGrady authentic or even an authentic from a lesser popular team, I had plenty of avenues to acquire one. Both Nike and Reebok authentics were easily obtainable during that time. It’s crazy seeing people having to go through loops and bounds to get a Timberwolves authentic or a random Hornets authentic.

This **** so stupid

I figured he wasn’t doing it strictly out of the kindness of his heart :lol: But it is what it is. Aside from the pay via cash app only. I’m indifferent toward him making some $$ of an in store release he has access to since he lives by the arena.

These things shouldn’t be limited to team stores only in the first place. And the phone order stuff is dumb. Ok you want to deter nationwide resellers while giving local resellers a monopoly on them.

If the store gets 50 in. How hard is it to set some of the stock aside for phone orders. Keep the rest for in store and limit it to 1 per purchase on either end if the stock is limited.

Hell the whole concept of a different city edition jersey every single season is dumb as hell to me in the first place. It’s just a shameless cash grab. Hell most teams already have a home, Road and alternate jersey as is (or whatever names Nike calls them). Now you need a different city edition jersey every season, an “earned” jersey if you make the playoffs and potential throwbacks on top of that. Like how many different jersey sets does a team need to wear each season lmao.

I liked Nike nba jerseys when they had the contract for some teams the first time around between 97-98 to 03-04. But this current run they’re having is ridiculous. Jerseys shouldn’t be like sneaker releases where fans have to go through all sorts of hoops and hassles to get a jersey of their favorite team/player.

And I blame Nike more than the resellers. If in 2003 I wanted a Kobe, Lebron, or McGrady authentic or even an authentic from a lesser popular team, I had plenty of avenues to acquire one. Both Nike and Reebok authentics were easily obtainable during that time. It’s crazy seeing people having to go through loops and bounds to get a Timberwolves authentic or a random Hornets authentic.

Nike is emulating the soccer model. Some jerseys are harder to get than others especially as they change YoY. There's an abundance of swingman but the authentics are made in lesser quantities.

Jerseys were easily attainable because they were overproduced and no one bought them back in the day. At the end of the day these companies are out to turn a profit. Its bad business for them to be stuck w inventory thats unsellable when their contracts expire. The current scarcity of jerseys is a good thing in the long run because it shows nike that theres a viable market for authentics. As an example there are far more white jerseys being manufactured now than in 2017. When i talked to the raps buyer about it he said it was because white jerseys dont sell. Nike is obligated to produce whatever the teams request.

Which reminds me that in 2017 there were a ton of nike authentics all over the place. Kobe mambas, those jordan jerseys etc were all sitting in footlockers and no one was touching them. Stuff was getting liquidated all over the place. Now there is a shortage because of the jersey boom… i figure it’ll even out eventually

I don’t blame that Kobe and Jordan stuff for sitting. It was that crappy aero material and it was jerseys in a style those players never wore. Those understandably would be a tough sell when Mitchell and Ness has a more accurate version. Plus weren’t they charging $400 or some crazy price for those.

But even swingmans in some of these city edition jerseys are unreasonably hard to find. I can rationalize producing less authentics than swingmans. But they should be realistically obtainable. But that’s Nike for you. The fanatics monopoly doesn’t help either.

Hell even majestic MLB authentics could easily be had for years. Nike uses the exact same template and slaps a swoosh on them and suddenly it’s a hassle to find basic home and roads for some teams which could easily be had as recent as 2019.

This is strictly NBA related stuff. So I won’t get started on the Adidas nhl “authentic” jerseys they sell in stores. But I get that companies are trying to make money. But it’s been a **** show in terms of accessibility for a lot of authentics over the last few years.

I don’t blame that Kobe and Jordan stuff for sitting. It was that crappy aero material and it was jerseys in a style those players never wore. Those understandably would be a tough sell when Mitchell and Ness has a more accurate version. Plus weren’t they charging $400 or some crazy price for those.

But even swingmans in some of these city edition jerseys are unreasonably hard to find. I can rationalize producing less authentics than swingmans. But they should be realistically obtainable. But that’s Nike for you. The fanatics monopoly doesn’t help either.

Hell even majestic MLB authentics could easily be had for years. Nike uses the exact same template and slaps a swoosh on them and suddenly it’s a hassle to find basic home and roads for some teams which could easily be had as recent as 2019.

This is strictly NBA related stuff. So I won’t get started on the Adidas nhl “authentic” jerseys they sell in stores. But I get that companies are trying to make money. But it’s been a **** show in terms of accessibility for a lot of authentics over the last few years.
So youre talking about the pandemic. Its been beaten to death but: supply chain.

Will see how it is in a year but i doubt its this bad.

Also the fact that the jerseys were aeroswift was no excuse for them to be sitting (ya the jordan ones were a rip off). The average consumer doesnt know the difference between aeroswift and vaporknit. Theres a reason a buncha team shops were using aeroswift blanks for two, three years after they were released. Consumers gotta put their money where their mouth is

Back
Top Bottom