Nike NBA Apparel and Jersey Thread: 2017-18 NBA Season Takeover

Nuggets one is so dumb and ridiculous that I like it. It’s like a mind ****, why would a jersey have this many numbers on it?

DC and ATL are terrible.

Jazz also sucks. The rest are plain and underwhelming or look like a recent jersey.

The Nets' City Edition (KAWS) is my favorite new design this year. I'm looking forward to scooping up the shorts.

Other than that one, I'm digging the Bucks' City set, Pacers' City set and Magic Classic set.

B0456B1A-BF8D-499C-B374-3CFA42DD13E2.jpeg

Wizards
The Designer: "Oh crap I forgot to delete the Blazers layer in the final artwork file!"

for the millionth time, nike doesn't design the jerseys.

not always.

Dustin Canalin is the guy who designed the Warriors 'Town' jerseys. On his LinkedIn, it does not say "Warriors designer". It says "NIKE Art Director" from 2016-2019. He also designed the City editions for 76ers, Wolves, Nets, and Bulls. (he was a rare good Nike designer and not responsible for the garbage post-2019 jerseys - those would be other Nike designers.)

So this debunks the myth that Nike defenders falsely parrot - that they are always designed by teams and not Nike. (not you particularly, but others ITT know who they are lol)

are there ones not designed by Nike? Yes like Miami Vice (no surprise those were good). there are also many designed by individuals who are neither Nike nor team designers, like Lakers Lore series and Warriors flower. Nike might even hire them to Beaverton HQ just to design some unis, which they did with Canalin.

Do teams have final say whether to approve a jersey? Sure. But when nike gives you 10 designs and you HAVE to choose one but they are all sh*tty, what are you supposed to do? lol

Last edited:
not always.

Dustin Canalin is the guy who designed the Warriors 'Town' jerseys. So I dug in and viewed his LinkedIn and guess what? It did not say "Warriors designer". It said "NIKE Art Director" from 2016-2019. He (NOT team designers) also designed the City editions for 76ers, Wolves, Nets, and Bulls. he is one of the rare Nike designers that were actually good, and not responsible for the garbage City editions that came after 2019.

are there designs that were made by teams and not Nike? Yes, like Miami Vice (no surprise that those turned out good). there are also many that are designed by individuals or local artists who are neither Nike or team designers, like the Lakers Lore series and Warriors flower. They might even hire these artists and move them to Beaverton HQ just to design some uniforms, which is what they did with Canalin.

Also want to add, do teams have final say whether to approve a jersey? sure. But when nike gives you 10 designs and you HAVE to choose one but they are all sh*tty, what are you supposed to do? lol

you're right, maybe i shouldn't have generalized. they could always task nike to do it if they're lazy or don't want to.

as it's been stated in his thread before, teams should reach out to the fans thru social media every year and task them to design.

not always.

Dustin Canalin is the guy who designed the Warriors 'Town' jerseys. So I dug in and viewed his LinkedIn and guess what? It did not say "Warriors designer". It said "NIKE Art Director" from 2016-2019. He, NOT team designers, also designed the City editions for 76ers, Wolves, Nets, and Bulls. he is one of the rare Nike designers that were actually good, and not responsible for the garbage City editions post-2019, but my point is this debunks the myth that Nike defenders (not you particularly, but others ITT know who they are lol) always falsely parrot - that unis are always designed by teams and not Nike.

are there designs that were made by teams and not Nike? Yes, like Miami Vice (no surprise that those turned out good). there are also many designed by individuals or local artists who are neither Nike or team designers, like Lakers Lore series and Warriors flower. They might even hire these artists and move them to Beaverton HQ just to design some uniforms, which is what they did with Canalin.

Also want to add, do teams have final say whether to approve a jersey? sure. But when nike gives you 10 designs and you HAVE to choose one but they are all sh*tty, what are you supposed to do? lol
Spurs had the same city jersey for 3 seasons. I don’t think you have to change them every year. But again, the owners’ greed knows no boundaries. Thats why we have ugly patches on jerseys now.

Spurs had the same city jersey for 3 seasons. I don’t think you have to change them every year. But again, the owners’ greed knows no boundaries. Thats why we have ugly patches on jerseys now.

That's true, Jazz re-used same city also and Memphis didn't even have one for 2019-20 lol. But i think these are outliers and probably only one or two teams are allowed to do that in any given season.

That's true, Jazz re-used same city also and Memphis didn't even have one for 2019-20 lol. But i think these are outliers and probably only one or two teams are allowed to do that in any given season.
I think, for the most part, every team has had at least one good City jersey since 2017. I just wish teams would do what the Heat did once they got a good design - just bring it out in a different color every year.

Back
Top Bottom