Nike Sportswear x INSA Exhibition (July 17-26, 2009)

Street artist INSA's recent buzzed-about work pays tribute to the runner with 35 portraits of feet that he hand painted in East London. Produced bymedia think-tank Protein and created in collaboration with Nike Sportswear's IAM1 Journey Project, it's part of a push by the brand (see the campaignon CH and beyond) to celebrate the history of Nike's Air Max 1 as they launch the new Air Maxim.

The artwork spans East London along a route mapped out by spoken word artist Charlie Dark (of the London running group Run Dem Crew) for the Journey.Inspired by the Dark and the runners, INSA-who is more widely known for his graffiti of a woman's foot in heels-explains, "I'm not really much ofa runner, but I thought maybe my artwork would travel around the city. My art would do the running for me."

INSA's longtime collaborator and photographer Ethel documented the week-long jaunt, resulting in a high-def, stop-frame animation of the excursion. Thevideo will play as a focal point of INSA's solo show, "Looking For Love In All The Wrong Places," which opens this Friday at Nike's pop-upspace in Shoreditch.

The exhibit will also feature a large-scale installation conveying typical INSA topics, including fetishism, aspiration, success, love, self-reflection andreality. Visitors to the gallery will get to see a new set of INSA's PVC canvases too, keeping his Griffiti Fetish series alive, in addition to threesigned and numbered limited-edition prints.

The Nike Sportswear INSA Exhibition takes you through a brief history of the Air Max silhouette in the most literal sense. INSA said,"It started with Charlie Dark and the Run Dem Crew and got me thinking of how I see London and running. And I'm not really much of a runner, but Ithought maybe my artwork would travel around the city. My art would do the running for me."

The "Looking For Love In All The Wrong Places" exhibition runs from July 17th through July 26th in London.
pimp.gif

nike-insa-1.jpg

nike-insa-2.jpg

nike-insa-3.jpg

nike-insa-5.jpg

nike-insa-4.jpg

nike-insa-6.jpg

nike-insa-exhibition-1.jpg

nike-insa-exhibition-2.jpg

nike-insa-exhibition-3.jpg

nike-insa-exhibition-4.jpg

nike-insa-exhibition-5.jpg